Adding other homebridge plugins

Posted on
Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:06 am
Londonmark offline

Adding other homebridge plugins

Have just updated HBB to 1.0.1 and delighted to say it was absolutely flawless. Thank you!

I'm now trying to figure out how I can add other HB plugins (particular homebridge-zp which talks to Sonos). Some questions:
1. Is the version of the basic homebridge platform that is bundled with HBB using the latest version of node.js etc?
2. If I want to install another homebridge plugin, do I need to run another instance of homebridge somewhere else (so in ~/.homebridge?
3. If I understand correctly, I at the very least need to put an appropriate config.json in that directory, but that should only contain the configuration for the additional plug-in.
4. Do I also need to do anything to get HBB to look at that config.json (especially if I have changed it) or does it check every time it loads in order to update the custom homebridge server?

Sorry if some of these are very basic questions. I'm a bit confused as to how precisely to proceed.

Posted on
Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:20 am
Different Computers offline

Re: Adding other homebridge plugins

Along the same lines, I'd love some docs on how to configure homeBridge-Itunes as implemented in HBB. Or is it already documented somewhere that I can't find?

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:26 am
rehafer offline

I’m also planning to another instance of Homebridge to add WUnderground data ( so I can ask Siri how much rainfall today). My understanding is that a separate instance is best for that and use HBB for Indigo and related. The second instance would have to have at least a different id number and port

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:55 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

Londonmark wrote:
Have just updated HBB to 1.0.1 and delighted to say it was absolutely flawless. Thank you!

You're welcome! I'm so glad it's working for you!!

Londonmark wrote:
Is the version of the basic homebridge platform that is bundled with HBB using the latest version of node.js etc?

Yes, it's the latest build of the Homebridge-Indigo package, which is the latest build of NodeJS.

Londonmark wrote:
If I want to install another homebridge plugin, do I need to run another instance of homebridge somewhere else (so in ~/.homebridge?

Right now if you want to add a package other than what's there - which is just HB for Indigo and the HB-iTunes then yes. The pre-packaged bundle doesn't implement a lot of outside stuff just yet, I'm working on a case-by-case basis to beef that up. The HB-iTunes was the test into that realm, so far it's working well for me but there's a fine line of not enough and way too much to the point of overloading the plugin.

Londonmark wrote:
If I understand correctly, I at the very least need to put an appropriate config.json in that directory, but that should only contain the configuration for the additional plug-in.

It's more detailed than just that. HBB and HB-Indigo are very different in how they are installed. Think of HBB as Homebridge Light at the moment, you can only do what I've coded in, whereas the full HB is more robust and allows for any Homebridge plugins you want. That being said, if you want to use the full version of HB-Indigo then HBB will manage your Config files for that. That's to say you can use HBB without using the HB that's built into it. Make sense?

Different Computers wrote:
Along the same lines, I'd love some docs on how to configure homeBridge-Itunes as implemented in HBB. Or is it already documented somewhere that I can't find?

It's super basic right now, just basic play/stop/pause/skip/ff/rw available. It's an accessory in HomeKit so you just add it like you did the HB server.

rehafer wrote:
I’m also planning to another instance of Homebridge to add WUnderground data ( so I can ask Siri how much rainfall today). My understanding is that a separate instance is best for that and use HBB for Indigo and related. The second instance would have to have at least a different id number and port

Again, check above for the full version of Homebridge to do that. HBB can manage the config but that's not built in. That one is actually pretty easy and maybe this week I'll add it as part of HBB since the iTunes is working pretty well so far.

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:05 pm

It's super basic right now, just basic play/stop/pause/skip/ff/rw available. It's an accessory in HomeKit so you just add it like you did the HB server.

Let me make sure I understand: I need to create a new HomeBridge Buddy Device configured like the attached?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-09-25 at 2.03.24 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-09-25 at 2.03.24 PM.png (260.83 KiB) Viewed 5173 times

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:12 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

No, you can simply enable the iTunes plugin on your existing server and then in HomeKit you will see the iTunes accessory as something you can add to your setup.

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:32 pm

Ah, great, thanks! I did wonder about that way of doing it.

Posted on
Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:22 pm

Either I'm missing some step, or the iTunes-HB isn't working for me. Is there any need to reload the plugin or anything like that? I've looked everywhere in the iOS Home app, and I don't see any other bridge besides the HBB one.

When I hit the + in the Home app, there's nothing new, and looking through all the rooms, also no iTunes bridge.

As usual, right after posting I find something: When I open up El Gato Eve, the iTunes is there. How do I get it into the Home app?

Or maybe it is there. Will the different things I can do with the plugin show up as devices like "Playing State"?

Posted on
Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:13 pm
Londonmark offline

C4W - many thanks for your quick response. Feels to me as if running a separate instance of homebridge would be more trouble than I am currently willing to tolerate (and I'm not sure I fully understand how I would use HBB just for the config.json and not everything else). Do you have a view of whether you will enable other homebridge plugins (recognising the fine line balancing act) and whether homebridge-zp would be on your list?

Posted on
Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:15 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

Different Computers wrote:
As usual, right after posting I find something: When I open up El Gato Eve, the iTunes is there. How do I get it into the Home app?

It happens like that sometimes. I use "Home" myself - both the 3rd party version called "Home" and the built in version called "Home" by Apple. The 3rd party I found better for me than Eve, but to each their own. I do all my adds in 3rd parties because it always seems like Apple's is slow to pick up new stuff.

Londonmark wrote:
Do you have a view of whether you will enable other homebridge plugins (recognising the fine line balancing act) and whether homebridge-zp would be on your list?

Given the number of people that use Sonos, yes I think I'm going to try to do that one straight away - however I cannot test if it really works since I don't have a Sonos so it'll be a bit touch and go at first. Other plugins, like the Camera plugin, is unlikely because it requires a lot of other libraries that are not practical or simply impossible to try to wrap into the system.

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:59 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

rehafer wrote:
I’m also planning to another instance of Homebridge to add WUnderground data

I'm looking at possibly incorporating this but I don't see that it works very well. Right now I installed it and it tells me that it's 32 outside, which it is not.

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:11 pm
rehafer offline

I imagine that, alternatively, if there where Weather wrappers for HBB I could achieve the same goal. (Hint, hint)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:46 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

LMAO!

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:13 pm

Seems to me that HBB exposes various functions of iTunes as devices. I suddenly see all my AirPlay devices as switches I can turn on and off, for example. But there's no volume control--too bad defining them as dimmers doesn't make that work!

While "iTunes" shows up in Elgato's Eve app, and there I have all sorts of media control, there's nothing in Apple's Home app, which I'm in the habit of using all the time. I only opened up Eve because I was trying to figure out what's wrong.

My question is: are all these bits of info to be expected? HB-iTunes seems more than difficult to work with if there's no way to target it via Siri. Hate to look at gift horse in the mouth, because the ability to turn various AirPlay devices off or on via Siri is awesome, but I just wonder if the iTunes bridge is actually functioning as expected.

Thanks!

Posted on
Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:43 am
macguyincali offline

Up and running! Great Plug In. have some questions

Hey there all.. just want to thank Colorado4Wheeler for putting together this amazing app. Takes Indigo to another level. You sir (or ma'am), are a genius!

Questions:

a) when I try to add Include an Action, for some reason it removes all my devices from home kit EXCEPT the action I included. Am I doing something wrong? I have included the devices under the include function.

b) in a related note, is there a way to save the HomeKit configuration so that when devices are removed, they reappear in the same place and with the same names I renamed them in HomeKit? I had taken a lot of trouble to place the devices in the many rooms of my house only to have all my work undone as I was experimenting with the Actions option.

That's it for now, but really enjoying being able to talk to my house without a major headache.

THANKS!

macguyincali