Ethernet Relay Board -- Works Great!

Posted on
Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:48 pm
raneil offline

Ethernet Relay Board -- Works Great!

01/06/2018 MODERATOR UPDATE: Since this original post and AppleScript were posted an Indigo plugin has been created (by TwitchCaptain), so if you are interested in this hardware checkout the plugin download and the new sub-forum to discuss using it here.

I have been using two of these Ethernet Relay Boards (ERBs) with our HA system for the past few months. They're reasonably priced, and seem to be well-made. Best of all, they're very fast/responsive and have proven to be 100% reliable so far. I've been impressed, so I thought I'd spread the word. They appear to be available from several different Asia-based eBay sellers; I'm in no way affiliated with any of them. Just a satisfied customer.

You'll need a separate 12V DC power supply with a standard 2.1mm x 5.5mm barrel plug on it (like this one), and an Ethernet cable to connect the ERB to your network (no Wi-Fi).

The ERB presents a rudimentary on-board, web-based UI which allows you to query, control and configure the hardware via any web browser. Or you can use any other software that can send basic http commands over your network, and read the response. I'm currently using AppleScript (more on that below).

There is little to no documentation available, and none at all was provided with the board itself. The package contained only a naked circuit board in an anti-static bag.

However, one of the other eBay sellers (can't seem to find the link now) had some very basic instructions on his/her eBay listing, and from that I was able to gain access via Safari. From there, I managed to cobble together an AppleScript that provides full control and query functionality. Obviously, the same could have been done using Python or virtually any scripting/coding language. But I chose AppleScript since I need to control one ERB using Remote Buddy, and the other using Indigo. Remote Buddy doesn't speak Python, and I'm too lazy to write the handlers twice. Fortunately, Indigo is multilingual!

NOTE TO MATT & JAY: Don't you dare drop that AppleScript support! :P

Currently, I'm using one ERB to control a haked Hunter Ceiling Fan remote that I also bought on eBay. This allows us to control our living room ceiling fan and light (including the reverse function!) using our Harmony Elite remote (via Remote Buddy).

I'm using a 2nd ERB in a modified/updated version of our Vehicle Remote Start feature with Indigo. This one turned out to be a VERY long and somewhat humorous saga. Another post about that later...

Things you'll need to know:

DHCP is not supported, so you must assign a static IP address suitable for your network. Factory defaults are:

IP address: 192.168.1.167
Netmask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1
HTTP Port: 80
TCP Port: 1234
User name: "admin"
Password: "12345678"

Below is a set of simple AppleScript handlers I put together for my own testing and documentation. Feel free to copy and use as you see fit. All the usual caveats, disclaimers, and warnings apply. Use at your own risk.

Feel free to post any questions/comments.

Enjoy!

Code: Select all
(*
   Ethernet Relay Board (ERB) Control Script

v1.0 - July 12, 2016

This script contains handlers for controlling the 8-Channel Ethernet Relay board purchased via eBay last week:
      http://www.ebay.com/itm/182011913244

This ethernet-accessible relay board has 8 individual single-pole, double-throw relays with contacts rated for 10A at 227VAC, 12A AT 125VAC

It is controlled via a simple web-based interface, but no documentation of any kind was provided.  After hunting around on eBay, I found
   a few other sellers offering the same board for sale.  Most had at least enough information to access the board via the web-based interface.

DHCP is not supported.  The default networking parameters are (all are configurable via the web-based interface):

•   HTTP port: 80
      •   TCP port: 1234
      •   Static IP address: 192.168.1.166
      •   Username: "admin"
      •   Password: "12345678"
      •   Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
      •   Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1
      •   Primary DNS Server: 194.25.2.129
      •   Secondary DNS Server: 194.25.2.130

Each relay can be assigned it's own pulse delay value from 1 to 65536 seconds on the "Switch Configuration" page.  Each relay is initially assigned
   a pulse delay of 1 second.

On the "Switch Control" page in addition to the basic "on" and "off" commands, each relay can be sent a pulse command (misspelled as "pluse")
   which will cause it to turn on (energize the coil) for the number of seconds assigned to it, before automatically turning back off.

After looking over the page source for the "Switch Control" page, I discovered that simple HTTP POST requests could be used to send individual
   "on", "off", and "pulse" commands to each relay.  Additionally, there are commands to turn all 8 relays on or off, but no command to
   pulse all 8.  I was unable to figure out how to directly query the board for the state of a given relay.  As such, I'm doing it the old fashioned
   way -- by reading the entire "Switch Control" page (such as it is), then parsing the HTML results to determine the individual relay states.  Even so,
   these handlers are reasonably fast -- more than fast enough for any real-world control scenario.

The board is very responsive, and functioned without a single glitch or failed command during several hours of testing/debugging of this script.

UPDATE 01/25/2017:  Two of these ERBs have been in use (one of them multiple times per day, every day) for several months, with no problems or errors.
*)

property relayBoardIP : "192.168.1.167"
property relayBoardUser : "admin"
property relayBoardPW : "12345678"
property relayBoardTimeOut : 2
property relayBoardURL : "http://" & relayBoardUser & ":" & relayBoardPW & "@" & relayBoardIP & "/relay_en.cgi"

set r to 8
set s to true

-- Test commands:

-- my setRelayState(r, s)
-- my toggleRelayState(r)
-- set newState to my getRelayState(r)
-- my setRelayStates({true, false, missing value, 1, "true", 0, false, true})
--my setRelayStatesOff()
--my pulseRelayState(r, 0.5)
--my pulseRelayStateNoWait(r, 1.61)
--set stateList to my getRelayStates()

-- realy board handlers ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
on setRelayState(relayNumber, relayState)
   -- set the energized state of the specified relay (the first relay is 1) to the specified state (true is energized)
   local theResult, relayCommand
   try
      set relayNumber to relayNumber as integer
      set relayState to relayState as boolean
   on error
      return ""
   end try

if relayNumber > 0 and relayNumber < 10 then
      set relayCommand to "off"
      if relayState is true then set relayCommand to "on"
      try
         set theResult to doShellScript({"curl --connect-timeout", relayBoardTimeOut, "--data", "saida" & (relayNumber as text) & relayCommand & "=" & relayCommand, relayBoardURL})
      end try
   end if
   return ""
end setRelayState

on getRelayState(relayNumber)
   -- get the energized state of the specified relay (the first relay is 1, true is energized)
   local retVal

-- default return value in case of comm failure
   set retVal to missing value

if relayNumber > 0 and relayNumber < 9 then
      try
         set theResult1 to doShellScript({"curl --connect-timeout", relayBoardTimeOut, relayBoardURL})

set {TID, AppleScript's text item delimiters} to {AppleScript's text item delimiters, {"img src=\"", ".jpg"}}
         set bs to the text items of theResult1
         set retVal to ((text item (relayNumber * 2) of theResult1) is "lighton")
         set AppleScript's text item delimiters to TID
      on error errMsg number errNum
         set fullErrMsg to (errMsg & " (" & errNum as text) & ")." -- for degugging purposes
      end try
   end if
   return retVal
end getRelayState

on toggleRelayState(relayNumber)
   -- toggle the energized state of the specified relay (the first relay is 1)
   local currentState

if relayNumber > 0 and relayNumber < 9 then
      set currentState to my getRelayState(relayNumber)
      if currentState is not missing value then
         my setRelayState(relayNumber, not currentState)
      end if
   end if
end toggleRelayState

on setRelayStates(newStates)
   -- set the states of the specified relays (the first relay is 1) to the specified states (true is energized)
   -- newStates is assumed to be a list of booleans (or values that can be coerced to booleans)
   -- each value in the list is used to set the state of the corresponding relay, in order.  That is, the first value in the list determines
   -- the state of relay 1, the second value determines the state of relay 2, etc.  If there are fewer than 8 values in the list,
   -- the remaining relays' states will be unaltered.  If there are more than 8 values in the list, the extras are ignored.
   -- if 'missing value' is encountered or if a value cannot be coerced to a boolean, the corresponding relay's state is left unaltered.
   local fullErrMsg
   local stateCount

try
      set newStates to newStates as list
      set fullErrMsg to (errMsg & " (" & errNum as text) & ")." -- for debugging purposes
      return
   end try

if newStates is {} then return

set stateCount to the count of newStates
   if stateCount > 8 then set stateCount to 8

repeat with i from 1 to stateCount
      set thisState to item i of newStates
      if thisState is not missing value then
         try
            my setRelayState(i, thisState as boolean)
            set fullErrMsg to (errMsg & " (" & errNum as text) & ")." -- for debugging purposes
         end try
      end if
   end repeat
end setRelayStates

on setRelayStatesOn()
   -- set the states of all 8 relays to on (energized) simultaneously
   my setRelayState(9, true)
end setRelayStatesOn

on setRelayStatesOff()
   -- set the states of all 8 relays to off (not energized) simultaneously
   my setRelayState(9, false)
end setRelayStatesOff

on getRelayStates()
   -- return a list of 8 boolean values corresponding to the current states of relays 1-8
   local retVal

-- default return value in case of comm failure
   set retVal to missing value

try
      set theResult1 to doShellScript({"curl --connect-timeout", relayBoardTimeOut, relayBoardURL})

set {TID, AppleScript's text item delimiters} to {AppleScript's text item delimiters, {"img src=\"", ".jpg"}}
      set bs to the text items of theResult1
      set retList to {}
      repeat with i from 1 to 8
         set the end of retList to ((text item (i * 2) of theResult1) is "lighton")
      end repeat
      return retList
      set fullErrMsg to (errMsg & " (" & errNum as text) & ")." -- for degugging purposes
   end try
   return retVal
end getRelayStates

on pulseRelayState(relayNumber, delaySeconds)
   -- pulse the energized state of the specified relay (the first relay is 1).  "Pulse" means to energize the relay, then after a delay, de-energize it
   -- delaySeconds can be any floating point value greater than zero.  If delaySeconds is missing value or <= 0, the command is ignored.
   -- this handler executes the delay in software (not dependent on the relay board's pulse delay settings), and returns only after completion
   local fullErrMsg

try
      if delaySeconds is missing value or (delaySeconds as number) ≤ 0.0 then
         return
      end if
      set theResult to doShellScript({"curl --connect-timeout", relayBoardTimeOut, "--data", "saida" & (relayNumber as text) & "on=on", relayBoardURL, ";sleep", ((delaySeconds as number) as text), ";", "curl --connect-timeout", relayBoardTimeOut, "--data", "saida" & (relayNumber as text) & "off=off", relayBoardURL})
      set fullErrMsg to (errMsg & " (" & errNum as text) & ")." -- for debugging purposes only
   end try
end pulseRelayState

on pulseRelayStateNoWait(relayNumber)
   -- pulse the energized state of the specified relay (the first relay is 1) and return immediately; do not wait for the completion of the pulse cycle
   -- "Pulse" means to energize the relay, then after a delay, de-energize it; the ERB's on-board pulse function is used, and the pulse delay will
   -- be as configured for the specified relay.

local fullErrMsg

try
      -- use the relay board's built-in pulse command, causing the specified relay to pulse for the number of seconds set on the "Switch Configuration" page (min = 1 sec)
      set relayCommand to "pluse" -- the word "pulse" is misspelled in the firmware
      set theResult to doShellScript({"curl --connect-timeout", relayBoardTimeOut, "--data", "saida" & (relayNumber as text) & relayCommand & "=" & relayCommand, relayBoardURL})
      set fullErrMsg to (errMsg & " (" & errNum as text) & ")." -- for debugging purposes only
   end try
end pulseRelayStateNoWait

on doShellScript(parmList)
   local retVal, theCommand, TID, errMsg, errNum, testMode

try
      set retVal to ""
      set {TID, AppleScript's text item delimiters} to {AppleScript's text item delimiters, " "}
      set theCommand to parmList as text

set retVal to do shell script theCommand
      set retVal to (errMsg & " (" & errNum as text) & ")."
   end try
   return retVal
end doShellScript

Posted on
Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:58 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

Re: Ethernet Relay Board -- Works Great!

What exactly do you use this board and your script for in HA?

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:12 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Great find – thanks for the information and AppleScript.

Maybe at some point someone will write an Indigo plugin for these. Looks like it would be pretty straightforward. :wink:

Posted on
Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:38 pm
raneil offline

Colorado4Wheeler wrote:
What exactly do you use this board and your script for in HA?

raneil wrote:
Currently, I'm using one ERB to control a haked Hunter Ceiling Fan remote that I also bought on eBay. This allows us to control our living room ceiling fan and light (including the reverse function!) using our Harmony Elite remote (via Remote Buddy).

I'm using a 2nd ERB in a modified/updated version of our Vehicle Remote Start feature with Indigo. This one turned out to be a VERY long and somewhat humorous saga. Another post about that later...

Basically, I use them to allow Indigo to control otherwise unsupported hardware via that hardware's native remote control. Typically, I'll hack the other device's remote control and wire the ERB's relays in parallel with the remote's switches. That way, each time the corresponding relay is pulsed on then off, it simulates a button press on the remote. For years now, I've been using this trick to allow Indigo to Remote Start my vehicle (nearly) every day. More recently, I did the same with an old Hunter Ceiling fan remote.

But then I bought a new car. And while attempting to hack the new remote, I managed to irreparably damage the circuit board. Oops. These new remotes are much more difficult to crack open. So, I used the ERB to instead activate a couple of solenoids, which are connected to make-shift mechanical levers, which press the appropriate buttons on a replacement remote which is zip-tied to an old piece of scrap plywood. And much to my surprise, it works! So now, Indigo can start the new car, just like the old one, albeit using a very different mechanism. The whole mess was cobbled together in an afternoon with whatever parts I had laying around in the garage at the time. It looks like a defective Rube Goldberg Machine slapped together by a drunken blind man. It was supposed to be Prototype -- a proof of concept, if you will. Except, it works perfectly despite it's ghastly appearance. So I decided to use it "as is" and see how long it lasts. That was 3 months ago, and it's still going strong!

So now, rather than cleaning it up and "doing it properly", I'm getting a huge kick out of seeing how long The Contraption (as I've taken to calling it) will survive in it's current state. So far, so good! Like Dr. Frankenstein, I'm fascinated to see how long my creation will survive on it's own. :shock:

Posted on
Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:19 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

I can't tell you how many times I have considered building a device to push car remote buttons :).

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:30 pm
raneil offline

matt (support) wrote:
Great find – thanks for the information and AppleScript.

Maybe at some point someone will write an Indigo plugin for these. Looks like it would be pretty straightforward. :wink:

Agreed -- that would be great. Any volunteers? :mrgreen:

Posted on
Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:37 pm
raneil offline

Colorado4Wheeler wrote:
I can't tell you how many times I have considered building a device to push car remote buttons :).

Go for it! I'm living proof you don't need to be very smart or talented. Surely you've got some old plywood, a few zip ties, some bailing wire and duct tape laying around, right? That and a few solenoids is all you need.

Be sure to post pictures. We'll have an "Ugliest Contraption" contest. :D

Posted on
Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:55 am
webdeck offline

I would love to be able to figure out how to use the inputs on this board, so that I can ditch my flaky EZIO6I that I use for integrating my alarm. That's my last powerline-only device and Indigo misses commands whenever there is powerline noise or other Insteon devices transmitting at the same time...

Posted on
Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:53 am
johnpolasek offline

Have you ever considered using an rPi 3 and Karl's piBeacon plugin? I originally got one to use for presence detection running the plugin, but since I had 20 magnetic window and door switches that had been installed when the house was built but never attached to an alarm system, I wired it to the rPi and now Indigo IS my security system for under $60...

Posted on
Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:03 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

There are a couple of plugins for I/O board alternatives. I was hoping someone would write one for the ControlByWeb boards, but I've not heard any progress on that.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:24 am
howartp offline

jay (support) wrote:
I was hoping someone would write one for the ControlByWeb boards, but I've not heard any progress on that.

Once my Lock and Scene plugins are stable (which will be a good month yet) I can probably look at that - Ive got a ControlByWeb somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:48 pm
zaiks offline

In the light of waning usage of AppleScript I would very much appreciate if someone could help me translating this script to python. I personally dont use all the possibilities of this, but queing the states of relay (preferrably as list), setting up states (as list) and pulsing relays are cruicial.

I do understand a little about python, but AppleScript is something I don't, therefore its hard to understand how or witch part is communicating with the relay to start with

Posted on
Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:20 am
kw123 offline

e ControlByWeb board...
.. they look very professional, but VERY expensive ($100+ one unit) and only ETHERNET cable and no wifi connection.

Posted on
Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:13 am
Different Computers offline

This board looks like just what I need to control two ceiling fan/lights that only operate by RF remote. I can take the old remotes whose buttons had worn, jumper the contacts and have both fans working remotely for $50! I was afraid it would cost lots more than that.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:44 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

zaiks wrote:
In the light of waning usage of AppleScript I would very much appreciate if someone could help me translating this script to python. I personally dont use all the possibilities of this, but queing the states of relay (preferrably as list), setting up states (as list) and pulsing relays are cruicial.

I do understand a little about python, but AppleScript is something I don't, therefore its hard to understand how or witch part is communicating with the relay to start with

From an Indigo standpoint, you don't need to convert it since the script doesn't target Indigo. How are you calling the script?

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn