Electronic bits

Posted on
Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:45 pm
mattggarland offline

Electronic bits

Not a mod, a build!

So I have been working on a few bits for indigo throughout uni, I recently finished my first actually decent thing! It's an LED metrix display, with WiFi built in that communicates with Cynical Network. I use mine as an alarm clock but could have lots of uses. Anyway, it's TINY! All the hardware is 96x32x20 mm (96x32x30 ish with an alarm clock buzzer fitted) and all it needs is a 5V supply to work with.

Some pics attached, it can scroll text too and well, could do loads of things! There's facility to add buttons / sensors if needed.

I have made a few other bits and pieces too, including an Infrared learner / emitter and a touch lamp.

Check the pic's and there's a video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lKCGcpC6HM (The lights are a pure red in real life, the camera doesn't quite get it right. Also, the ethernet cable is just used for programming at the moment, not necessary once I have finished tinkering.

With Matt & Jay's permission, I'd love to offer them for sale / offer any custom indigo hardware anyone might need? :?

What do you guys think?
Attachments
IMG_1525 (1).jpg
IMG_1525 (1).jpg (43.76 KiB) Viewed 5293 times
IMG_1524 (1).jpg
IMG_1524 (1).jpg (51.02 KiB) Viewed 5293 times

Posted on
Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:03 pm
durosity offline

Re: Electronic bits

That's awesome! I'd love one next to my tv to tell me the current sound volume on my AV receiver:D

Computer says no.

Posted on
Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:27 pm
mattggarland offline

Okay. Well I ordered spare boards so I can certainly put one together for you. It still needs (a small amount) of tweaking to the software and I don't have a solution for mounting it yet (mine is blue tacked down to my dressing table).

As I mentioned I use cynical network on the indigo server. I use triggers to monitor and then transmit a variable for sending text so you'd need to set something similar up but I could help.

Genuinely interested? No idea what to charge, I'll add up the cost of them and work out. PM me though if you want one and have an idea what you might wanna pay.

Matt / Jay, this sort of thing okay on the forum / at all?

Posted on
Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:21 pm
durosity offline

Pm sent!

Computer says no.

Posted on
Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:50 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

That is very neat! And yes you definitely have permission to discuss these projects and offer them for sale here.

Posted on
Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:15 pm
Different Computers offline

Do I understand correctly that via Cynical, Indigo can send arbitrary text to this? Variables values?

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:30 pm
DaveL17 offline

That is cool. Nice work! That's a good looking piece of kit.

Dave

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:10 am
mattggarland offline

Yeah, dump text (up to 255 characters) in the variable in indigo and it turns up and then scrolls off the screen. You can also give it a Bitmap to display if you like (found no actual use for this yet though).

Thank's for the comments!

Posted on
Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:12 am
Different Computers offline

VERY cool!

Will the variable loop, or just display once, or is this pref configurable?

And how do I get one?

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:54 am
kw123 offline

Is this a esp 8622. If yes you could use the arduino plugin to send the text via wifi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:39 am
mattggarland offline

Well I can configure it in any way really. I just send multiple requests if I want it to print the same thing twice but could set up to allow multiple displays of a message.

When I get back from work, I'm gonna add things such as a beep notification (a single beep accompanied by an on screen message). Would people use it as a clock when it's not doing anything else typically, or more likely a permanent static text display / blank screen?

To get one, you can order it from me, very soon.

Yes, it's an 8266, i just like cynical network, it doesn't do anything other than what's needed.

Page 1 of 1