Alexa has Quit

Posted on
Tue May 16, 2017 8:16 pm
Pilott28 offline

Alexa has Quit

I had Alexa working via the Hue Bridge plug-in, and it has suddenly stopped working. I have rebooted, reloaded the hue plug-in and deleted and republished devices. Discovery is on and the log reflects my actions. Alexa can't discover any of the devices, however.

Anyone else having this issue and if so, is there a resolution?

Given the success of Alexa, is there any hope of a native plug-in at some time that is fully supported by Indigo?

Posted on
Wed May 17, 2017 12:14 pm
autolog offline

Re: Alexa has Quit

Which version of the plugin are you using?

Have you done the port 1900 check as documented here: Alexa-Hue Bridge Debug Logs + Port 1900 Check ?

Also, probably best to post in the Alexa-Hue Bridge sub-forum questions you have about the Alexa plugin. :wink:

Posted on
Wed May 17, 2017 5:23 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

[MODERATOR NOTE] moved to the Alexa-Hue Bridge forum.

We will eventually have a native Alexa skill, but there are several problems to overcome as described elsewhere. No ETA however.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed May 31, 2017 8:37 pm
Pilott28 offline

OK, I've had a chance to trouble shoot this issue. I am running on a mac mini and the operating system is 10.7.5.

I have rebooted the machine, and have restarted the plug-in. The result of the lsof and the Indigo event window are attached. Everything else within Indigo is working fine. Alexa still can't find any devices. It was working at one time but simply quit one day.
Attachments
lsof.tiff
lsof.tiff (17.23 KiB) Viewed 2760 times
log.jpg
log.jpg (62.54 KiB) Viewed 2760 times

Posted on
Wed May 31, 2017 8:39 pm
Pilott28 offline

Here is the lsof window in jpg format.
Attachments
lsof.jpg
lsof.jpg (30.7 KiB) Viewed 2759 times

Posted on
Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:06 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Enable debugging and turn on the checkboxes for all debug options (also turn on Log Discovery). Then switch to the Event Log window and click the Clear button. Finally, tell Alexa to discover devices. Once it tells you it doesn't find anything, copy/paste all the text from the Event Log window into a reply (then turn off all those config checkboxes).

[EDIT] sorry, looks like you already have all those config checkboses turned on, so just do the rest.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:51 am
autolog offline

Meant to reply earlier - it has been one of those days :roll:

When you turn on all those debugging options, it is writing the debug info to the plugin logs - see the link previously given a couple of posts back on how to access the plugin logs.

When you are doing the discovery, are you using the Alexa App or asking Alexa to discover devices - I have found that asking Alexa to discover devices can be more production - YMMV. :)

Posted on
Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:18 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

autolog wrote:
When you turn on all those debugging options, it is writing the debug info to the plugin logs - see the link previously given a couple of posts back on how to access the plugin logs.

In that case, rather than copy/pasting the debug info from the Event Log window, open the Event Log window, click on the "Show Event Logs Folder" button, which will open a Finder window to the Logs folder in the Indigo installation. Scroll down until you see the opensource.alexa-hue-bridge folder and open that. The "plugin.log" file is the log file for the current day. Attach it to a reply (I believe it'll allow you to attach that file type).

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:11 pm
Pilott28 offline

Here is the hue log. It appears to publish once a day, so this is yesterday's. Its long and repetitive, so I've attached just the last part of the log.

Thanks for the help.
Attachments
huelog1.jpg
huelog1.jpg (339.62 KiB) Viewed 2639 times

Posted on
Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:13 am
autolog offline

Unfortunately the partial log you posted doesn't help. :|

As Jay requested, you need to post the whole log as an attachment, not as a JPG snippet.

When you reply to this post do the following:
  • Click on Attachments at the bottom of the reply area
  • Click Choose File and then select the plugin.log file from the log directory (see Jay's instructions)
  • Click Add the file
  • Clicking Attachments again should reveal the plugin.log file a a currently attached file
  • Click Submit to post your reply
This will give us the full log file which may help in trying to resolve the problem. :)

Also, please reload the plugin (make a note of the time) and then reproduce the error. Then send the log and a note of the time the plugin was restarted so we know where to start looking. :)

Posted on
Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:15 am
Pilott28 offline

Here is the plugin.log file from yesterday. At 12:13 I reloaded the hue plugin, then deactivated the logging, then reactivated the logging, and finally asked Alexa to "discover devices". All this took place between 12:13 and 12:14.

I have also attached a snippet of the Indigo event log for that period.
Attachments
indigolog.jpg
indigolog.jpg (79.6 KiB) Viewed 2526 times
plugin.log
(28.51 KiB) Downloaded 65 times

Posted on
Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:03 pm
autolog offline

I have had a look at the log and compared it to my logs and it doesn't look like the plugin is receiving any requests over the network from Alexa. :?

What I do see in the log is the CALLER - HTTPD_REQUEST_HANDLER [ENTERED] log entries that are showing a devices with a User-Agent of Android/5.1.1 UPnP/1.0 Cling/2.0.

On my system, when I ask Alexa to discover devices, I am getting a request from Alexa that looks like:
Code: Select all
GET /api/SNWhIkUf8bYmMu7FoMPEyUFwEYYoP8QrrzwsZbOI/lights HTTP/1.1
Host: <IP ADDRESS>:8181
Accept: */*
I can't see any request like this in your log. :(

I am at a bit of a loss as to what suggest next. :(

When it stopped working, had you added any other devices to the network or changed your network in any way?

Posted on
Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:19 pm
Pilott28 offline

Not that I am aware of, but something in the software infrastructure has obviously changed.

I would really encourage Indigo to overcome the issues with Alexa integration ... many have ... and get a tested, supported solution out on the platform.

Posted on
Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:29 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Do you have both WiFi and Ethernet enabled on your Indigo Server Mac?

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:29 pm
Pilott28 offline

Just wireless.