Device Extensions CPU Load

Posted on
Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:44 pm
roquej offline

Device Extensions CPU Load

Just noticed that the CPU load on Indigo is quite high with Device Extensions.

Process CPU Plugin Disabled CPU Plugin Enable
IndigoProcess 0.5% 19.1%
IndigoPluginHost 0.7 % 14.5%

Any suggestions?

JP

Posted on
Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:12 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

Re: Device Extensions CPU Load

What version do you have? If you have something that is changing regularly then DE could be updating quite a bit.

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:24 pm
roquej offline

Version is 1.5.0

Using it to track status of several virtual devices (4) tied to relays that open doors Using the plugin to transform Off/On to Locked/Unlocked.

JP

Posted on
Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:21 am
aldera offline

Hello,

I'm seeing a very high CPU load with your plugin (v1.5.3). Indigo is running on its own server, a Macmini. I've created only 1 device with your plugin - "Convert Lux to Word value". The physical luminance device hadn't provided any updates for over a half hour so I don't think that there is a lot of updating going on for that device. I attached screen shots of Activity Monitor with your plugin enabled and disabled. All the other plugins are using 0.1 to 0.3 CPU%. Yours is averaging approximately 3.8% to 5%. Also, notice that Indigo Server CPU usage goes from 0.1% without your plugin to 4.1% with your plugin enabled.

I just discovered your plugin yesterday and really like it but I'm concerned about the CPU load. Is there something I'm maybe doing wrong? I just became an Indigo user in September.
Attachments
enabled.jpg
enabled.jpg (101.18 KiB) Viewed 4067 times
disabled.jpg
disabled.jpg (102.59 KiB) Viewed 4067 times

Posted on
Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:38 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

4.1 doesn't seem exceptionally high to me considering that the plugin is monitoring another device 24/7. That particular plugin is a little out of date, I have a newer on that I need to push out that should be a bit less resource intense. I'm not sure if I can get it out there this week but I'll try.

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:07 pm
aldera offline

Colorado4Wheeler wrote:
4.1 doesn't seem exceptionally high to me considering that the plugin is monitoring another device 24/7. That particular plugin is a little out of date, I have a newer on that I need to push out that should be a bit less resource intense. I'm not sure if I can get it out there this week but I'll try.

Thanks for the reply. Not an expert by any means on plugins so I'm not in a position to discuss resource usage. It just seems like an outlier when it's using almost 20-40 times the CPU load compared to the 15 or so other plugins I'm using. Among others, I have Cynical SecuritySpy (4 cameras), Alexa-Hue Bridge and Virtual Energy Meter (17 devices) and they never go much over 0.2 or 0.3.

It just jumped out at me when I looked at Activity Monitor. Still getting the feel for the whole Indigo ecosystem. I do appreciate all the plugin developers, like yourself, that provide these services for free. It's a great community. Thanks again. :)

Posted on
Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:34 am
Different Computers offline

I have also noticed Device Extension using lots of CPU over the past year I've been using it. At one point I had to turn it off because of that.

But I'm not really tuned in to how it has behaved since I switched from a 2008 Mac Mini to a much more modern server.

Sonoma on a Mac Mini M1 running Airfoil Pro, Bond Home, Camect, Roku Network Remote, Hue Lights, DomoPad, Adapters, Home Assistant Agent, HomeKitLinkSiri, EPS Smart Dimmer, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Grafana. UnifiAP

Posted on
Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:25 am
howartp offline

Just been looking in my Activity Monitor and noticed a plugin using 15% of the CPU...

Yep, you guessed it - it's Device Extensions.

I only have two "Conversion" extensions to convert the same On/Off to Locked/Unlocked the same as @roquej, but I only have two of them.

I think it probably needs looking at when you get time, DC; as others have said we have 20-30 plugins averaging 2% each, including reaching out and monitoring remote web endpoints, so your one plugin taking 15% to do "nothing" seems excessive.

Peter

Posted on
Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:57 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

Checking on any outstanding issue before I release a new version and I think this issue is resolved as I've done a lot of library work over the past year and it impacts this plugin. On my system Device Extensions is using .8 to 1.2% and I have 38 extension devices running in Indigo. Anyway, a new version is dropping soon that you can try if you are still needing the functionality of D/E.

Check Them Out Here

Page 1 of 1