Post data to pwsweather.com - for Rachio

Posted on
Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:12 pm
rbdubz3 offline

Post data to pwsweather.com - for Rachio

I utilize a Rachio for Irrigation control. At present Rachio has limited support for Personal Weather Stations, as all of these have to be available via pwsweather.com . Rachio has some user-forums where folks have downloaded data from Wunderground and posted it to pwsweather.com .. See https://support.rachio.com/hc/en-us/art ... tation-FAQ .

I am currently looking into cobbling this together on my own.. I've been using Wunderground data to get the outside temperature near my house.. So I am planning to experiment with posting to pwsweather.com. However, I came across the Indigo Wunderground plugin and thought this may be a useful feature to incorporate.. i.e. publishing to other PWS data sites??

I automate because I am lazy :D - My Plugins: https://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=309

Posted on
Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:42 am
DaveL17 offline

Re: Post data to pwsweather.com - for Rachio

Based on my reading of it, redistributing data to another site violates the WUnderground terms of service. There may be an exception for public domain data (WU may not be able to restrict the use of public domain data it redistributes itself) but I don't know a way of categorically identifying that. I'm not willing to include anything in the plugin that violates the TOS.

You might consider a public domain source like weather.gov here in the US. I believe that data can be used without restrictions.

Good luck!

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:06 pm
rbdubz3 offline

Got it . Thanks Dave.

Maybe I should raise this to the Rachio folks as it is posted on their support website?

I automate because I am lazy :D - My Plugins: https://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=309

Posted on
Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:08 pm
DaveL17 offline

rbdubz3 wrote:
Maybe I should raise this to the Rachio folks as it is posted on their support website?

You might encourage them to check. I might be me misreading the TOS, but here are the clauses that I'm talking about (emphasis mine)...

• The API is a service that provides access to weather related data (“API Data”) from the non-public website of WUL pursuant to the terms and conditions of use set forth below (the "Terms").
  • You will not resell, sublicense, redistribute or provide access to the API to any third party, including, without limitation, by incorporating API access into chipsets of any kind.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:12 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

The last time I checked with Weather Underground (several years ago), using their data in any "official" capacity was a huge PITA. You had to put their logo all over the place, pay them $, etc. My guess is that's why Rachio isn't using them as a data source (WeatherBug was much more reasonable, just never got around to implementing a plugin before they too changed their terms).

I wouldn't be surprised if there were some severe restrictions on how they allow their data to be used.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Page 1 of 1