Device Extensions CPU Load

Posted on
Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:44 pm
roquej offline

Device Extensions CPU Load

Just noticed that the CPU load on Indigo is quite high with Device Extensions.

Process CPU Plugin Disabled CPU Plugin Enable
IndigoProcess 0.5% 19.1%
IndigoPluginHost 0.7 % 14.5%

Any suggestions?

JP

Posted on
Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:12 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

Re: Device Extensions CPU Load

What version do you have? If you have something that is changing regularly then DE could be updating quite a bit.

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:24 pm
roquej offline

Version is 1.5.0

Using it to track status of several virtual devices (4) tied to relays that open doors Using the plugin to transform Off/On to Locked/Unlocked.

JP

Posted on
Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:21 am
aldera offline

Hello,

I'm seeing a very high CPU load with your plugin (v1.5.3). Indigo is running on its own server, a Macmini. I've created only 1 device with your plugin - "Convert Lux to Word value". The physical luminance device hadn't provided any updates for over a half hour so I don't think that there is a lot of updating going on for that device. I attached screen shots of Activity Monitor with your plugin enabled and disabled. All the other plugins are using 0.1 to 0.3 CPU%. Yours is averaging approximately 3.8% to 5%. Also, notice that Indigo Server CPU usage goes from 0.1% without your plugin to 4.1% with your plugin enabled.

I just discovered your plugin yesterday and really like it but I'm concerned about the CPU load. Is there something I'm maybe doing wrong? I just became an Indigo user in September.
Attachments
enabled.jpg
enabled.jpg (101.18 KiB) Viewed 3862 times
disabled.jpg
disabled.jpg (102.59 KiB) Viewed 3862 times

Posted on
Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:38 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

4.1 doesn't seem exceptionally high to me considering that the plugin is monitoring another device 24/7. That particular plugin is a little out of date, I have a newer on that I need to push out that should be a bit less resource intense. I'm not sure if I can get it out there this week but I'll try.

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:07 pm
aldera offline

Colorado4Wheeler wrote:
4.1 doesn't seem exceptionally high to me considering that the plugin is monitoring another device 24/7. That particular plugin is a little out of date, I have a newer on that I need to push out that should be a bit less resource intense. I'm not sure if I can get it out there this week but I'll try.

Thanks for the reply. Not an expert by any means on plugins so I'm not in a position to discuss resource usage. It just seems like an outlier when it's using almost 20-40 times the CPU load compared to the 15 or so other plugins I'm using. Among others, I have Cynical SecuritySpy (4 cameras), Alexa-Hue Bridge and Virtual Energy Meter (17 devices) and they never go much over 0.2 or 0.3.

It just jumped out at me when I looked at Activity Monitor. Still getting the feel for the whole Indigo ecosystem. I do appreciate all the plugin developers, like yourself, that provide these services for free. It's a great community. Thanks again. :)

Posted on
Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:34 am
Different Computers offline

I have also noticed Device Extension using lots of CPU over the past year I've been using it. At one point I had to turn it off because of that.

But I'm not really tuned in to how it has behaved since I switched from a 2008 Mac Mini to a much more modern server.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:25 am
howartp offline

Just been looking in my Activity Monitor and noticed a plugin using 15% of the CPU...

Yep, you guessed it - it's Device Extensions.

I only have two "Conversion" extensions to convert the same On/Off to Locked/Unlocked the same as @roquej, but I only have two of them.

I think it probably needs looking at when you get time, DC; as others have said we have 20-30 plugins averaging 2% each, including reaching out and monitoring remote web endpoints, so your one plugin taking 15% to do "nothing" seems excessive.

Peter

Posted on
Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:57 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

Checking on any outstanding issue before I release a new version and I think this issue is resolved as I've done a lot of library work over the past year and it impacts this plugin. On my system Device Extensions is using .8 to 1.2% and I have 38 extension devices running in Indigo. Anyway, a new version is dropping soon that you can try if you are still needing the functionality of D/E.

Check Them Out Here

Page 1 of 1