Doorbell in HomeKit

Posted on
Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:57 am
haavarda offline

Doorbell in HomeKit

I found something very exiting when it comes to doorbells and HomeKit today. It seams as I can get a rich notification with a picture from my door camera if someone is at the door.
I have a fibaro sensor at the door and a web camera so this should be possible...? Is this possible to do with HBB?

https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2016/710/

So now, for example, if you have a doorbell, a door lock, and a camera which are all configured by the user to be part of a room, maybe the user called the room an entryway, HomeKit will automatically associate services from these different accessories, and they can provide contact-sensitive controls to the user. This enables for some magical experiences like rich notifications.

So, for example, now here, when the doorbell rings, HomeKit will automatically take a snapshot from the camera, and the user is presented with a rich notification.

Håvard

Posted on
Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:18 am
blysik offline

Re: Doorbell in HomeKit

I'm excited by this possibility also. However, right now, homebridge-indigo can't expose a motion sensor to homekit.

Posted on
Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:37 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

haavarda wrote:
Is this possible to do with HBB?

I could absolutely replicate the behavior up to the rich notification part of it. HB and HB-Indigo have to support the feature to have it give you that kind of notification.

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:50 am
blysik offline

Yeah, the rich notification is the interesting bit. Motion sensor + snapshot a camera + iMessage the picture to you is easily done in just Indigo. I really want to see how HomeKit presents that rich notification.

Posted on
Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:55 pm
Different Computers offline

Isn't it possible to have a motion sensor work with HomeKit with "treat as switch" in the config file?

Sonoma on a Mac Mini M1 running Airfoil Pro, Bond Home, Camect, Roku Network Remote, Hue Lights, DomoPad, Adapters, Home Assistant Agent, HomeKitLinkSiri, EPS Smart Dimmer, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Grafana. UnifiAP

Posted on
Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:06 pm
blysik offline

But then to HomeKit it's a switch, so it won't trigger the rich notification stuff.

Posted on
Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:23 am
haavarda offline

I think this might be possible.
If I set up a sensor in HBB and add the plugin below. I think it is possible to set up an automation in homekit that enables the doorbell if the sensor is activated.
Is there a guide on how to install homebridge plugins properly? Or is it possible to add the plugin below in HBB?

https://github.com/Samfox2/homebridge-doorbell

Håvard

Posted on
Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:02 am
webdeck offline

haavarda wrote:
I think this might be possible.
If I set up a sensor in HBB and add the plugin below. I think it is possible to set up an automation in homekit that enables the doorbell if the sensor is activated.
Is there a guide on how to install homebridge plugins properly? Or is it possible to add the plugin below in HBB?

https://github.com/Samfox2/homebridge-doorbell

That doorbell plugin doesn't actually do anything, according to its readme. The latest homebridge-indigo and latest Homebridge Buddy plugin support sensors.

Be aware that a lot of people are reporting that they are experiencing server hangs with the latest Homebridge Buddy plugin.

Posted on
Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:29 am
haavarda offline

The developer has this info that I found interesting:

Currently the plugin only emulates the doorbell with the identify command. If placed in a room with a camera it sends a notification with a snapshot/stream to your ios device after pushing the "identify" button in a homekit app.

So if I have a sensor added to homebride, I should be able to set up an automation scenario where it pushes the doorbell if the sensor is tripped.
Or am I missing something?

Håvard

Page 1 of 1