Cynical Denon - Denon and Marantz AV Receiver control

Posted on
Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:09 am
Woetjes offline

Re: Cynical Denon - Denon and Marantz AV Receiver control

Yeah, tried everything ;)
But I don't mind as my second receiver is only for Airplay and I control that with the Airfoil plugin.
The plugin is working great for the one receiver that communicates with Indigo - thanks again for creating the plugin!

Always happy to help troubleshooting if you have time...

Posted on
Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:25 am
siclark offline

Looking at a new amp and thinking of denon so I can control via indigo rather relying on harmony plugin and IR. Anyone used the plugin on the AVRX2400? It has a Ethernet port on it and seems to mention custom install control on some sites.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:28 am
siclark offline

I will be buying in UK. The US site says below but not the UK. Is the functionality I need?

The AVR-X2400H is part of Denon's range of IN·Command series of custom integration friendly AV components, equipped with a range of features to provide enhanced control capabilities and compatibility with 3rd party and custom integration solutions.

The AVR-X2400H features IP control capability for an integration with major 3rd party control devices and Control4 SDDP (Simple Device Detection Protocol) certification for quick and easy integration with Control4 home automation equipment. For direct connection to external home automation and control equipment, it's also equipped with an RS-232C serial port.

Posted on
Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:24 pm
Perry The Cynic offline

I'd say that a Denon AVR with Ethernet and RS-232 port is highly likely to be generally compatible with Cynical Denon - many of the mentioned "third party control devices" control it through the serial interface we use. There is of course no guarantee, but while Denon doesn't care about breaking my plugin, they do care about breaking all that expensive "commercial" home automation integration that makes high-end installers specify their equipment.

Cynical Denon may not be able to cope with any new functionality they may have added recently; my newest "Denon" is a Marantz NR1607, which is about 3 years old tech by now. I'm sure people will let me know if that happens. :-) But the existing functionality is probably fine.

The ultimate test would of course be finding someone who's tried an AVR-X2400 with Indigo. I doubt that there's any UK/USA distinction in that area.

Cheers
-- perry

Posted on
Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:12 pm
siclark offline

Thanks just looked again and the UK site says yes to IP and app control and no to RS232 and web control.
So does appear the US version has the RS232 socket but UK doesn't.
I assume/hope that IP control is what I want?

Posted on
Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:19 pm
siclark offline

Spot the difference.

ImageImage

Posted on
Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:06 pm
Perry The Cynic offline

Ah... well. I guess it depends on the meaning of the word "IP Control" then.

It looks from the back pictures like they removed the "CI" (custom integration) module for the UK version. You don't need that serial port, but you need the logic that responds to serial protocol commands on an IP port. Pretty much all the modern Denon AVRs do that just fine without serial ports; RS-232 is mostly there for custom integrators who don't want to live in the 21st century. :-)

So I still say it's very likely that it'll work fine, but I also still say there's no guarantees.

Cheers
-- perry

Posted on
Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:51 am
siclark offline

Thanks. So any UK people used the 2400 or 2300 or a similar amp which works with the plugin without the RS232 port.

Posted on
Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:05 pm
Woetjes offline

I have the X2300W and it can be controlled by the plugin.. it’s not a UK model but I don’t think that’s gonna be a problem...

Posted on
Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:13 pm
siclark offline

Thanks. Does seem like from more reading that they just removed the rs232 port to the serial interface but still allow it via the IP connection.

Posted on
Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:16 pm
siclark offline

Cynical Denon - Denon and Marantz AV Receiver control

From denon's site Image

Looks like I should be good.

Posted on
Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:39 am
siclark offline

Well I took the plunge, and all works! Amazing how quickly it was up and running under control from Indigo. Thanks for the great work on this plugin, and just love how easy Indigo is to use (I still need to forget the painful memories of using Vera!)

Posted on
Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:40 pm
jon offline

I'm experimenting with this plugin on my RCD-N7 minisystem. It *kind of* works. I got the input names figured out (huzzah!) and mute/unmute works as advertised. I've run into a few issues that I'm not sure how to go about debugging -- enabling debug logging in the plugin doesn't yield any helpful logs. Do I need to specify module names?

There's a display weirdness that the device state never transitions from "powerup" to "on", but seems to otherwise be working fine.

My bigger issue so far is that whatever value I set for volume results in pegging the stereo to max. I found a protocol documentation and the MV command only takes two digits (00-60). I suspect the full-size receivers have a more complex volume control that my little guy can't parse?

Perry, if you have any interest in adding minisystem support to your plugin I'd love to work with you on implementation and debug. If you think it's outside the scope then I'll just hack up my copy and make it work.

Posted on
Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:08 pm
Turribeach offline

Like siclark I also bought a Denon AVR-X2400H in the UK. It's also missing the RS-232 interface and IR controls but who needs that with the wonderful plugin from perry! (many thanks perry)

Here is a quick cheat sheet to get this plugin working:

1) Setup a fixed IP in your DHCP server so the Denon AVR doesn't change IPs
2) Install plugin and use the IP address when adding the new device
3) You most likely will need to Edit the device and set the Source Map to match your list of AVR sources as each ARV is different. To get the AVR source codes you can change them in your AVR and watch the Custom States on your Denon device in Indigo (you may need to scroll down to see them all).
4) Then create Action Groups for what you want to do with your AVR. For Volume up/down use this "=current+step" and "=current-step" as the Volume value, the plugin will do the rest.
5) To turn on debugging, enable debug on the plugin and enter denon.avr into the Debug Modules field.

That should do!

Incidentally I got two questions I couldn't figure out myself. How do I turn on and off the Zone 2 on this AVR? Any scripting samples out there showing how to turn on the AVR and then wait until state=on so I can send the rest of the commands I want to run?

Thanks!

Posted on
Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:38 am
mat offline

Thank Perry,

I can confirm the plugin is working with the AVR-X6400H.

UK version does have the serial connector RS232 - but im using IP.

Late 2018 mini 10.14