Ecobee Plugin

Posted on
Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:26 am
rapamatic offline

Re: Ecobee Plugin

johnf wrote:
Can anyone confirm whether the ecobee4 works with this plugin, and if so, how well? Trying to decide whether to get an ecobee3 or ecobee 4. Thanks!

I can't personally confirm it, but since they would all be accessible under the same API, I can't think of any reason it wouldn't work...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Posted on
Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:42 pm
mundmc offline

I use an Ecobee 4 and an Ecobee 3 Lite, they both work. Granted, I still have to reload/ re-authenticate every several days, but my understanding is this is being worked on.

Posted on
Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:43 pm
johnf offline

Thanks!

Posted on
Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:30 am
koensayr offline

FWIW I am also experiencing the authentication issues. Though mine seem to be more request then just a few days, it happens to me shortly after I load the plugin

Posted on
Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:30 pm
GRWilde offline

I am recently experiencing major authentication problems with the plugin. Previously the plugin only lost authentication every few weeks - but now it is daily or several times a day.
Often it occurs shortly after midnight

George Wilde

Posted on
Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:28 pm
GRWilde offline

I added a python script to restart the Ecobee Plugin whenever I detect that the Ecobee plugin looses authentication. Restarting the plugin gives an authenticated response and the data seems to be OK from all four sensors, at least for a while. It appears that the problem is more of loosing connectivity with the Ecobee than having to go through the entire authentication process again.

George Wilde

Posted on
Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:12 pm
johnf offline

Do you think this is an issue that can be resolved through an update to the plugin, or is this just the way it's going to be? I really like the ecobee4, especially for the Alexa voice control, and want it to work with Indigo. I would hate to have to choose between them.

Posted on
Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:59 am
rapamatic offline

johnf wrote:
Do you think this is an issue that can be resolved through an update to the plugin, or is this just the way it's going to be? I really like the ecobee4, especially for the Alexa voice control, and want it to work with Indigo. I would hate to have to choose between them.

There is no reason this shouldn't be able to be resolved trough modifying the plugin.

Following up on my prior post - I have seen several people try to contribute code to this project, but I suspect the original creator has become overwhelmed with other stuff and hasn't been able to focus much on the plugin. At this point I think we need to transition ownership/management of the plugin code (perhaps to a group of people) so it can be more frequently updated/maintained. I know only enough to be dangerous in this regard, but I could certainly help. I just don't know the best way to proceed - perhaps I will copy the existing code and put a second plugin in the system?

Jay/Matt - Any guidance on the best way to proceed here?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Posted on
Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:08 am
mundmc offline

I have no idea experience writing plugins, but I happily volunteer to be a tester!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:48 pm
blysik offline

If the code is available on github, it seems reasonable to fork and work on it. The only sticking point is that it doesn't include a license.

Posted on
Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:37 pm
rapamatic offline

blysik wrote:
If the code is available on github, it seems reasonable to fork and work on it. The only sticking point is that it doesn't include a license.

Yeah, I’ll do that tonight/this weekend. I don’t know how to handle putting it in the Indigo plugin database but we can cross that bridge later.

I’ll post a link to the new github page once I fork it, and then I’ll try to bring in the pull requests that are waiting on the old plugin.

Posted on
Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:22 am
koensayr offline

When you are ready to start hacking away at this, let me know. I'd really like to leverage the plugin and see no reason why we can't figure out someplace in the codebase to re-auth occasionally

Posted on
Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:00 am
rapamatic offline

I’ll try to do it over the next few days - half my family (including my wife) has the flu, so I’ve been stuck playing nurse the last week.

If anyone else wants to try forking it go ahead... I can probably hack my way through it but I am not an expert on this stuff....

Posted on
Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:29 am
mundmc offline

Following- and happy to test.

Posted on
Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:07 pm
koensayr offline

I've been messing around with this tonight and I'm narrowing in on what I think the bug is. I'm posting it here basically for conversation sake and for others to build upon what I've tracked down thus far:

Code: Select all
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "plugin.py", line 384, in runConcurrentThread
  File "/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 7/Plugins/Ecobee.indigoPlugin/Contents/Server Plugin/pyecobee/__init__.py", line 333, in update
  File "/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 7/Plugins/Ecobee.indigoPlugin/Contents/Server Plugin/pyecobee/__init__.py", line 155, in get_thermostats
  File "/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 7/Plugins/Ecobee.indigoPlugin/Contents/Server Plugin/requests/api.py", line 67, in get
  File "/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 7/Plugins/Ecobee.indigoPlugin/Contents/Server Plugin/requests/api.py", line 53, in request
  File "/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 7/Plugins/Ecobee.indigoPlugin/Contents/Server Plugin/requests/sessions.py", line 468, in request
  File "/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 7/Plugins/Ecobee.indigoPlugin/Contents/Server Plugin/requests/sessions.py", line 576, in send
  File "/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 7/Plugins/Ecobee.indigoPlugin/Contents/Server Plugin/requests/adapters.py", line 437, in send
ConnectionError: HTTPSConnectionPool(host='api.ecobee.com', port=443): Max retries exceeded with url: /1/thermostat?json=%7B%22selection%22%3A%7B%22selectionType%22%3A%22registered%22%2C%22includeRuntime%22%3A%22true%22%2C%22includeSensors%22%3A%22true%22%2C%22includeEvents%22%3A%22true%22%2C%22includeProgram%22%3A%22true%22%2C%22includeEquipmentStatus%22%3Atrue%2C%22includeSettings%22%3Atrue%7D%7D (Caused by NewConnectionError('<requests.packages.urllib3.connection.VerifiedHTTPSConnection object at 0x106b28d10>: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno 8] nodename nor servname provided, or not known',))