Weather Underground Plugin

Posted on
Fri May 26, 2017 6:06 pm
DaveL17 offline

Re: Weather Underground Plugin

Hi John - I'm starting to make progress on what we talked about. I wanted to drop the WUnderground Radar device before starting on this project.

Keep the ideas coming!

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Mon May 29, 2017 7:19 am
haavarda offline

Hi Dave.
I am getting the error below when I try to use the new radar feature. Any idea? I am located in norway...

Code: Select all
WUnderground Error              Error downloading satellite image. Error: (Line 1136  invalid literal for int() with base 10: '')

Håvard

Posted on
Mon May 29, 2017 7:30 am
Different Computers offline

Slightly similarly, I don't get an error, but aside from the WU watermark and the timestamp, my radar image is a blank white square.

Maybe I don't understand the location parameter requirements. Do I need something besides the particular PWS:STATIONNAME? I don't see an explanation of what to enter at https://davel17.github.io/WUnderground/
Attachments
refreshingimage.gif
refreshingimage.gif (4.64 KiB) Viewed 6542 times

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Mon May 29, 2017 9:36 am
DaveL17 offline

haavarda wrote:
Hi Dave.
I am getting the error below when I try to use the new radar feature. Any idea? I am located in norway...

WUnderground Error              Error downloading satellite image. Error: (Line 1136  invalid literal for int() with base 10: '')

Hi - you are the second to report the same error. Try going into the device settings and check the animation checkbox (if it's not already selected) and see if the animation delay control is empty. If it is, please set the delay to 25. Otherwise, please delete and recreate the device--that was the step that solved the other users' problem.

Posted on
Mon May 29, 2017 9:43 am
DaveL17 offline

Different Computers wrote:
Slightly similarly, I don't get an error, but aside from the WU watermark and the timestamp, my radar image is a blank white square.

The settings depend on the type of location settings you choose. If you have selected 'Location' (and not Bounding Box or Radius) then any of the location enumerators on the Wiki page should work:

The location specified for each weather device type controls how data will be sourced for the device. The following location formats are currently supported by the plugin:

autoip
The auto IP location parameter will attempt to provide the data that is most appropriate for the location associated with the user’s current IP address. This address is your external IP address, and not the address of your Indigo Server. This is not always the best approach and relies extensively on how accurate your ISP reports locations. For example, sometimes my auto IP location is several hundred miles away.

City
The format of the city location parameter will be dictated by whether your location is a U.S. city. Cities within the U.S. should format the location as STATE/CITY_NAME and non-U.S. cities should format the location as COUNTRY_NAME/CITY_NAME. The following formats are all examples of valid formats: CA/San_Francisco, IL/Chicago, Canada/Toronto, Canada/Quebec_City, United_Kingdom/London

Latitude/Longitude
the latitude/longitude location parameter should be entered latitude followed by longitude, with the values separated by a comma (no spaces.) For example, the following formats are both valid: 48.86,2.29 or -33.86,151.22

ICAO Airport Station
the ICAO airport location parameter will supply data sourced to any one of a number of ICAO reporting stations—for example, KORD (O’Hare) or CYYZ (Toronto). To find an ICAO airport locator ID for your local airport (if appropriate) go to an ICAO locator site such as Avcodes

Personal Weather Station
Personal Weather Station location parameters are keyed to individual weather stations within the Weather Underground Personal Weather Station network. Each weather station has a unique identifier which should be preceded by the code pws: (for example, ‘pws:KMNCHASK10)

US ZIP Code
Lastly, the US ZIP Code location parameter can be used, of the format ‘12345’. This is a Weather Underground feature and unfortunately, other country’s parcel post locator codes are not currently supported.

One last thing you might try is to use 'pws:' instead of 'PWS:' (lower instead of upper)--although I'd be surprised if that made a difference. Lastly, you can hover your cursor over any plugin setting and a help bubble will appear with information for that particular control.

Please let me know if it's still not working for you.

Posted on
Mon May 29, 2017 9:45 am
DaveL17 offline

Here is an example of my current settings (just tested to be working properly):

Screen Shot 2017-05-29 at 10.44.31 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-05-29 at 10.44.31 AM.png (163.35 KiB) Viewed 6575 times

Posted on
Mon May 29, 2017 9:48 am
DaveL17 offline

haavarda wrote:
Hi Dave.

UPDATE: I just found the bug that's causing this error. Setting the animation delay should definitely solve the problem (you might have to set it to something other than it's current setting, save, and then set it back.

I'll post an updated version soon.

Posted on
Tue May 30, 2017 12:25 am
haavarda offline

Your suggestion solved the error Dave. Thanks.
Do you know how the radar coverage is? I only get a black image...

----------
I found an open API for a radar in norway. Any chance to get this to play with any of your devices Dave?

http://api.met.no/weatherapi/radar/1.5/?radarsite=southwest_norway;type=reflectivity;content=animation;size=normal

http://api.met.no/weatherapi/radar/1.5/documentation

I get the following error when I use your sat downloader and put it on a control page...
WebServer                       file:////Users/Server/Documents/Radarbilde/radar.png size too large: received 1876892 / max 768000
Attachments
WUradar2.png
WUradar2.png (223.22 KiB) Viewed 6514 times

Håvard

Posted on
Tue May 30, 2017 5:49 am
DaveL17 offline

haavarda wrote:
Do you know how the radar coverage is? I only get a black image...

The information that WU provides regarding the API is a little sparse. What I have been able to find is this:

Global Radar
A new experimental radar layer has been added that has worldwide coverage. It combines existing radar data where data is available and fills in the gaps with computer models of precipitation.

When I run a map for Oslo, I get the same result that you get. Perhaps Norway is one of the places where data isn't available. There's also a possibility that the data isn't available at the moment, so you might want to wait a while to see if the result improves.

haavarda wrote:
I get the following error when I use your sat downloader and put it on a control page...
WebServer                       file:////Users/Server/Documents/Radarbilde/radar.png size too large: received 1876892 / max 768000

The radar plugin device is specifically written against the WUnderground API, but it wouldn't be too tough to clone that part of the code and write a plugin that works with your provider. I can help if you need it. Regarding the above message (it's not really an error), there's a limit in the Indigo Web Server for image size that you're exceeding with the 1.9Mb image. Is it possible for you to request a smaller image size via your provider's URL? There might be a parameter you can adjust to get a smaller image. This may be the better approach for you.

Posted on
Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:42 am
haavarda offline

Any help would be much appreciated. What rely got my attention was the trick to make it animate. That makes the radar images much more usable.
If you look at the link below I was able to change the size to medium. Looks like this takes the size to below 1.9 mb.

Size of image. Note that size 'normal' means that the size of the image maps correctly to grid of the data source ( one pixel for one data point ).
Sizes small, medium, large and normal are available for only some radar types. See 'http://api.met.no/weatherapi/radar/1.5/available'

http://api.met.no/weatherapi/radar/1.5/ ... ize=medium

Håvard

Posted on
Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:31 pm
DaveL17 offline

Hi Håvard - your link works with the WUnderground Satellite Image Downloader. Is there more that you're looking to do with the API?

Posted on
Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:25 pm
loafbread offline

Feature Request

This is a great plugin. Please consider adding the "neighborhood" state to the weather underground devices. I use multiple stations in the same city and would like to distinguish them from each other.

"station": [
{
"neighborhood":"Beresford Creek Street",
"city":"Charleston",
"state":"SC",
"country":"US",
"id":"KSCCHARL71",
"lat":32.863590,
"lon":-79.922234,
"distance_km":1,
"distance_mi":0
}
{
"neighborhood":"Etiwan Park",
"city":"Charleston",
"state":"SC",
"country":"US",
"id":"KSCCHARL1004",
"lat":32.860050,
"lon":-79.921829,
"distance_km":1,
"distance_mi":0
},
etc

Posted on
Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:41 pm
DaveL17 offline

loafbread wrote:
Feature Request

This is a great plugin. Please consider adding the "neighborhood" state to the weather underground devices. I use multiple stations in the same city and would like to distinguish them from each other.

Hey, thanks for the compliment. I'm happy to take a look.

Posted on
Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:44 pm
DaveL17 offline

loafbread wrote:
Feature Request: Please consider adding the "neighborhood" state to the weather underground devices.

I have taken a stab at the neighborhood state and I'm setting it based on the current station_id of the Weather Device location. For example, I have a development device with the lat/long 52.45,0.04 and the result is:
Screen Shot 2017-06-27 at 8.33.03 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-06-27 at 8.33.03 PM.png (21.87 KiB) Viewed 6116 times

The system doesn't work for all types of locations. For example, Newcastle International (EGNT) is not supported.
Screen Shot 2017-06-27 at 8.39.27 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-06-27 at 8.39.27 PM.png (26.37 KiB) Viewed 6116 times

Here's another (specified PWS):
Screen Shot 2017-06-27 at 8.39.38 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-06-27 at 8.39.38 PM.png (26.61 KiB) Viewed 6116 times

Is this the kind of thing you were looking for? If I've hit the mark, I think this is ready to go (I have a few other small enhancements for the next release as well.)

Posted on
Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:45 am
loafbread offline

That's it. Thanks. Its works on all three stations I track.