First AppleScript deprecation warning

Posted on
Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:54 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

First AppleScript deprecation warning

So here's your first official AppleScript deprecation warning: Indigo will no longer support AppleScript beyond the upcoming Indigo 7.2 feature release, which includes dot releases (7.2.1, 7.2.2, etc.). Indigo 7.3 will not support AppleScript.

We have created a consolidated wiki page that discusses various strategies for integrating AppleScript with Indigo and we highly recommend that you read through those options. That wiki page is in the developer section which means that anyone with write access to that section of the wiki can add things as well as new integration methods come up.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:07 pm
Different Computers offline

Re: First AppleScript deprecation warning

:(

I've got a LOT of them for managing AirPlay volume and iTunes.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:15 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Those should be easy enough to convert.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:20 pm
autolog offline

Will condition scripts now be supporting Python in 7.1?

Posted on
Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:40 pm
durosity offline

When you say beyond 7.1 does that mean 7.1 will support it, but say 7.2 won’t?

(On a side note it’s of interest the first version of macOS with AppleScript support was 7.1)

Computer says no.

Posted on
Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:22 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

autolog wrote:
Will condition scripts now be supporting Python in 7.1?

Not in 7.1, but they will in 7.2.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:25 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

durosity wrote:
When you say beyond 7.1 does that mean 7.1 will support it, but say 7.2 won’t?

Correct - as the blog post states:

The blog post wrote:
Indigo 7.1 will be the last Indigo feature release that will allow direct AppleScript communication with the Indigo server.

durosity wrote:
(On a side note it’s of interest the first version of macOS with AppleScript support was 7.1)

Ha! I didn't remember that. So it's quite appropriate then.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:36 pm
GlennNZ offline

Hi Jay

Thanks for the information. I remain slightly confused as to the level of remaining applescript 'support' or at least what will be possible from within Indigo.

Currently I use a long applescript within the Messages.app to have a two-way conversation - would you like to turn off, etc, images from cameras following some triggers etc
Given issues with the Applescript 600 error I moved all the communication to and from Indigo to Curl via RestAPI a while ago.
eg.
Code: Select all
    set commandString to "curl -X PUT -d value=" & quoted form of varvalue & " http://username:password@127.0.0.1:8176/variables/" & var & "; exit"

Thus to me this messages based applescript will still appear to function?

viewtopic.php?f=107&t=19014&p=144762&hilit=applescript#p144762
Here you comment on a send images indigo applescript to messages.app - that you wouldn't change? so this will be still possible?
Will indigo still be able to run applescripts? internal or external?

Can you clarify?
1. Indigo will not allow Applescript communication to from Indigo on version 7.2 above .(but other applescripts running on the Mac can still function using Curl as my example?)
If so I would mention this as an option as likely easier than converting to python at least in short-term.

2. From within Indigo can we still run applescript scripts (provided there isn't any talking to indigo?) Or will this be external or not available at all?

Thanks!

Glenn

Posted on
Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:51 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

GlennNZ wrote:
1. Indigo will not allow Applescript communication to from Indigo on version 7.2 above .(but other applescripts running on the Mac can still function using Curl as my example?)
If so I would mention this as an option as likely easier than converting to python at least in short-term.

AppleScripts that target the Indigo Server process (tell "IndigoServer") will no longer work in Indigo 7.2 and beyond. AppleScripts that use the RESTful API (in whatever way possible) to communicate with Indigo will continue to work as long as they're not embedded (see below). The RESTful API is completely separate from AppleScript and will continue to work.

GlennNZ wrote:
2. From within Indigo can we still run applescript scripts (provided there isn't any talking to indigo?) Or will this be external or not available at all?

Embedded AppleScripts will no longer be available. We will retain the ability to to execute AppleScript files. Whether that's through the existing Execute Script action, via the Run Shell Script action (we'll have to change the name slightly), or a new Run AppleScript action we don't yet know. Of course, those scripts can't target the server since the server won't talk AppleScript any more, but we'll run them via macOS's built in /usr/bin/osascript command (this is currently how the server executes AppleScript files).

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:23 pm
Umtauscher offline

Hi Jay,
I am not happy with that announcement at all. It seems to be some sort of sickbess with apple developers to change existing interfaces when they design a new version of their software.

Why would you remove existing and a perfectly working scripting language.?

Frankly I am not happy with having to script at all. It is simply a work arround for functions that you are not implementing for whatever reason.
But to remove something and break our existing and painfully tested setups is really not acceptable.

So please reconsider that action.

If I would have to reinvent the wheel again just because anyone likes python better I would certainly stick to 7.1 (if it will ever be released) and forget my subscription.
Cheers
Wilhelm

Posted on
Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:06 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

That's just it though – in the future it will no longer be a perfectly working scripting language.

Please read the following blog post, and this forum post, this one, and this one.

We do realize we will lose some customers, which of course we are not happy at all about, but that should give you an idea of the amount of work involved in continuing to support AppleScript. If it was easy, or at least not very difficult, then of course we would do it. I don't have anything additional to add other than that.

Posted on
Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:59 pm
Brady offline

1. I am beyond excited to use python condition scripts, yay.

2. I can't help but think this is a step in decreasing dependence on the Mac for Indigo Server... I suspect either a linux/pi version of the server component could be coming in the future? With the mac client for easy management of the server? I imagine this would grow Indigo's potential market exponentially. Many people have macs for configuring the server but perhaps don't have a mac they want to dedicate as a server.

Not going to lie... if my guesswork for the future on #2 is remotely correct... I'd be very excited. I have a beefy linux box acting as a home server and a 2007 MBP running indigo shoved in the corner. Would love to get rid of that laptop.

I'm sure this will cause some noise when 7.2 drops, thanks for the warning, but I completely understand why it is necessary. Apple doesn't believe in Applescript's future (poor, Sal), why should the Indigo team?

Posted on
Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:57 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

No comment. 8)

Posted on
Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:15 am
roussell offline

As long as it's general linux and not Pi-specific. There are several SBCs that are more resilient than the RPi, and I'd choose one of those, or a VM, or linux on the current Mac Mini, or an Intel Nuc, or... before trusting the whole automation load to an RPi. I think they're fine for ancillary tasks, and currently use several for that, I wouldn't want to move from one locked-in platform to another.

Terry

Posted on
Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:53 am
Umtauscher offline

Oh yeah, let's put it into a virtual machine. That would most certainly make things easier...

To make myself clear, I really am not a fan of Apples policies and how they treat their customers. But I am pretty sure Indigo would go from a niche product for nerds to a mini nice products for even fewer nerds.

Sorry, I couln't help myself. No offense!