HomeKit notes from WWDC

Posted on
Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:20 pm
Different Computers offline

HomeKit notes from WWDC

I'm not there, I'm just copying something seen on reddit.

HomeKit triggers will now support:
    conditional triggers (if I arrive home and it is after dark, run Scene X)
    absolute date and time events (ie - 5pm on June 9th)
    relative time offset (1 hour before sunrise, 2 minutes after sunset, etc)
    The relative time offset could be gated relative to an event (ie start 1 hour before sunrise and finish 1 hour after sunrise)
    This gating feature could be applied to other inputs as well - such as temperature thresholds
    Conditional presence is functional now (you can trigger events when one person leaves - and/or when ALL people leave). This could mean - Jane's bedroom lights go out when Jane leaves. It could also mean that all lights go out and the thermostat changes when the last person leaves - or the first person comes home.
    End events. When I open my patio door at night, the light will come on. Ten minutes after coming on, the light will turn off.
    Events can be run on specific days of the week. ( I feel like that's currently possible... perhaps I am wrong)
    Execute once. You can set up a single shot event.
    Bluetooth LE triggered automation will experience a reduction of latency from several seconds to under a second due to a change in the broadcast process.
    HomeKit Faucets are intended to - I kid you not - allow you to warm up the shower or bath via Siri.
    HomeKit can now be authorized by SOFTWARE!!! In my opinion, this is huge - and could open the floodgates for all of the accessories that don't have a MFi chip.
    Apple has added more MFi certification labs to speed up the release of accessories.
    HomeKit dev kit sounds like it is now open to everyone... https://developer.apple.com/homekit/ (I am not seeing it live yet, but according to the speaker, you do not need to register with MFi until you want to make a commercial product.)
    Keep in mind - these are all code upgrades. It may take a little time for the functions to trickle down.

Do I understand correctly that the part I bolded might allow HomeBridge to be official, or for there to be a direct authorization of Indigo?

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:44 pm
Brady offline

Re: HomeKit notes from WWDC

Different Computers wrote:
HomeKit can now be authorized by SOFTWARE!!! In my opinion, this is huge - and could open the floodgates for all of the accessories that don't have a MFi chip.

I just came running here after hearing the same! I think the homekit session ended about an hour ago and the video isn't yet up on the developer portal.

I would love to use HomeKit for normal control of devices and Indigo Touch app for powerful control pages. Up to today I've always had Homebridge set up, but never really gave family access to it because I never trusted it would be a solid long term solution.

Posted on
Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:15 pm
blysik offline

Posted on
Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:15 pm

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:18 pm
blysik offline

Software authentication & Self-certification

Also new for HomeKit in iOS is software authentication. This is a big deal for older accessories that are already shipping, allowing them to add support for the platform through software without the need for including a hardware authentication chip that Apple previously required.

This seems huge. This seems to mean Indigo could potentially add native homekit support.

Posted on
Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:55 pm

Looks like it's only available for non-commercial use.

https://developer.apple.com/support/hom ... -protocol/

Soooo... would a free plugin for Indigo count as non-commercial?

Posted on
Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:17 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Soooo... would a free plugin for Indigo count as non-commercial?

I didn't look at all the possibilities, but from the article you posted, probably not... but is Apple really going to go after a free Indigo plugin that isn't "official"? I mean, they haven't shut down HomeBridge even on Github... From the article (emphasis mine):
The information provided in the HomeKit Accessory Protocol Specification (Non-Commercial Version) describes how to implement HAP in an accessory that you create for non-commercial use and that will not be distributed or sold.

The way I read it, worst case, I would say that it makes HomeBridge a lot more stable and less fragile.

... now back to the important things, like making Domotics Pad support native Google Home integration... :)

Posted on
Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:30 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

RogueProeliator wrote:
... now back to the important things, like making Domotics Pad support native Google Home integration... :)

Why would Google Home support be specific to Domotics Pad? Just curious... ;)

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:26 pm
roussell offline

jay (support) wrote:
RogueProeliator wrote:

Why would Google Home support be specific to Domotics Pad? Just curious... ;)

Y'all both need to squash that notion and give me...uh I mean "us"... more UI controls in IT & DP!! Sliders, video, multi line lists, and HTML windows for the win!! Eyes on the prize gentlemen, eyes on the prize!!

;-)

Terry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:34 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Why would Google Home support be specific to Domotics Pad? Just curious...

Google made, IMHO, a huge design blunder with Google Home -- with certain local devices protocols that they support (such as Phillips Hue) -- they hard coded the ports to work with certain protocols. For instance, on the Hue support it will only connect on port 80. Of course, Indigo running on a Mac Mini often has 80 already in use.

So one thing I am investigating is giving Domotics Pad the ability to advertise as one of the hubs that supports local control -- where a port 80 (listening) conflict can be easier to control. Since the app already knows of the full protocol and devices and such it isn't a big stretch. I wouldn't put a lot of effort into this; there are Java libraries already built for many of these protocols... still investigating though.

My thoughts are that it would be cool to basically check a flag in Domotics Pad on your console-style tablet that allows it to advertise as a hub. Of course, this could work for Alexa and such but we already have a plugin that does fine with that. Some of the other hubs (not Hue) support more device types so I want to investigate at least those with Java libraries already built.

We'll see.

Posted on
Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:28 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Ah - I thought you were working with their "real" API.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:44 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Ah - I thought you were working with their "real" API.

I'm waiting for you guys to get that OAuth server going for Alexa first! Then we can do some really cool conversational and natural language requests!!

Posted on
Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:51 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

So, they too are taking the approach that all integration has to happen in the cloud via OAuth'd resources.

Security be damned... :roll:

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:05 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Update from Apple regarding Indigo and HomeKit.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:32 am
rehafer offline

The other question; does a free third-party plug-in count for a non-commercial license?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk