All hell has broken loose.

Posted on
Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:25 am
ericwass offline

All hell has broken loose.

A few days ago I noticed that the Alexa-Hue bridge stopped working. I was getting a lot of "XXX isn't responding." I poked around a little, couldn't find the culprit, restarted, etc. Finally I updated the plugin and ended up at 3.0.23 and now I'm screwed. I don't understand the interface at all anymore. Through dumb luck it seems I got it to rescan my devices and things worked again for a minute. But then they stopped. I tried everything I could make sense of but nothing worked. Finally I gave up and deleted my emulated bridge and then downgraded to 3.0.20 and tried starting over. But it's still not working and I feel totally out of my depth. I don't understand the paradigm of the plugin anymore. This really sucks because I have four Alexas and I use them to control a whole bunch of things all over my house. I've wiped everything out and now I can't rebuild. Can somebody help? I can't find any documentation.
Thanks

Posted on
Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:38 am
autolog offline

Re: All hell has broken loose.

I'll try and help. :)

What version were you on previously? The UI interface has had no significant changes since V3 was released.

There is documentation here (as referenced from the plugin store): https://github.com/IndigoDomotics/alexa-hue-bridge/wiki

Let me know if the documentation helps.

I need more detailed info to be able to help e.g. are devices being discovered etc. :)

Posted on
Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:01 am
DaveL17 offline

Also, just checking -- are you on Indigo 6 or 7? The docs state that you should use the latest version 1 release for Indigo 6.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:30 am
radekw13 offline

Hi,

I was in the same situation few weeks ago after upgrading first Indigo, then Alexa plugin. Commands would work for few minutes, then they stopped. At first, re-discovering would help but only temporarily. The log message in Indigo was "Unable to process Alexa request on 'Alexa Hue Bridge' : Alexa key 1755328679 is not a valid hash key for 'Living room lights'".

What finally fixed it was removing all devices from Alexa. I opened an Alexa app, went to devices and removed one by one. Then I re-discovered.

I hope this helps.

Posted on
Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:52 pm
ericwass offline

Thanks for responding. I was v2.something, running Indigo 7. The nomenclature is scrambling my brain a bit. The section where I used to add devices (or virtual devices for action groups) now has "Alexa Option: --Add New Alexa Device--" on top but then a couple pull downs for Indigo Device or Actions and Indigo Device below. I figured out that if you choose a device or action (thanks for that, by the way!) and hit "Add New Alexa Device" it will go into Published Alexa Devices. But of course it's an Indigo device/action not an Alexa device and I don't know what it means to publish an Alexa Device anyway. When I was running 3.0.23 I thought maybe it had something to do with being able to add individual Echos by IP (which I tried). But adding an Echo involves a different process: creating a new Alexa Hue Bridge Indigo Device and choosing Model: Amazon Echo Device. In any case, the fact that "Published Alexa Devices" exists in 3.0.20 tells me it's not that anyway. So, in short, I don't know what it means.

Anyway, like I said, I trashed everything and tried to create two new Indigo Actions and publish them. Neither one works, nor is Alexa able to find new devices when I tell her to. Right now AWS is down and none of my Alexas are working for anything so I can't try anything else but I'm really stymied. Anything you can do to hold my hand through getting in explaining the new paradigm and getting things re-setup would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

autolog wrote:
I'll try and help. :)

What version were you on previously? The UI interface has had no significant changes since V3 was released.

There is documentation here (as referenced from the plugin store): https://github.com/IndigoDomotics/alexa-hue-bridge/wiki

Let me know if the documentation helps.

I need more detailed info to be able to help e.g. are devices being discovered etc. :)

Posted on
Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:47 pm
ericwass offline

So deleting all my devices in the Alexa app seems to have solved the problem. That having been said, I still don't quite understand the idea of "Alexa Devices" as distinct from creating Echo devices with the 3.0.23 version. Can somebody shed some light?
Thanks.

Posted on
Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:36 am
autolog offline

ericwass wrote:
So deleting all my devices in the Alexa app seems to have solved the problem. That having been said, I still don't quite understand the idea of "Alexa Devices" as distinct from creating Echo devices with the 3.0.23 version. Can somebody shed some light?
Thanks.

Devices you want to control are defined in the Emulated Hue Bridge device. You edit the settings and define "Alexa devices". These devices are the ones you want to control and you will see in the Alexa App. They can either be Indigo devices or actions.

From the 3.0.23 Release notes:
Allows definition of Amazon ECHO devices as Indigo devices in order to increase visibility of how commands are processed. Add a new device of type Alexa-Hue Bridge and model Amazon Echo Device. Specify the Amazon Echo's IP address and save. Name the Echo e.g. "Dining Room Echo" and then the plugin will use that name when any command is received from that Echo.

Amazon Echo Device isn't needed but allows you to define and name the Amazon Echo devices you will be using to communicate with Indigo. Its only purpose is to make the log messages in the Indigo Event Log more user friendly and give some visibility as to which Echo is sending a command to Indigo (this isn't necessarily the same Echo that you spoke to).

Thanks for the feedback.I will try and make sure the documentation is clearer when the release becomes official. :)

Posted on
Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:41 am
lrego offline

Fellows, need som help here. Also having recently the Alexa not working with plugin, neither discovering devices from plugin, after I did the upgrade , in fact I did decide to upgrade as it stop for a week working in previous s2.x version. So moved to 3.x update all devices as instructed for 3.x, but dd not work also, returned to 2.x still not working, so moved back to 3.x, than deleted devices in Alexa App as some said, but still not discovering them. Any other suggestion?
BTW... in the log screen I do receive this messages below eventually :
Jul 22, 2018, 1:21:44 PM
Alexa-Hue Bridge Error 'Alexa HUE Simulad1 - MAX20' Responder.run: socket error: [Errno 65] No route to host

Also even after I restart the plugin with trace as below, than ask Alexa do Discovery devices, I do not see any trace coming...seems weird.

Jul 22, 2018, 1:16:38 PM
Reloading plugin "Alexa-Hue Bridge 3.0.29"
Stopping plugin "Alexa-Hue Bridge 3.0.29" (pid 27789)
Alexa-Hue Bridge Alexa-Hue Bridge shutdown requested
Alexa-Hue Bridge HTTP server stopping...
Stopped plugin "Alexa-Hue Bridge 3.0.29"
Starting plugin "Alexa-Hue Bridge 3.0.29" (pid 28176)
Alexa-Hue Bridge Alexa-Hue Bridge initialising . . .
Alexa-Hue Bridge Plugin Host IP Address is discovered as: '192.168.10.3'
Alexa-Hue Bridge Alexa discovery request logging enabled
Alexa-Hue Bridge Warning Debugging enabled for Alexa-Hue Bridge: General, Server, Broadcaster, Responder, Method Trace
Started plugin "Alexa-Hue Bridge 3.0.29"
Alexa-Hue Bridge Alexa-Hue Bridge initialization complete
Alexa-Hue Bridge 'Alexa HUE Simulad1 - MAX20' has u16 Alexa Devices published
Alexa-Hue Bridge Starting Hue Bridge 'Alexa HUE Simulad1 - MAX20' web server thread
Alexa-Hue Bridge Starting Hue Bridge 'Alexa HUE Simulad1 - MAX20' discovery thread as 'Auto Start Discovery' requested
Alexa-Hue Bridge Alexa-Hue Bridge 'Alexa HUE Simulad1 - MAX20' started: Host: 192.168.10.3 Port: 8178
Alexa-Hue Bridge Alexa-Hue Bridge checking network access by attempting to access 'www.google.com'
Alexa-Hue Bridge Alexa-Hue Bridge network access check to www.google.com successfully completed.

Jul 22, 2018, 1:18:01 PM
Alexa-Hue Bridge Plugin Host IP Address is discovered as: '192.168.10.3'
Alexa-Hue Bridge Alexa discovery request logging enabled
Alexa-Hue Bridge Warning Debugging enabled for Alexa-Hue Bridge: General, Server, Broadcaster, Responder, Method Trace

Also after sometime the plugin go out discovery mode, even with setting for always discoverable..
Than I try to turn it on and do not work..getting the following errors:
Jul 22, 2018, 1:34:20 PM
Alexa-Hue Bridge sent "Alexa HUE Simulad1 - MAX20" Discovery on
Alexa-Hue Bridge Error Start Discovery action failed for 'Alexa HUE Simulad1 - MAX20': broadcaster thread couldn't start. Try restarting the plugin.'
Alexa-Hue Bridge Error Traceback (most recent call last):
Alexa-Hue Bridge Error File "plugin.py", line 1771, in startDiscovery
Alexa-Hue Bridge Error self.globals['alexaHueBridge'][ahbDev.id]['broadcaster'].start()
Alexa-Hue Bridge Error File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/threading.py", line 739, in start
Alexa-Hue Bridge Error raise RuntimeError("threads can only be started once")
Alexa-Hue Bridge Error RuntimeError: threads can only be started once
Cynical Weather Cynical Forecast.io Device updated

Than more errors eventually:
Jul 22, 2018, 1:35:22 PM
Received INSTEON "13 Escritorio Motion Sensor" off (button 1)
Trigger 13 Escritorio OFF Sensor Movimento G1
Trigger 13 Escritorio VAR Sensor Mov OFF TurnOff delay de MINUTOS = 10
Alexa-Hue Bridge Error StandardError detected in HttpdRequestHandler for 'self.ahbDev.name'. Line '185' has error='[Errno 32] Broken pipe'
Alexa-Hue Bridge Error StandardError detected in HttpdRequestHandler for 'Alexa HUE Simulad1 - MAX20'. Line '185' has error='[Errno 32] Broken pipe'

Could the name I gave the "HUE simulator device" be a problem? I did change ir without "-" but did not work also.
Any help is greatly appreciated
Best, Luis

Posted on
Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:02 pm
autolog offline

Difficult to see what is going wrong here - I am sure not the answer you wanted. :?

It seems to me that there might possibly be a network problem that the plugin isn't handling.
The fact that V2 stopped working suggests a wider problem than V3 not working.

The message:
Alexa-Hue Bridge Error 'Alexa HUE Simulad1 - MAX20' Responder.run: socket error: [Errno 65] No route to host
is probably the cause of the issue.

Have you done any network changes that might have caused this? A firewall?

Also, it is recommended to delete the devices via the alexa.amazon.com web interface.

I am hoping to be able to devote more time to the plugin from the middle of next week, once family commitments reduce. :)

Posted on
Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:58 pm
lrego offline

Thank you. I went to the website you suggested, and the devices were not there after deleting from App. But after doing a discover from web login, it found the devices and started working!! The weird thing the log show discovery request 8 times, and I just pressed one. Maybe normal. Thank you again for the plugin! Best, Luis Rego

Page 1 of 1