AppleScript "Application isn't running" (-600) Errors

Posted on
Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:07 am
mediabox offline

Re: AppleScript "Application isn't running" (-600) Errors

Take that back. I've rebooted a few times and not working again.... arrg.

Posted on
Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:24 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Did you try this line in the Terminal?

Code: Select all
sudo killall -9 appleeventsd

Note you'll have to enter your macOS admin password.

Posted on
Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:33 pm
mediabox offline

Thx Matt. Tried that and originally thought that worked. Unfortunately I was mistaken, after about 30x of trying to revive it I gave up and began restarting Indigo and the Mac. Seems restarting Indigo was sufficient.

I wound up going a little overboard and created an Linux init.d type start/stop/chkstart indigo bash script that can stop, start, restarts Indigo until it's happy. It includes a check option, chkstart, designed to detect if Indigo is running slow/stalled. I've seen this with one of my embedded applescripts that invoke the "say" utility. Script is super simple does this
set say_string to value of variable "say_string"

say say_string

When in a stalled/slow state, the chkstart option which I have run every 2 minutes via launchctl, restart Indigo.

Seems there are a few work-arounds posted here. Mine is hands-off and keeps running in the background and restarts if anything doesn't look right. If anyone is interested I can post it.

Posted on
Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:53 am
OjisanSeiuchi offline

Whatever the cause of this bug, I've been fighting it too. In my case, nothing seems to work...killing the Apple Events Server, restarting the Indigo Server, rebooting the Mac, yelling expletives at the screen, etc.

Personally, I'm just migrating to Python scripting via the plugin host. Honestly, the object model is easier to deal with than via AppleScript. And dealing with the fragility of automating workarounds just seems like a "long run for a short slide."

For those who are wondering about future of AppleScript, it has been rumoured to be on the chopping block for a long while, but always seems to keep going usually with minimal development between releases. Yet, with the recent dismantling of the Apple automation team and Sal Saghoian's departure from Apple, the loss of AppleScript seems more imminent. Craig Federighi gave a pretty lukewarm response when questioned about the future of Mac automation and the Mac itself hasn't been getting the same love and attention since the iPhone cash cow came on the scene.

Posted on
Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:52 am
McJohn offline

The strange thing is that all other external scripts are working perfectly (for example an Action with Indigo to do an external SecuritySpy script).
Only the external scripts which are doing an Indigo call are giving this error.
The solution is:
- working with internal scripts (but these gives a speed impact of the Indigo Server)
- Python scripts (this is a lot more difficult for standard Indigo users)

Posted on
Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:12 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

McJohn wrote:
- Python scripts (this is a lot more difficult for standard Indigo users)

Um, that's not really our experience. Just say'n... :roll:

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:50 pm
captcurrent offline

having 10 plus years in apple script no having fun with python but I see your point about the mothership and automatio

Posted on
Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:14 am
macpro offline

I think I've found a workaround to start Indigo without the -600 errors.

I disabled starting the Indigo Server when starting the Indigo Client.
I disabled starting the Indigo Client when the user logs in to the Mac.

Whenever I restart the Mac, I wait a little while for all the login items to start.
Then I locatie the IndigoServer app in the Finder and start it via a double click.

Using this method on the last 3 reboots Indigo started without any scripts giving the -600 message.

Posted on
Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:20 pm
ttscoff offline

matt (support) wrote:
Did you try this line in the Terminal?

sudo killall -9 appleeventsd

Note you'll have to enter your macOS admin password.

For the record, this actually did the trick on my machine running Yosemite. At least for this boot cycle…

The -600 issue had gone away after a few restarts and I didn't experience it again until I updated to 7.1.x from 7.0. Then it started up again and no amount of server restarts would fix it. Forcing the cycle of appleeventsd seems to have done it, though.

Posted on
Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:07 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

We've posted a new example that shows how to directly communicate with AppleScript to Indigo's python scripting engine. So there are two ways to communicate from an external AppleScript (or another app running an external AppleScript): RESTful Web API calls and direct Indigo python scripting engine calls. The former requires Indigo's Web server be enabled and the username/password embedded in the AppleScript, the latter doesn't but can be slower so isn't recommended if lots of calls have to be made back-to-back.

Posted on
Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:23 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

We have created a consolidated wiki page that discusses various strategies for integrating AppleScript with Indigo and we highly recommend that you read through those options. That wiki page is in the developer section which means that anyone with write access to that section of the wiki can add things as well as new integration methods come up.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn