Insteon Siren

Forum rules

Questions about hardware that can be controlled by Indigo (but not through the interfaces and plugins listed). If Indigo doesn't support some bit of hardware you're interested in, and you don't find a 3rd Party Plugin for it, add it to this forum. Be sure to include links to as much information as you can find about it.

Note: adding it here does not mean we're going to add it - in fact it's possible one of our 3rd party developers may decide to write a plugin for it. We add hardware/features based on a lot of different factors beyond just having a request for it.

Posted on
Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:22 pm
btassias offline

Insteon Siren

I saw this Insteon Siren Module Part Number 2868-222 from Smart Home Has it looks like it would with work other Insteon management software.
has anyone tried using this device

Posted on
Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:01 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Insteon Siren

Indigo can turn the siren ON and OFF (added in Indigo 7). We recently got more detailed developer documentation from Smarthome, so we have on our list to investigate support for some of the settings.

Posted on
Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:04 am
JimD offline

+1 for indigo support for the 2868-222 module for chime (2 short beeps, as per documentation), as well as siren sounds. Thanks!

Posted on
Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:25 am
hamw offline

+2 for chimes and siren per user choice. I bought several of these and it would be great if they had both functionalities. Potentially excellent device!

Posted on
Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:45 am
rgspb offline

I just received one of these sirens and keep getting an error when trying to set it up with Indigo.

Linking - no match found for device type ID 1822 with firmware version 46
Linking failed

this happens pretty quick after pressing the Start button on the Define and Sync screen. Is there a trick to setting these up?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-04-24 at 12.54.17 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-04-24 at 12.54.17 PM.png (117.41 KiB) Viewed 4235 times
Screen Shot 2017-04-24 at 12.46.33 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-04-24 at 12.46.33 PM.png (98.39 KiB) Viewed 4235 times

Posted on
Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:03 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

The siren was added in Indigo 7 - are you still using Indigo 6?

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:28 am
rgspb offline

yes...bummer for me :cry:

Posted on
Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:18 pm
CraigM offline

So I just upgraded to v7, so I could use these new sirens. Unfortunately the instructions are so unclear as to how to get them to work.

I added a new device as normal, but I don't understand the "Send PowerLinc Button Press" instructions, which refer you to the Insteon instructions which all seem to use their app.

Is there a reason why the full step-by-step instructions are not on the Indigo website?

Could someone who is using these devices please publish instructions?
Thanks

Posted on
Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:56 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

If I remember correctly you can just ignore that UI (which shows the Send PowerLinc Button Press button). The main Turn On and Turn Off buttons should cause the siren to activate and deactivate.

Posted on
Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:17 pm
CraigM offline

I think we are missing some steps. I think there is some other linking involved.

I called Smarthome, and as usual the minute you mention Indigo the conversation stops. They treat Indigo like it's a made by Russian hackers in a basement instead of a valued partner.

Things I have discovered:

If you use the set button on the module to scroll to SIREN, Indigo will turn On/Off [BUT] if the module loses power it reverts to DOORBELL. SH tech kept talking about linking, and that if it is linked in SIREN mode it should remember SIREN mode.

This is a big deal if you expect SIRENS re: security but you get DOORBELLS, just because you had a momentary power outage that you might not even be aware of!

What about the ARMED [green] DISARMED [red] modes, how do those come into play with Indigo?

Could someone who is currently using these devices please write a complete tutorial on ALL the steps needed to get an Insteon Motion Sensor trigger to fire the SIREN, even after a power outage.

thanks

Posted on
Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:25 pm
rgspb offline

I've got the same issue with the toggling of the modes. It's maddening that you can't set it at one mode and it stays.

Posted on
Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:41 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Given the problems you all are seeing, try creating a PowerLinc Group/Scene to control the siren instead of using the direct Turn On and Turn Off actions.

Follow the steps shows in the Siren manual ("Triggering Siren from an Insteon Device", page 22 on the version I'm looking at). For step #1, the Insteon device is the PowerLinc:

SirenManual wrote:
1) On the Insteon device that you would like to trigger Siren, press and hold the set button until its LED begins blinking.

But don't try use the physical button on the PowerLinc. Instead choose the Interfaces->INSTEON->Manage INSTEON PowerLinc Links… menu item (Command+L). From the responder popup choose your siren device. It will then put the PowerLinc into linking mode and you can do steps 2 and 3 from the Siren manual to complete the link:

SirenManual wrote:
2) On Siren, tap the set button until you hear the desired alert tone.

3) Press and hold the set button until you hear a double-beep.

Once it is complete you should be able to turn the PowerLinc scene on/off to have it control the siren (you can test it from the PowerLinc link editor dialog). You should also be able to follow a similar approach creating a different PowerLinc Group to arm/disarm the siren.

Posted on
Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:55 pm
CraigM offline

:D :D So far it seems to work great, and remembers the mode after a power loss.

But one oddity, when sending the PowerLinc OFF command it takes ±20 seconds for the sirens to turn off. There are no log events during that time, and it is not a signal traffic issue because the DEVICE OFF command turns them off instantly.

Side note product review:
These are loud_ish. I have used other siren modules that are physically painful to be in the same room. My smoke detectors are rated 85db and are much louder than these sirens which are rated at 115db AT ONE METER, so consider these a minor deterrent.

This could have been a great product, but it falls short because its just not loud enough.

Thanks Matt for solving the config issue

Posted on
Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:39 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

I have two different Z-Wave sirens and both are extremely loud.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:45 pm
CraigM offline

Any idea what is causing the PowerLinc OFF delay?