When is the next release of Indigo Touch?

Posted on
Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:20 am
ryanbuckner offline

When is the next release of Indigo Touch?

I'm getting errors that pop up from IOS10 that Indigo Touch needs to be updated for performance by the developer.

Indigo Support Update: We are locking this thread and have posted here an official update on the next version of Indigo Touch.

Posted on
Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:31 am
durosity offline

Re: When is the next release of Indigo Touch?

Don't worry about that message, it's apple scaremongering! The devs will publish updates in the future but as it stands right now the app works fine regardless of the message.

Computer says no.

Posted on
Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:23 am
DaveL17 offline

And it doesn't slow down your iPhone. At all.

I think the notice (if there has to be one) should say that the app doesn't take advantage of all the speed that your iPhone has to offer.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:45 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

DaveL17 wrote:
I think the notice (if there has to be one) should say that the app doesn't take advantage of all the speed that your iPhone has to offer.

Which, I believe, is also incorrect. The only difference should be that Indigo Touch (being a 32-bit app) can't address as much memory as a 64-bit app. And, well, IT is not a memory intensive app. So, yes, Apple is using this tactic to force developers to update to 64-bit. For most, it's an easy compile switch. For us, it's not because of some shared libraries we use. We will definitely to it, but it's not really a problem other than Apple's scary message (which, BTW, should only show once when IT is launched for the first time on a minor or major OS release: 10.1, 10.2, etc).

[EDIT] there's some anecdotal evidence that compute intensive apps do gain a small measure of speed. IT, however, is not compute intensive, and is mostly bound by network communication speed which is not improved by 64-bit.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:03 am
durosity offline

I've had it periodically pop up even with no updates being installed. I'm guessing it's like the rate app box that pops up from time to time.

Computer says no.

Posted on
Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:07 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

durosity wrote:
I've had it periodically pop up even with no updates being installed. I'm guessing it's like the rate app box that pops up from time to time.

Haven't seen that yet, but honestly it doesn't surprise me (unfortunately). Apple has lost its way (my personal belief)...

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:09 am
durosity offline

I kinda agree with you. I still find them better than the alternatives but it's not quite the same as it was. I've been using a Mac since I was 9.. I've ran a reseller/repair business based around them.. I've even worked for them (non retail).. and it just doesn't feel quite... right anymore. :/

Computer says no.

Posted on
Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:50 pm
RogueProeliator offline

So, yes, Apple is using this tactic to force developers to update to 64-bit.

It wouldn't surprise me if their real goal is to get all applications moved to 64-bit in order to eliminate some legacy compilations or API or something behind-the-scenes. They just aren't quite brash enough to drop it completely. Kind of like Microsoft worked to get applications to 64-bit and off the WoW32 environment.

Adam

Posted on
Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:09 pm
durosity offline

RogueProeliator wrote:
Kind of like Microsoft worked to get applications to 64-bit and off the WoW32 environment.

You mean "worked".. 10 years on more than 50% of the apps on my PC at work are still 32 bit. :/

Computer says no.

Posted on
Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:39 pm
RogueProeliator offline

You mean "worked".. 10 years on more than 50% of the apps on my PC at work are still 32 bit. :/

So is their own compiler! To be fair, that is so that it could more easily target 32-bit environments, or so they say. They "worked" to get them off, didn't say they "had" gotten them off.

Posted on
Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:16 pm
durosity offline

True! I suppose for many developers there's no real incentive to rewrite things that work perfectly fine as they are. I can totally see the benefit for math programs, graphic design systems etc.. but at the end of the day Solitaire ain't gonna be any better than it's glorious 16-bit iteration!

Computer says no.

Posted on
Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:59 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

RogueProeliator wrote:
It wouldn't surprise me if their real goal is to get all applications moved to 64-bit in order to eliminate some legacy compilations or API or something behind-the-scenes.

This is yet another way to pressure developers to move to more recent SDKs. Apple's iOS strategy relies on customers replacing their iOS hardware every few years, so it's not in their best interest for developers to maintain backwards compatibility for too long, otherwise consumers might upgrade their hardware more slowly.

Again, IMO.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:19 pm
ryanbuckner offline

To reel this conversation back away from Apple, when is my IT going to be updated as frequently as any other app on my phone?

<loaded question> now that I'm paying yearly, shouldn't I expect small agile incremental releases of new features often? </loaded question>

Posted on
Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:49 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Yes, with the subscription model the plan is more frequent releases. Not sure if it will match the "App Average" you have, but we can do better than the every several years interval we've been on. :roll:

Posted on
Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:41 pm
ryanbuckner offline

Thanks Matt!