Newbie questions

Posted on
Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:38 am
Japple55 offline

Newbie questions

Dave,
I've set up a Weather device for my location (autoip) and I am getting a temperature readout on it. (cumulus key) Also have a 10 day forecast device with a geen light. But I don't see anything listed in the Device Details windows. Also, when I tried to run the "speech" code you posted in my Trane Thermostat thread, I'm getting an error "key alert (xxx) not found in dict". So I'm thinking I've not got variables set up but I can't figure out how to do that. What did I miss?

(Indigo7/plugin 1.0.05)

Posted on
Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:20 am
DaveL17 offline

Re: Newbie questions

Japple55 wrote:
Dave,
I've set up a Weather device for my location (autoip) and I am getting a temperature readout on it. (cumulus key) Also have a 10 day forecast device with a geen light. But I don't see anything listed in the Device Details windows. Also, when I tried to run the "speech" code you posted in my Trane Thermostat thread, I'm getting an error "key alert (xxx) not found in dict". So I'm thinking I've not got variables set up but I can't figure out how to do that. What did I miss?

(Indigo7/plugin 1.0.05)

Thanks for trying out the WUnderground plugin--sounds like you're on your way. What you're seeing is intended behavior. There's no state shown in the device details window for 10 Day Forecast devices (IIRC, only the Weather device displays a state in the device details window).

Regarding the speech code, you're going to have to adapt it for your Thermostat application. The code in that thread is designed to read WUnderground weather data. You'll have to adjust the script for your thermostat device specifically.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:33 am
Japple55 offline

I guess I wasn't clear. I do have a Weather device set up and there are no details displayed in that device window either. And the python script I ran was your script written for WU. I set the device ID for the Weather device and tried to run it for WU data. I wasn't attempting to use my own thermostat data.

Posted on
Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:53 am
DaveL17 offline

Japple55 wrote:
I guess I wasn't clear. I do have a Weather device set up and there are no details displayed in that device window either. And the python script I ran was your script written for WU. I set the device ID for the Weather device and tried to run it for WU data. I wasn't attempting to use my own thermostat data.

It takes a little while for the first data to come through. When the plugin is working properly, the device details window should look something like this:

Screen Shot 2017-01-15 at 9.48.30 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-01-15 at 9.48.30 AM.png (18.97 KiB) Viewed 5472 times

That might be the same condition with the script. Let's see if it settles in. (Note that I have four WU weather device locations.)

Posted on
Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:41 am
Japple55 offline

Thanks Dave. When I came back to it, it had indeed populated the device details window. Thinking all was well, I deleted the second Weather device I had test it with, and then all went away in the remaining two devices. I will leave it for a few hours and see if it stabilizes.

Posted on
Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:53 pm
DaveL17 offline

Sounds like things are working as expected. If you look at the custom states for your remaining devices, your data should be there.

Posted on
Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:56 pm
Japple55 offline

Nope, just checked and the device details windows are empty on all devices.

Posted on
Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:26 pm
DaveL17 offline

Japple55 wrote:
Nope, just checked and the device details windows are empty on all devices.

Do you mean that you're seeing nothing populated under the Device Details pane at the bottom of the device list?

Screen Shot 2017-01-15 at 4.22.03 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-01-15 at 4.22.03 PM.png (17.63 KiB) Viewed 5372 times

The plugin never shows information (except for the Last Update) in that panel. If you scroll down in that part of the window, you'll see the Custom Device States panel where all of the device data is stored:

Screen Shot 2017-01-15 at 4.25.25 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-01-15 at 4.25.25 PM.png (30.35 KiB) Viewed 5372 times

Posted on
Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:52 pm
Japple55 offline

Correct. The only thing displayed is the last update time. I am not able to scroll in that window. There is nothing else there.

Update: Okay, this is strange. I reactivated my Prism because I couldn't connect and I can see the device states for the WU devices in the Indigo Touch app. But still can't scroll that window in the desktop UI. I've restarted the server several times.

Update#2: The device states FINALLY populated after some period of time. (I'm guessing the server restart helped). I deleted the extra Weather device I had and, again, the custom states disappeared again from all devices. I restarted the server again and will wait to see if they eventually populate again, and if so, I should be set. Fingers crossed.

Posted on
Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:40 pm
DaveL17 offline

Japple55 wrote:
Correct. The only thing displayed is the last update time. I am not able to scroll in that window. There is nothing else there.

Update: Okay, this is strange. I reactivated my Prism because I couldn't connect and I can see the device states for the WU devices in the Indigo Touch app. But still can't scroll that window in the desktop UI. I've restarted the server several times.

Update#2: The device states FINALLY populated after some period of time. (I'm guessing the server restart helped). I deleted the extra Weather device I had and, again, the custom states disappeared again from all devices. I restarted the server again and will wait to see if they eventually populate again, and if so, I should be set. Fingers crossed.

I truly have no idea why you're seeing that behavior. Deleting a weather device should have no impact on other plugin devices, or on the Indigo UI.

Posted on
Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:54 am
Japple55 offline

Dave,
ALL GOOD NOW, YAY!

Was about to give up and just use NOAA plugin when I stumbled upon this little tidbit of yours that really humbled me because I had forgotten it:

"What you are looking for are "Custom Device States" which are common for devices that are created with plugins. In the main Indigo device window, towards the bottom, you have a "Device Details" box. Your custom device states are right below that, only you can't see them due to the fact that the OS X scroll bar is most likely hidden from you. You can either "grab" the small circle and drag that portion of the window higher, or scroll in that area to expose the custom states. "

I dragged the window up and there were all custom device states. :oops: I then worked on your script and found the state names did not match the ones in your script. Edited those and the script runs fine. :D

I apologize for all the hassle when this was just user error. One concern about WU vs NOAA: do they often change/break things? I would agree with Indigo's point that NOAA "could" be a more stable choice; we know the guvment NEVER changes :wink:

Thanks again,
Jim

Posted on
Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:01 am
DaveL17 offline

Japple55 wrote:
Dave,
ALL GOOD NOW, YAY!

Was about to give up and just use NOAA plugin when I stumbled upon this little tidbit of yours that really humbled me because I had forgotten it:

"What you are looking for are "Custom Device States" which are common for devices that are created with plugins. In the main Indigo device window, towards the bottom, you have a "Device Details" box. Your custom device states are right below that, only you can't see them due to the fact that the OS X scroll bar is most likely hidden from you. You can either "grab" the small circle and drag that portion of the window higher, or scroll in that area to expose the custom states. "

I dragged the window up and there were all custom device states. :oops: I then worked on your script and found the state names did not match the ones in your script. Edited those and the script runs fine. :D

I apologize for all the hassle when this was just user error. One concern about WU vs NOAA: do they often change/break things? I would agree with Indigo's point that NOAA "could" be a more stable choice; we know the guvment NEVER changes :wink:

Thanks again,
Jim

Hey that's good news. Not sure why Apple thought it was a good idea to do away with scroll bars, but you're definitely not alone in this! When Apple did this, I went back in and turned them back on. :D

Regarding the script - thanks for the head's up on the states not matching up. I'll correct that now. Regarding stability - until recently, WU had been very solid with the information they've provided. However, there's been some gremlins in the API (mainly with respect to almanac data in my experience) which WU acknowledge and say that they will fix "early in the new year if we can get around to it."

Posted on
Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:04 am
Japple55 offline

Thanks Dave. How did you turn back on scroll bars?

Posted on
Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:28 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

In the General System Preference there's a Show scroll bars option.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:32 am
Japple55 offline

Well, I'll be...! Did not know that (first Mac). Thanks Jay!