Tado Thermostat Device Plugin

Posted on
Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:41 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

Re: Tado Thermostat Device Plugin

Multi zone on the Tado is pretty tricky with their API, I tried to do that before and it wasn't straightforward. I would have to revisit the API to see if anything has changed.

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:27 pm
Londonmark offline

I think the api has changed a lot. I messed around with it a bit but I’m a hopeless coder so did not get very far.

Posted on
Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:24 am
durosity offline

I was looking at the Tado thermostat and TRVs.. anyone tried them with this plugin?

Computer says no.

Posted on
Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:32 am
Londonmark offline

So Tado is great. Latest version works with HomeKit too. I haven’t tried the TRVs but have two different zones so two thermostats. However:
- it’s quite expensive compared to other options (although very reliable)
- this plugin is really basic and just grabs the status of the thermostat. Also as noted above it doesn’t deal with more than one zone.

Posted on
Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:42 am
durosity offline

Yeah see I want something that is native to HomeKit but also works in indigo. Ideally I want 2 thermostat controllers but with trvs on 13 radiators, much like how I have my Stella-z system setup. Of course the cost is quite high so wouldn’t be able to do it yet but I’d love to see how well they actually work as I’ve seen strangely little about tados trv setups in real life usage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Computer says no.

Posted on
Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:53 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

I wrote the Tado plugin totally blind just using Londonmark's API credentials so I don't have a way to test anything per se, I can revisit the plugin but doing multiple zones before was pretty much undoable under the current API.

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:31 am
durosity offline

Well I might ask the wife about buying one thermostat and two trvs to star things off.. hopefully won’t bite my head off!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Computer says no.

Posted on
Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:20 pm
agame offline

Also to throw in, the Tado Alexa skill works perfectly (and supports zones without any complexity).
It also has good IFTTT support, so I guess this could provide a backdoor integration with Indigo...though only for control/status reporting, not for real-time thermostat readings etc..

(I wonder if anyone from Tado GMBH who reads forums such as this would be interested in supporting integration... :) ).

Posted on
Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:53 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

I will happily take another crack at the Tado plugin if someone wants to be the test monkey and give me their credentials. I promise not to set your house to 500 degrees at 2am :shock:

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:55 pm
Londonmark offline

Have PMd you.

Posted on
Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:06 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

And I've warned you that a 1,500 degree temperature rise in your home one night is not me! :roll:

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:54 am
agame offline

If you need another set of credentials, happy to provide.

Posted on
Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:28 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

I"ll let you know. It's not something I'm going to be working on in the next few days but I'll see what I can squeeze into the schedule.

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:20 pm
agame offline

just to draw together two threads...a great feature to expose from tado aside from the thermostat settings would be the presence detection capability . I gather this is available in the API.

I find TADO's implementation is pretty much perfect - and members of the household are incented to ensure the app is still operational - if its killed they will feel cold (or hot).

Posted on
Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:23 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

That's on the roadmap, just dealing with other stuff at the moment.

Check Them Out Here