advanced device search

Posted on
Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:19 pm
Gangotti offline

advanced device search

I know this is probably not easy or doable, but as my system grows and gets more complex, i am finding it harder to find where things are being triggered from. is there a way to have a search feature that searched all the actions in the triggers, schedules, and, action groups, ad filtered them by device? for example, if you wanted to know what actions turn on the outside light, you would enter the outside light in the search field and it would give you the triggers, schedules and action groups that are associated with it. Thoughts?

Posted on
Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:00 pm
howartp offline

Re: advanced device search

You can find most dependencies of a device by pretending to delete it.

It will pop up a list saying "if you delete this, then the following items will break...." or something to that effect.

It doesn't work if you have a script that mentions the device by name or ID.

Posted on
Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:34 pm
Different Computers offline

All you need to do is right click on the device and choose Show Dependencies.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-09-10 at 4.33.57 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-09-10 at 4.33.57 PM.png (111.56 KiB) Viewed 1634 times

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:10 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Important note: this may not include dependencies from plugin provided objects. So if you're using a plugin that maintains it's own internal list of device dependencies, they wouldn't show up. It's somewhat tricky because it depends on how the plugin collects the configuration information for an action.

Also, if a plugin (or virtual devices interface) device depends on another device, those dependencies are not shown because the Indigo Server doesn't know about them (those are maintained by the plugin).

The Show Dependencies functionality is a good start but may not be the complete picture.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:47 pm
hamw offline

I have used the right click: show dependencies method forever. What am I missing? How would we ever know if it is safe to delete something? Having a control page action group trigger etc. go away would be a big problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:18 am
dduff617 offline

hamw,

If you right click on a device, you will see all the control pages that reference that device, also all triggers, all schedules, all action groups.

There are other ways that you might break something or lose some functionality by deleting a device that Indigo currently can't or doesn't track. For example, if DeviceA is one of multiple devices in a DeviceGroup object called DeviceB, then when you delete DeviceA, you will change the behavior of DeviceB and possibly break other triggers you have set up that are based on DeviceB but you won't get a warning about this. In this case the "DeviceGroup" object is part of VirtualDevices, which although it is built-in to Indigo, actually behaves like a plugin. The same would be true any other DeviceC which is an instance of any device type from an Indigo plugin that references DeviceA.

Similarly, if DeviceA is referenced in some piece of python script or AppleScript attached to a trigger or action or control page item, then you also won't get warned about this and your scripts will break or stop working.

Page 1 of 1