cool computer closet

Posted on
Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:36 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Re: cool computer closet

I'm going to get blank rack inserts or hinged doors for all the open spaces on the front of the rack. I'm getting all new security cameras installed next week, with 4 new drops going to the patch panel, so I'm waiting until that's done.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:38 pm
Different Computers offline

Cmon Roussel, post a pic of your garage. :D

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:07 pm
roussell offline

Different Computers wrote:

It’s a mess at the moment, I tore it all apart last week and started boxing stuff up for a hopeful move after Christmas. I should have taken some photos beforehand but it happened on the heals of a sewage pump malfunction so my mind was elsewhere.... my Indigo server is sitting in the master bedroom on a small table by the bed now. My geek cred is pretty low these days!

Terry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:26 pm
DaveL17 offline

I am really digging the pictures. I’m out of town on business right now, but promise to share a picture or two of my mediocre setup when I get home.

Please keep them coming!

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:39 am
durosity offline

Sewage pump failure? That is quite literally a shi**y situation!

Computer says no.

Posted on
Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:43 am
durosity offline

Fairly sure I’ve posted mine before. It was originally a 42u rack that met an angle grinder. I keep meaning to tidy it up.. I’m sure it’ll happen.. probably when I’m getting ready to sell the place :)

Computer says no.

Posted on
Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:49 am
roussell offline

durosity wrote:
Sewage pump failure? That is quite literally a shi**y situation!

You have no idea how correct you are... <insert emoji of Terry projectile vomiting>

Terry

Posted on
Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:23 am
durosity offline

I remember back in the 90s my hometown of Milngavie had a massive sewage failure.. there was a street that dipped down that was literally submerged in sewage. You could see the chimneys sticking up out of the mire... fortunately it was quite cold weather at the time.

Computer says no.

Posted on
Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:55 am
roussell offline

roussell wrote:
Different Computers wrote:

It’s a mess at the moment, I tore it all apart last week and started boxing stuff up for a hopeful move after Christmas. I should have taken some photos beforehand but it happened on the heals of a sewage pump malfunction so my mind was elsewhere.... my Indigo server is sitting in the master bedroom on a small table by the bed now. My geek cred is pretty low these days!

Terry

Ok here is a shot of the only cabinet (1 of 3) still operational and mostly together.

rack1.jpg
rack1.jpg (146.59 KiB) Viewed 2806 times

From the top:
3 of the 6 total Fibre Channel drive arrays, hosting a mix of 2 and 4 TB drives and managed by a FreeNAS VM.

The blank 4u space below held 4 mac minis, two 2.0 GHz circa 2008 mini and 2 2012 minis. The 2008s weren't used anymore and the 2012s were Indigo and other assorted home functions. They all normally live in 2, 2U Sonnet rack mount enclosures designed for the minis.

Below the blank space is the smaller DL580 (4 10-core processors currently 512Gb RAM) which hosts several dozen ESX- based VMs, including the FreeNAS VN from the SAN array (I'll move that back to Oracle's SAN controller when I move, most likely, or to a separate physical FreeNAS controller), along with several MacOS, Windows, and Linux VMs that get used for all sorts of things (Sighthound video server, Homeseer, Home Assistant, OpenHAB, web, etc.)

The larger DL980 below the 580 is 1 of 2 and was part of a Redhat Virtualization cluster use mostly for testing and playing.

At the bottom of the cabinet are 3 APC 2200VA UPS, fed by 3 separate 220 Volt circuits

Cabinet 2 of 3, not shown and now disassembled, had 3 more drive array enclosures, 3 more 2200 VA UPSes, the other DL980, and OLD Yellow Google server, the Oracle SAN controller, Firewall (PFsense) and network switches (Cisco 3750s)

Cabinet 3 of 3 also not shown and now disassembled was the AV cabinet and held a 2 Sonos Connect and 2 Sonos Connect Amps, 3 On (wish I would have bought morekyo TX-NR-535 AVR, a older Pioneer VSX-1021 that I love and can't seem to part with (and wish I would have bought more Pioneer AVRs instead of the Onkyos), a couple of cheapo Insignia Stereo AVRs used as zone amps for the Sonos Connects, a couple of 1200 watt Sub amps for the media room, an old HTPC, the DirecTV DVRs, and a few more UPSes.

With most of it now disassembled, I feel like I'm living in the stone age, probably need to downsize A LOT in the new place!

Terry

Posted on
Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:57 am
roussell offline

durosity wrote:
I remember back in the 90s my hometown of Milngavie had a massive sewage failure.. there was a street that dipped down that was literally submerged in sewage. You could see the chimneys sticking up out of the mire... fortunately it was quite cold weather at the time.

Holy Sh!t!! Ok mine wasn't THAT bad, but even an inch of sewage where it isn't supposed to be is a bad thing. Now it all smells like glorious bleach though, about 28 gallons to be precise... :shock:

Terry

Posted on
Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:37 am
DaveL17 offline

The rack is built out of 2x4s, 1/2" plywood and four 18U rack rails from Amazon. Still moving into this new rack so things are a bit of a shambles -- especially the wires.

IMG_3390 copy.JPG
IMG_3390 copy.JPG (146.54 KiB) Viewed 2716 times

Top to bottom:
Arris cable modem, Sonos Connect, VOIP phone
Tripp Lite UPS
2x Middle Atlantic PDUs (one mains, one mains + battery backup)
HP 24 port switch
Ubiquiti Edge Router POE5, MyQ bridge
2x Silicon Dust HD HomeRun tuners and an EDS 1-Wire server
2x Drobos (5N and 2) Airport Extreme (serves Drobo2 via USB)
Sonos ZP100 (serves basement zone)
Atlona Pro Video Scaler (not currently using this)

IMG_3395.JPG
IMG_3395.JPG (161.91 KiB) Viewed 2716 times

L to R:
Terrestrial antenna
Cable TV
Data subnet
TiVo subnet with Ubiquiti 8 port switch
1-Wire subnet

Posted on
Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:52 am
Korey offline

Nice and clean Dave!

--
Korey

Posted on
Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:57 am
DaveL17 offline

Thanks Korey. Definitely getting there. Need to work on the wiring some more (which is slated for when the snow starts to fly).