iOS 10.1 32-bit error warning! This needs to be fixed ASAP

Posted on
Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:11 pm
spiv offline

iOS 10.1 32-bit error warning! This needs to be fixed ASAP

With iOS 10.1, Apple has turned back on the big on-screen warning about 32-bit apps that have not been updated. (It was on during the beta, but they turned it off with the initial 10.0 release).

This "in your face" warning looks really bad and will scare the heck out of some of my clients.

I know this isn't on Indigo's roadmap, but this really needs a quick fix - it makes Indigo Touch look very unprofessional and not to be trusted.
Attachments
IMG_5917.jpg
IMG_5917.jpg (164.02 KiB) Viewed 6011 times

Posted on
Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:05 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: iOS 10.1 32-bit error warning! This needs to be fixed A

No way we can get a rev of Indigo Touch done before Indigo 7 ships. It is *much* more involved than just a rebuild and submitting it. We will, of course, get a new build out as soon as we can.

Note the warning only shows on the initial launch of Indigo Touch after the iOS update. It doesn't show on subsequent launches.

As an aside, that warning, which intentionally is vague and not 100% accurate, really ticks me off.

Posted on
Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:07 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Yet more Apple strong-arming of developers, again for no appreciable value.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:23 pm
eme jota ce offline

I received the same notice on my iPhone's screen, today, after the iOS update.

Glad to see that it's not a persistent warning and that Matt and Jay are not responding to this thread with an warning not to update to the new iOS, which provides me with inferential comfort that it's not too big of a concern.

Posted on
Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:34 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Yeah, definitely not a concern. It should continue to work fine. And it isn't going to slow down your iPhone.

Posted on
Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:48 pm
durosity offline

I wonder what benefit this message is going to have to apple. All it's going to do is cause more calls to their call centres (who of course can't do anything about it) and just cause developers extra effort for little reward.

If it's been a message stating "this app has not been updated in 12 months and may not take advantage of the lastest benefits in iOS. Please contact your developer and recommend they update their app" would be more suitable and would possible stop the stagnation of some apps.. like indigo touch 1.6 ;)

Computer says no.

Posted on
Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:34 pm
spiv offline

This may be a little OT, but I think this type of notification, along with Apple's announced plans to start culling old apps from the App store that don't meet minimum technical requirements, is of most concern to fringe or abandoned apps.

I do think that Indigo will have to embrace, at some point, switching their development methodology from the classic "Waterfall" approach of gigantic mega-releases once very five years (sorry, couldn't resist that!) to the currently widely adopted web services and mobile apps agile development paradigm of rapid incremental development and deployment.

Especially with the software industry moving to subscriptions and rewarding paying customers/subscribers with a constant stream of incremental updates, it will be harder for Indigo to adopt a subscription/maintenance fee pricing model if they only deliver changes once very xxx months or yyy years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waterfall_model

Posted on
Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:39 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

You mean like this? :wink:

In a small company, development methodologies have very little to do with it. Take it from a former VP of Engineering at a hosted payment provider.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:40 pm
ds10 offline

Without much insight into development plans and out-of-date messages showing up on our phones, I guess the question is whether to stick with Indigo or move on. In another thread, back in June it was clear this was coming. Here we are months later. Wears some on the confidence in the product.

Posted on
Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:51 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

As is discussed on the thread above:

1) You can safely ignore the warning.
2) Indigo Touch works fine on iOS 10.1 and it will not slow down your iPhone.
3) The warning only shows on the very first launch after the 10.1 install.
4) It is very unfortunate how Apple worded the alert.
5) We said above we would update the app ASAP, but not until after Indigo 7 is shipping. We aren't going to delay shipping v7 by days just to workaround an alert that shows a single time on launch after the iOS update.

I'm not sure how much more insight you want, but that is all we can give. It seems to me that is pretty much everything except for promising dates, which we will not do.

Posted on
Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:26 pm
spiv offline

The Apple 10.3 beta has a new warning - much stricter than earlier. The rumors are all pointing to 32-bit app support being dropped, not just deprecated, in iOS 11.0

If past history is repeated, that means announcement around the time of WWDC 2017 in June and shipment with the next version of iPhones in the early Fall.

Rather than telling us to ignore this and that is is no big thing, It would be much better for Indigo to start working now on a conversion/upgrade of Indigo Touch to be ready for this. Past history of very long upgrade cycle for Indigo Touch and waiting well beyond the initial availability from Apple of new features before adopting them will not be appreciated in this case.

If users upgrade to iOS 11 or buy a new phone (as many will do) that only supports iOS 11, being told Indigo Touch doesn't work and there is no ETA is not going to be a good thing.

This is much worse than just convincing them to ignore a big warning screen.
Attachments
steipete_2017-Jan-31.jpg
steipete_2017-Jan-31.jpg (14.33 KiB) Viewed 5287 times

Posted on
Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:53 pm
durosity offline

They're already on it, Spiv!

When is the next release of Indigo Touch?

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_ ... are_type=t

Computer says no.

Posted on
Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:53 pm
spiv offline

"Better than every several years" is pretty vague ETA.

Posted on
Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:15 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Already discussed. Searching before posting is normally a good thing... 8)

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:20 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Indigo Touch 2.1 has been released.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Page 1 of 1