Autolog LIFX Controller Discussion

Posted on
Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:29 am
Nidocamen offline

Re: Autolog LIFX Controller Discussion

autolog wrote:
Hi Joe,
I haven't really got time to delve into the code of the previous version. :(

There were a number of problems with the previous code; especially after LIFX changed the way their iOS App worked (allowing the user to change saturation). That is why in my LIFX 4.x versions I changed to using the LIFXLAN library. I have just tested your settings with the new version of the plugin and it appears to work OK.

I assume you haven't upgraded to Indigo 7? If you have, then I recommend that you upgrade to version 4 of the plugin which I am supporting. :)

Sorry to not be able to help but it would take too much time to sort it out. :|

No worries on the previous version, I figured as much. I haven't updated to 7 yet due to a temporary budget challenge but am planning on it relatively soon. I also wanted to wait a bit, since it seems that many of the plugins I use have to be upgraded to 7-compatible versions and I wanted to let any of the bug fixes roll out :-)

So the new LIFX 4 plugin supports setting the saturation as well as the other attributes?

Thanks!

Posted on
Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:55 am
autolog offline

Nidocamen wrote:
... So the new LIFX 4 plugin supports setting the saturation as well as the other attributes? ...

Yes it does. :)

You can read the README.PDF documentation for the latest version (4.0.5) here: https://github.com/autolog/LIFX_Controller/releases

Hope that helps. :)

Posted on
Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:23 am
mollynittany offline

Having this problem with my Lifx Z strips using 4.0.5 on Indigo 7. Doesn't make sense to me

From the Event Log

Mar 30, 2017, 11:19:49 AM
LIFX Unable to process "TurnOn" for "Overhead 1" as device not connected
LIFX LIFX Device 'Overhead 3' re-connected at 192.168.1.146 [d0:73:d5:14:ab:36] using Port 56700
LIFX LIFX Device 'Overhead 3' started.
LIFX LIFX Device 'Overhead 1' re-connected at 192.168.1.135 [d0:73:d5:14:9a:2a] using Port 56700
LIFX LIFX Device 'Overhead 1' started.
LIFX LIFX Device 'Overhead 2' re-connected at 192.168.1.132 [d0:73:d5:14:92:8d] using Port 56700
LIFX LIFX Device 'Overhead 2' started.
LIFX Unable to process "TurnOn" for "Overhead 1" as device not connected

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Posted on
Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:34 am
autolog offline

Do you have any other LIFX bulbs being controlled by the plugin?

Posted on
Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:34 pm
kelmk offline

Would there happen to be a command for lifx to start dimming/stop dimming? I would like to have a similar setup to what the hue plugin can do when connected to an insteon dimmer. Basically when you hold the paddle up on the insteon dimmer then the light starts getting brighter and stops when you release the paddle. Same with down paddle. Hue seems to have this ability. I guess it may be more difficult with lifx? Maybe just keep sending the increase brightness command until receiving a insteon stop dimming command?
Thanks!

Posted on
Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:39 am
autolog offline

I have been working on a low-priority change to do this with mixed results. It hasn't proven to be 100% reliable or consistent.
I will take another look at it in due course and see what I can do - it probably won't be for a few months or so though. :)

Posted on
Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
kelmk offline

Very cool! I want to avoid have to switch all my bulbs to Hue :)

Posted on
Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:19 am
kelmk offline

So I managed to get something working somewhat hackily. I added a lot of triggers that activate when the insteon dimmer brightness changes. They have a condition of device brightness between 10-14 for example and then set the bulb brightness to 10. The only problem is it doesn't happen until I let go of the paddle so no continuous fades.
I could probably write something up in python but I haven't delved into that side of Indigo scripting quite yet.

Posted on
Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:32 am
kelmk offline

So I get a bit of a delay using this LIFX plugin through Indigo compared to the lifx app. The native app is pretty much instant but through Indigo I get 2-3 second delay changing anything. I wonder where the delay is coming from. Just indigo being a bit slow to send commands?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Posted on
Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:45 am
autolog offline

On my system the plugin is slightly slower (maybe a second).
How have you got the durations set in the plugin - this might add to the slowness?

I wouldn't blame Indigo for the slowness - it is most likely my plugin :wink:

The plugin retrieves the current state of the lamp before issuing the command to handle the situation where the lamp could have been altered by the LIFX App.
This would slow it down a bit.

Personally, I have never found the slight delay a problem but YMMV. :)

Posted on
Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:14 pm
kelmk offline

autolog wrote:
On my system the plugin is slightly slower (maybe a second).
How have you got the durations set in the plugin - this might add to the slowness?

I wouldn't blame Indigo for the slowness - it is most likely my plugin :wink:

The plugin retrieves the current state of the lamp before issuing the command to handle the situation where the lamp could have been altered by the LIFX App.
This would slow it down a bit.

Personally, I have never found the slight delay a problem but YMMV. :)

It’s only really noticeable now because I’m doing some experimental stuff :) I’m trying to sync the dimming of my insteon switch to the lifx bulb. I’ll start dimming the main light which starts the dimming process for the lifx bulb but it starts dimming too late and then when I let go of the dimmer it keeps dimming for a few seconds after :p
I’m sure it’s not all your plugin. Indigo needs to receive the dimmer down command from the switch and then send a set command to the lifx to start dimming over 10 seconds. Then when I release the paddle indigo receives the current brightness of the dimmer and sets the lifx to that value a couple seconds later with 0 fade. So they end up at the same brightness eventually but the actually dimming part is laggy. I was hoping I would be able to get rid of the dimmable led bulb attached to the insteon and instead just use a lifx bulb connected to constant load but I think the slight delay will be too frustrating.
Thanks for your help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Posted on
Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:15 pm
autolog offline

The low-priority change I have been working on is to address this situation. :)

The plugin can be made to just fire off dim/brighten messages to the LIFX lamps and not wait for an acknowledgment. The idea being that once the dimming/brightening ends, it stops firing off the messages to dim/brighten and retrieves the LIFX lamp status to make sure that Indigo is in-step with the LIFX lamp.

I will take another look at it once I have completed the nanonleaf Aurora plugin and some further updates I want to do to my Foscam HD plugin. :)

Posted on
Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:22 pm
kelmk offline

Sounds awesome!

Posted on
Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:35 am
autolog offline

kelmk wrote:
Sounds awesome!

Hopefully it is :D

I have just posted V4.1.0 to Github (see announcement post) which supports brightening & dimming. Hopefully it will work for you. :)

Posted on
Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:51 am
autolog offline