HomeKit Bridge Coming Soon

Posted on
Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:24 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: HomeKit Bridge Coming Soon

Colorado4Wheeler wrote:
It is, for sure :). It was a side note only because a few folks ended up with MY server def folders in the plugin of HBB and it was confusing and that would have been avoided if I had stored them elsewhere. The reason for this in the first place is that HomeBridge requires a config file to start and it needs a place to store it's logs and plist info, so this folder is where it does all of that. Without it HB won't start, so it has to be there and the plugin has to write that config file. However it something happens to the folder (and there may be cases where that's a legit debug measure to manually remove the serverId folder) then the plugin will dynamically rebuild it when it tries to start the server again. For each server device there is a matching folder so that each server has its own config and log and plist. So 5 server devices = 5 server folders.

Does that make sense or am I misinterpreting your comments?

Since logs are there, and since logs can be useful for diagnosing errors I'm back to my original point. Seems like you'd want to write to the common prefs location so that nothing gets lost in a restore cycle (and if the logs can be located separately it might be a good idea to put them in the Logs folder since we direct customers there for all sorts of diagnostic issues). Since you're writing anyway, why not put them in a place where they'll most likely get retained via backup?

But maybe I'm just over thinking it.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:33 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

jay (support) wrote:
it might be a good idea to put them in the Logs folder since we direct customers there for all sorts of diagnostic issues

That makes sense, I'll revisit your original recommendation and see what makes sense in that regard.

The logs are mostly about what's happening since HB started, not as much historical. I don't think I've needed to dig into historical logs to resolve an issue for anyone but it could happen, in which case having them in a safe location would be preferable in case they need to know that and coincidentally happened to have reloaded their Mac. It wouldn't take too many code changes to get to that and, in the end, I do want this plugin to be as friendly with Indigo as possible and if the devs think I should store the details in a certain place then I really should :wink:.

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:36 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

jay (support) wrote:

Code: Select all
path_to_install=indigo.server.getInstallFolderPath()
path_to_my_prefs_dir = u'{}/Preferences/Plugins/com.mycompany.myplugin/'.format(path_to_install)
if not os.path.exists(path_to_install):
    os.makedirs(path_to_install)

What you suggested is pretty much spot on what I'm doing except I'm looking to ~/.HomeKit-Bridge, so it's literally a minor change.

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:43 am
JustJack offline

I would like to be at beta tester too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Posted on
Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:51 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

jay (support) wrote:
Here's what I'd recommend doing

Done. Now referred to as the "Jay Method" :D

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:09 pm
roussell offline

I’d like to help test too, C4W. I’m in Silicon Valley this week and it will be hard to visit the mothership and not leave with a HomePod (meaning it’s gonna happen!)

Terry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:43 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

roussell wrote:
it will be hard to visit the mothership and not leave with a HomePod (meaning it’s gonna happen!)

LOL! Outstanding! :P

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:10 pm
calamo7 offline

I would love to give it a try. Sign me up!

Posted on
Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:46 am
WagnerOne offline

I'm willing to kick the tires on this too.

I have been meaning to get HBB going for a while now, but haven't done it. This would give me a good reason to dive in.

GitHub account: wagnerone

Thanks!
Mike

Posted on
Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:51 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

Wow, so many requests! I think I'm going to have to stagger the invites a bit, I don't want to get completely inundated with issues right away because I know the first few beta rounds will have plenty of them to address. Each round of Betas should be better and more stable than the last and I think that may be when I invite a few more to the fold.

UPDATE: Still progressing. It's still very much Alpha but that status is beginning to dwindle as HomeKit is getting populated and commands are getting sent back and forth. Webdeck is doing a bang up job on the NodeJS work and I'm tying up the loose ends on the plugin. Hopefully Friday is a real possibility for the first closed Beta!

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:20 am
manwithavan offline

One more 'me too'! If you need any more testers. :D

Posted on
Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:35 am
siclark offline

Count me in too for when you need more. Been meaning to setup HBB for months but never have, so can start this from scratch, and no prod setup to screw up for the wife to complain about during testing!

Posted on
Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:15 pm
manoncloud9 offline

Re: HomeKit Bridge Beta Testers

[MODERATOR NOTE: Moved thread to the main post for beta testing]

am I too late for getting added to this?

Posted on
Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:21 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

manoncloud9 wrote:
am I too late for getting added to this?

I'll add you to the 4th round group.

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:49 pm
manoncloud9 offline

Great thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk