Support for MacOS High Sierra (64-bit)

Posted on
Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:32 am
PatriciaW offline

Re: Support for MacOS High Sierra (64-bit)

Of course I didn't read the warnings or if I did I forgot them. Fortunately I have another computer which I did not upgrade so I'll try that. Do you know if Indigo 7 is going to be upgraded to support USB PowerLinc or is this an operating system problem? or is there another controller that will work?

Posted on
Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:06 am
JGTracy offline

All the problems I had with my USB PowerLink when I upgraded to OSX 10.13.1 suddenly went away about 2 weeks ago and I don't know why. I had been doing a lot of fiddling (restart app, reboot OS, try an interface that I don't have) and things just starting working. With no problems for about 10 days, I didn't give a second thought to upgrading to OSX 10.13.2. Guess what? The connection problem with the PowerLink 1412U came back.

I got things working with only a little bit of fiddling this time.
I selected some other PowerLink choices, which, of course, didn't work because I don't have any of them.
I restarted the OS.
Still didn't work, but noticed that I hadn't selected the right PowerLink. When I did, Everything worked again. :)
I don't know if the OS restart was necessary, but it happened to be in the sequence.

I Do have a lot of problems with the WeatherSnoop plugin not being able to get data. This problem went away before when the PowerLink started working, but not this time. Indigo reports a problem about one in 4 times -- sometimes sequentially.
WeatherSnoop is not reporting problems with getting info through its USB connection to the weather station console.

Posted on
Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:15 am
roussell offline

PatriciaW wrote:
Of course I didn't read the warnings or if I did I forgot them. Fortunately I have another computer which I did not upgrade so I'll try that. Do you know if Indigo 7 is going to be upgraded to support USB PowerLinc or is this an operating system problem? or is there another controller that will work?

It's an OS problem. Indigo definitely isn't the only program affected. Apple has a recent history of screwing up USB with almost every new major release. I've always been an Apple fanboy but I'll be glad when (if?) the day comes that Indigo runs on another platform other than Apple's.

Terry

Posted on
Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:30 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Hi Patricia,

Read over this forum thread post for some suggestions of things to try that might fix the problem.

Posted on
Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:54 am
PatriciaW offline

I installed Indigo 7 on another computer running El Capitan.

However I can't enable interfaces and get this error message: Error (client) Can't enable INSTEON/X10 Power Line Interface - selected serial port already in use.

I can't find ANY documentation about the serial port and how to fix this. What is the serial port? The only ports that I can know of are the HTTP port and the Indigo Server port. I've used the default for both.

Posted on
Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:19 pm
kw123 offline

Support for MacOS High Sierra (64-bit)

It is the USB port

you need to select the right one in the indigo menu / interface / insteon ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:40 pm
PatriciaW offline

Why does the error message refer to serial port? How can I find out which one I am using since there is nowhere (that I can find) where a USB port number is specified and where I can find the other one with the same number? I've looked in the system information and the port numbers are not documented there (that I can find)

Posted on
Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:04 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Serial port isn't related to networking/TCP port. The serial ports Indigo is referring to are the ones you have configured for your X10 or INSTEON power line (or RF) interfaces. Do the following:

1) Choose Indigo 7->Preferences... menu item.
2) Double-click on the INSTEON/X10 Power Line Interface item in the table, see Serial Port popup and note its name.
3) Do you also have X10 RF Interface enabled in the table? If so, do you really have a separate X10 RF interface? You only do if you have the W800 or MR26. If you don't have either of those, then uncheck the X10 RF Interface checkbox in the table.
4) If you really do have a dedicated X10 RF Interface, then also double-click that item. Make sure that its serial port does not match the one shown in the main INSTEON/X10 Power Line Interface (#2 above).

Also, which PowerLinc model do you have?

Posted on
Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:25 pm
kw123 offline

USB = universal SERIAL bus
AND YES I ALWAYS FOUND IT TRIAL AND ERROR TO FIGURE OUT WHICH ONE IS WHICH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:27 pm
PatriciaW offline

Thanks for the suggestions but no luck so far.

I have a PowerLinc 2414Uand the Serial port is - no port selected - and there are no other values in the dropdown.

Posted on
Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:50 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

In the popup above the serial port, do you have PowerLinc Controller 2414U selected or the one below that, PowerLinc Modem 2412U / 2412S / 2413U... ? If you have the 2414U model, then make sure you have it selected in the UI. When that is selected the Serial Port popup will disable because the 2414U does not have a chip in it that acts as a serial/USB bridge (is uses a different mechanism by which to communicate over USB and doesn't need a serial port to be selected at all).

Posted on
Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:50 pm
PatriciaW offline

Another stupid error ... I hadn't noticed that I hadn't selected 2414U - that helped but now I am getting a "usb connection failed" error.

I checked the console and see this error "unable to modify user startup items preference". In another thread I saw the suggestion that it was a permission error. I installed this using an admin account so that shouldn't be an issue.

Any other suggestions?

Posted on
Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:01 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

The "unable to modify user startup items preference" is really just a warning and unrelated to PowerLinc communication. It should just be ignored.

Try different USB ports (including USB hubs), try replacing the USB cable, and try factory resetting the 2414U.

Posted on
Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:28 pm
flitedocnm offline

Question: I'm running Indigo server without problems on a Mac mini with Sierra OS 10.12.6. I connect from my MacBook Pro (only the Indigo client installed) and mobile devices. If I leave the Mac mini alone so it's still running 10.12.6, but upgrade the MacBook Pro to High Sierra 10.13.2, I'm guessing that wouldn't pose a risk to connecting to Indigo from the Indigo client on the MacBook, since the USB connection from the PowerLinc goes to the Mac mini running Sierra, not to the MacBook. Am I correct?

Also wondering if we know yet whether the recently released v.10.13.2 has fixed the USB issues and might be safe to use with Indigo server, too.

Thanks,
Steve

- - -

Follow-up: Thanks for the replies confirming no issues with Indigo Client on a High-Sierra install. Since writing the query above, I've upgraded my MacBookPro to High Sierra 10.13.2 and the Indigo Client connecting to my Mac mini Indigo Server running on Sierra 10.12.6 is working perfectly. 8)
Last edited by flitedocnm on Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:49 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

We are still hearing of problems with 10.13.2, unfortunately.

Running just the Indigo Client on High Sierra should be just fine.