ZWave Lock Manager

Posted on
Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:20 pm
howartp offline

Re: ZWave Lock Manager

Thanks Joe.

Yes, some of the locks support time-based scheduling of the PINs but designing a UI for it when Indigo already has one is not high on my priority list.

v1.0.26 should be out this evening which ignores non-lock devices, and adds support for newer locks that use Notification class v3, instead of Alarm class v1/2.

I'm about to read up on plugin storage/preferences because that will be my next steps with the plugin.

PS - I can't "enable/disable" a PIN without clearing/setting it, which is already provided. There's no support or commands for that in any (? most ?) locks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:22 pm
FlyingDiver offline

howartp wrote:
PS - I can't "enable/disable" a PIN without clearing/setting it, which is already provided. There's no support or commands for that in any (? most ?) locks.

What I meant is that once you have user/PIN storage in the plugin, you can "disable" a user by clearing the PIN, then "enable" that user by setting it to the stored PIN value. Adding or removing the user/PIN to/from storage would be different operations. It's a level of abstraction above what the lock itself can do.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:32 pm
clawmd offline

I need to be able to set PIN #s with an enable and disable date/time. I sometimes enter twenty of these at a time. I am trying to figure out the most efficient way of doing this.
Manually setting up a schedule to add and delete the PIN is painful because the interface isn't really designed to do this quickly. Might also be more prone to error since the create and delete dates are in different dialogs.
Sending the data in a variable that could be parsed into variables might be another route.

Any ideas on the best direction to head?

Posted on
Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:34 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Create an action group that changes the PINs, then schedule that group when needed?

It's not clear from your description what exactly you're changing, and how often. Does the time change? The list of users? The PINs for each user?

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:01 pm
howartp offline

FlyingDiver wrote:
What I meant is that once you have user/PIN storage in the plugin, you can "disable" a user by clearing the PIN, then "enable" that user by setting it to the stored PIN value. Adding or removing the user/PIN to/from storage would be different operations. It's a level of abstraction above what the lock itself can do.

True. :)

v1.0.28 released.

Posted on
Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:39 pm
clawmd offline

I have renters that stay from 1 week to a month. For each guest, I enter a PIN that becomes active just before they are scheduled to arrive and is disabled a few hrs after they leave. Every guest has a unique PIN. I currently enter a name, PIN, start date/time, end date/time and hit Submit. It is a very fast process and easy to manage since all the information is available in a single view. This goes well beyond the usual scenario where the home owner only needs to program a few PINS and rarely makes a change.

My plan is to see if there is a way to accomplish this task with Indigo. If not, I might be able to get this functionality with a different controller or system that is designed for rental properties

Posted on
Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:05 pm
howartp offline

As you say, this is a rare circumstance compared to most home owners.

But, let me think about it whilst I'm thinking about the user management part of the plugin.

Peter

Posted on
Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:13 pm
FlyingDiver offline

clawmd wrote:
I have renters that stay from 1 week to a month. For each guest, I enter a PIN that becomes active just before they are scheduled to arrive and is disabled a few hrs after they leave. Every guest has a unique PIN. I currently enter a name, PIN, start date/time, end date/time and hit Submit. It is a very fast process and easy to manage since all the information is available in a single view. This goes well beyond the usual scenario where the home owner only needs to program a few PINS and rarely makes a change.

My plan is to see if there is a way to accomplish this task with Indigo. If not, I might be able to get this functionality with a different controller or system that is designed for rental properties

What application are you doing this with now?

Seems to me that a Python script, run on an hourly schedule, that reads from a text file (csv or similar) could do this fairly easily. Assuming you can write Python, that is.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:18 pm
howartp offline

I just read the Yale Touchscreen manual, and it doesn't support time schedules, so your Vera must be doing the scheduling itself?

If so, you will be able to use the user database facility I'm designing without me needing to do anything with scheduling / timing.

(Even the locks which do have scheduling in are usually repeating inbuilt schedules such as "every Monday from 10am for 2 hours" for a cleaner, not dated schedules such as "Monday 25th December @ 9am until Friday 29th December @ 3pm".)

Peter

Posted on
Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:43 pm
clawmd offline

I suspected the scheduling was done via the plugin for Vera. The worst case scenario would be to use an old Vera with Ui5 only for lock mgmt. There are other options. Resortlock is self contained, no internet or network. You enter the dates and times on their website and it gives a PIN that will work only for that time period. It is done through an algorithm that is specific to that lock. The problem is that the PIN will not be as easy to remember as one the guest selects.

Thanks for your effort on this plugin

Chuck

Posted on
Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:07 pm
hensed offline

Capture user numbers in script

Hi!!

I have been using your plugin and it's 2 kinds of awesome. I wanted to find out if it was possible to capture the user number, so that I can write a script to store it in a variable? Both the door lock (BE469) and your plugin report the user in the log, but there is no device state for user number.

Posted on
Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:32 am
howartp offline

Hi!

What is the ultimate reason for capturing this; it might be better for me to approach it differently.

Peter

Posted on
Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:59 am
johnpolasek offline

howartp wrote:
Hi!

What is the ultimate reason for capturing this; it might be better for me to approach it differently.

Peter

Just knowing if the door was opened by the dog walker or the Pest control guy without having to open up the log and wade back through it, I've already got a list of valid PiBeacons present showing on the control page, so I know who's home, but if it's somebody that I gave a code to, I'd like to know which somebody it is.

Posted on
Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:13 am
eme jota ce offline

FlyingDiver wrote:
clawmd wrote:
Feature Request PIN activation/deactivation interval
With the Vera UI, it is possible to define a start and end date/time for the PIN. This is really useful for rentals for obvious reasons. Could also be useful at home to provide a limited window of access without having to remember to deactivate it. I am guessing that this could all be done manually with a schedule, but it would be somewhat clumsy to use. I don't know enough about plugin scripting to know if this is a reasonable feature to request or not. Perhaps there is another way to solve this that I haven't thought of.

Putting this in the plugin would, IMO, complicate the plugin needlessly. This is the kind of thing that Indigo schedules are explicitly designed for. One schedule to enable the PIN, another to disable it. OTOH, an enhancement to the plugin to actually enable/disable users/PINs. would be useful, so that the PIN numbers aren't in the scheduled events. I think the author is planning on adding a user/PIN database to the plugin, so once that's in place it's pretty straightforward. But the time-based processing? I think that's redundant.

I can't speak to the degree to which adding this function would complicate the plugin but believe your assessment, and Howartp's contribution to this community with the plugin is greatly appreciated,

To me, as a fellow SWFL resident, adding the time/date parameters to a PIN within the lock itself is a convenient and important redundancy. As stable as Indigo has been, the SWFL power grid and lightning strikes have caused some HA failures. Embedding the PIN's time schedule into the lock allows, e.g. cleaning service, to enter even if Indigo goes down and the sysop isn't around to reboot or otherwise fix the Indigo server.

Clawmd: Indigo can add the PIN's time schedule to a (Kwikset (and maybe other brand)) lock using raw z-wave commands. Look at the online manual linked around page three of this thread. Using an online decimal to hex converter, you'll be able to have indigo send the commands to a lock. For example, sending the command, below enables User 3's Pin on Friday between 10:30am and 2:00pm. (you can just save a few of the most likely time schedules as Action groups in Indigo, then send to the lock of your choice).

Code: Select all
78 3 1 3 6 5 10 00 14 30

Posted on
Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:20 am
FlyingDiver offline

eme jota ce wrote:
To me, as a fellow SWFL resident, adding the time/date parameters to a PIN within the lock itself is a convenient and important redundancy. As stable as Indigo has been, the SWFL power grid and lightning strikes have caused some HA failures. Embedding the PIN's time schedule into the lock allows, e.g. cleaning service, to enter even if Indigo goes down and the sysop isn't around to reboot or otherwise fix the Indigo server.

Just to be clear - I was talking about having Indigo (ie the plugin) do the time&date based activation and deactivation of the PINs. I was not talking about any capability for setting a lock's internal parameters. Setting the lock parameters is certainly within the scope of the Lock Manager plugin.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)