Nanoleaf light panels (Legacy thread)

Posted on
Tue May 30, 2017 6:03 am
autolog offline

Re: Nanoleaf light panels

Just placed an order for a Nanoleaf Starter Set - should arrive tomorrow (Wednesday). :D

I have also signed-up for the Developer Program and I have briefly reviewed the API documentation. It all looks doable for local Indigo control which is good.

Next step is to look at developing an Indigo Plugin - and in best Indigo traditions, I am not sure how long this will take and it will likely be evolutionary rather than "all singing and dancing" on day one. :)

Posted on
Tue May 30, 2017 6:49 am
Different Computers offline

Hey @peteinau-- how bright are these? I'm curious if they could actually be used as the primary source of light in a room, or are they more like accent light? I don't expect them to work as reading lamps, but if I set them all to warm white 100% will I be annoyed at how dim a 12' x 14' room is?

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Tue May 30, 2017 7:25 am
howartp offline

autolog wrote:
Just placed an order for a Nanoleaf Starter Set - should arrive tomorrow (Wednesday). :D

I have also signed-up for the Developer Program and I have briefly reviewed the API documentation.

Next step is to look at developing an Indigo Plugin on day one. :)

So Thursday, yes?

Seriously, I'm glad you took it on - your the dev that I had in mind to summon if you didn't arrive at this thread of your own accord. :>

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Posted on
Tue May 30, 2017 7:30 am
autolog offline

re: time estimate - looks like my quoted post got edited :wink: :D

Posted on
Tue May 30, 2017 12:49 pm
howartp offline

Damn, you noticed :-)

Posted on
Tue May 30, 2017 4:08 pm
durosity offline

Hey, that's my trademarked prank!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Computer says no.

Posted on
Tue May 30, 2017 6:53 pm
dtich offline

@diff comps: i have the 9 panel starter on a wall. definitely not dim, they get very bright. and you can certainly read by the light if you're nearby, but it all depends on placement. if you put 9 panels on the ceiling you could get an extremely bright light out of that.

i'm pretty thrilled with it. have it in the bedroom, use it to wake up, go to sleep, even trying different colors and patterns for light therapy... i feel palpably calmer with an undulating blue light pattern going i must say. it's pretty delightful. i have philips hue lights in other parts of house, including two very big soffit lights in the main room that each have several sections of the rope lights, and that works so well... very cool and functional, in addition to being fun.

looking forward to nano leaf control in indigo. :D

(ps didn't mean to send that pm, hit wrong button, apologies.)

Posted on
Tue May 30, 2017 11:21 pm
peteinau offline

Hey,

Well we have 18 on the wall.... they are visible in daylight (by which I mean direct sunlight into our lounge room), so they are pretty bright. Ours are positioned on the lounge room wall behind the couch. We have a hue light bulb and a hue lightstrip plus in the same room and when the Nanoleaf is on full in white you can't even notice when you turn the Hue off.

Have a couple of scene running on it, most we set it to about 50-60% to give more of an accent, Fireplace at the moment gives a nice comfy accent in winter here.

Definitely looking forward to the plugin, it's the first thing in ages that isn't actually completely integrated into the house. Have a slight integration via homebridge/homekit but not quite as handy.

Thanks,
Pete

Posted on
Tue May 30, 2017 11:26 pm
howartp offline

durosity wrote:
Hey, that's my trademarked prank!

Well you weren't here so tough!

Posted on
Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:03 pm
autolog offline

I have got the nanoleaf Aurora panels and have started to test with them.

I am starting development of the plugin but it will be at least a week or so before I have anything available to try out. :)

Posted on
Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:40 pm
dtich offline

well, that's fantastic. thrilled to hear. look forward to your progress - and thanks!

Posted on
Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:07 am

Picked up a set of these yesterday at the Apple store and regardless of a few reviews on the App Store, I had zero problems getting them set up, though there was a bit of confusion before HomeKit populated them to my Home App.

Also the indirect method of control where HomeKit triggers an Aurora scene based on a device state update from HomeBridge-Indigo DOES work! So you can make Aurora part of your automations immediately, if not directly.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:00 pm
autolog offline

Plugin is now in development and initial testing is in progress. This embryonic (pre-alpha) version of the plugin is partially working. I can turn the Aurora on and off via Indigo and alter the White Temperature colour via Indigo. Still being developed and so not suitable for release in it's current state but thought I would post an update so that interested parties know there is something happening. :)

Posted on
Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:04 pm
dtich offline

great

Posted on
Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:16 pm

Awesome stuff! I'm sure everyone in this thread is as excited as I am, and just as willing to beta test.