iFindStuff - multiple emails [FIXED Updated Version 1.02.04]

Posted on
Mon May 23, 2016 9:56 pm
GlennNZ offline

iFindStuff - multiple emails [FIXED Updated Version 1.02.04]

Hi,

Thanks for iFindStuff - working really well, until...

Today:
Receiving Multiple email alerts from Apple -
"Your Apple ID was used to sign in to iCloud via a web browser."
Typical one that received on startup - but continuing throughout the day.

eg. Your Apple ID was used to sign... Apple <noreply@insideicloud... Today 1:38 PM 19.2 K
Your Apple ID was used to sign... Apple <noreply@insideicloud... Today 1:33 PM 19.5 K
Your Apple ID was used to sign... Apple <noreply@insideicloud... Today 1:28 PM 19.5 K
Your Apple ID was used to sign... Apple <noreply@insideicloud... Today 1:27 PM 19.2 K
Your Apple ID was used to sign... Apple <noreply@insideicloud... Today 1:16 PM 19.5 K
Your Apple ID was used to sign... Apple <noreply@insideicloud... Today 1:06 PM 19.5 K
Your Apple ID was used to sign... Apple <noreply@insideicloud... Today 12:56 PM 19.2 K
Your Apple ID was used to sign... Apple <noreply@insideicloud... Today 12:46 PM 19.5 K
Your Apple ID was used to sign... Apple <noreply@insideicloud... Today 12:35 PM 19.5 K
Your Apple ID was used to sign... Apple <noreply@insideicloud... Today 12:25 PM 19.5 K
Your Apple ID was used to sign... Apple <noreply@insideicloud... Today 12:15 PM 19.5 K
Your Apple ID was used to sign... Apple <noreply@insideicloud... Today 12:05 PM 19.5 K
Your Apple ID was used to sign... Apple <noreply@insideicloud... Today 11:54 AM 19.5 K
Your Apple ID was used to sign... Apple <noreply@insideicloud... Today 11:44 AM 19.5 K
Your Apple ID was used to sign... Apple <noreply@insideicloud... Today 11:34 AM 19.5 K
Your Apple ID was used to sign... Apple <noreply@insideicloud... Today 11:23 AM 19.5 K
Your Apple ID was used to sign... Apple <noreply@insideicloud... Today 11:13 AM 19.5 K
Your Apple ID was used to sign... Apple <noreply@insideicloud... Today 11:03 AM 19.3 K
Your Apple ID was used to sign... Apple <noreply@insideicloud... Today 10:53 AM 19.5 K
Your Apple ID was used to sign... Apple <noreply@insideicloud... Today 10:42 AM 19.5 K
Your Apple ID was used to sign... Apple <noreply@insideicloud... Today 10:32 AM 19.3 K
Your Apple ID was used to sign... Apple <noreply@insideicloud... Today 10:22 AM 19.2 K
Your Apple ID was used to sign... Apple <noreply@insideicloud... Today 10:12 AM 19.2 K
Your Apple ID was used to sign... Apple <noreply@insideicloud... Today 10:01 AM 19.4 K
Your Apple ID was used to sign... Apple <noreply@insideicloud... Today 9:41 AM 19.5 K
Your Apple ID was used to sign... Apple <noreply@insideicloud... Today 9:20 AM 19.5 K

Restarted iFindStuff no change.
Check Error Log - empty.

? Something changed at Apples end to send these notifications

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Pending Mikes return fixed with a small update see here:
viewtopic.php?f=181&t=16139&p=116455#p117136
:lol:

Thanks

Glenn
Last edited by GlennNZ on Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:07 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Posted on
Mon May 23, 2016 10:39 pm
cjp767 offline

Re: iFindStuff - causing multiple iCloud emails

Let me second that. I have begun seeing messages in the log like the ones GlennNZ mentioned and I am also getting emails telling me that my Apple ID was used to sign in to iCloud via a web browser. It lists the date, time, and mentions that the browser is Opera and the Operating System is Linux. I believe it is from the iFindStuff logins because they stop when I stop the plugin.

OH-- and the home/away logic is working perfectly. I just don't know what is prompting Apple to send the sign in emails. I restarted the computer to see what happens, and the emails continue.

Posted on
Mon May 23, 2016 11:09 pm
Chockymonster offline

I've just woken up to the same!

Posted on
Tue May 24, 2016 6:02 am
Redrocker offline

+1

~Mark
Indigo 2021.2

Posted on
Tue May 24, 2016 6:58 am
jalves offline

Same here. I disabled iFindStuff so my mailbox wouldn't fill up overnight. Must have been a change on Apple's side.

Running Indigo 2023.2 on a 24" iMac M1), OS X 14.4
Jeff

Posted on
Tue May 24, 2016 8:15 am
cjp767 offline

As a temporary solution to the symptoms of the issue, I created a rule in my Apple Mail that deletes those emails (Mail, Preferences, Rules). I'm sure other email clients have a similar feature. It's a temporary fix because it deletes warnings that say someone has signed into my account, and we truly want to see those warnings if it happens for real! For now however, it keeps things quiet. I wonder what changed on Apple's world to generate so many warnings.

Posted on
Tue May 24, 2016 6:20 pm
Gelfin offline

So just a quick ping here: I was already on the phone with Apple Support over exactly this before I remembered I had this plug-in logged into iCloud and checked the forum. I found this thread while waiting on hold and sent the URL to the rep when he got back on the phone.

He said he'd escalate it to engineering (since it's clearly something that changed on their side in the last 24 hours) and he'd try to follow up with me by email when he heard back from them, which could be a couple of weeks, he said.

Posted on
Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:00 am
jalves offline

Just wondering if you've heard back from Apple yet.

Jeff

Posted on
Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:45 pm
GlennNZ offline

Working on a fix to this.

Seems Apple changed the Cookie needed identifier from X-APPLE-WEB to X_APPLE... etc

Taken a bit of time to discover that - initially thought they have changed Cookie identification altogether.

Just testing now, will update post with fix soon next hour or two - just checking isn't still spamming...
--------------------------------

Yep - all good. Creates Cookies again properly - been testing for few hours now and only one startup email - seems fixed - enough even to turn the Wife's account back on!

For those googling from other python icloud code using pyicloud - Apple appears to have changed the X-APPLE-WEB-KB (which is the persistent cookie needed to stop repeatedly logging in and getting those emails) to X_APPLE_WEB_KB (why - who knows)

Have updated Mike excellent (and well out of my league) code to 1.02.04 and attached here.
The only change was adding a check in pyicloud/base.py for a empty result with X-APPLE-WEB-KB if empty it rechecks again using new X_APPLE_WEB_KB - meaning if some apple 'genius' changes back to Dash it will still work!

https://github.com/Ghawken/iFindStuff3. ... Plugin.zip

Glenn

Posted on
Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:57 am
jalves offline

Re: iFindStuff - multiple emails [FIXED Updated Version]

Many thanks for this fix. Just downloaded and installed the update and it appears to have fixed the issue here too.

Jeff

Posted on
Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:36 am
Chameleon offline

GlennNZ wrote:

Seems Apple changed the Cookie needed identifier from X-APPLE-WEB to X_APPLE... etc

Taken a bit of time to discover that - initially thought they have changed Cookie identification altogether.

Just testing now, will update post with fix soon next hour or two - just checking isn't still spamming...

Yep - all good. Creates Cookies again properly - been testing for few hours now and only one startup email - seems fixed - enough even to turn the Wife's account back on!

For those googling from other python icloud code using pyicloud - Apple appears to have changed the X-APPLE-WEB-KB (which is the persistent cookie needed to stop repeatedly logging in and getting those emails) to X_APPLE_WEB_KB (why - who knows)

Have updated Mike excellent (and well out of my league) code to 1.02.04 and attached here.
The only change was adding a check in pyicloud/base.py for a empty result with X-APPLE-WEB-KB if empty it rechecks again using new X_APPLE_WEB_KB - meaning if some apple 'genius' changes back to Dash it will still work!

Glenn

Amazing stuff Glenn - you were absolutely right. That fix was exactly what Apple mentioned to me when I finally got a reply from them. I've updated the code and created a new version 1.03.01 for users. I've also mentioned your MAJOR contribution in the comments!

I've a few updates to the latest version that I'm going to include later this week. I'm also getting ready to test an iPhone app that will mean that the phone will push updates to iFindStuff when things change rather than iFindStuff having to keep checking.

Regards

Mike

Posted on
Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:39 pm
GlennNZ offline

Re: iFindStuff - multiple emails [FIXED Updated Version 1.02

Chameleon wrote:
GlennNZ wrote:

Glenn

Amazing stuff Glenn - you were absolutely right. That fix was exactly what Apple mentioned to me when I finally got a reply from them. I've updated the code and created a new version 1.03.01 for users. I've also mentioned your MAJOR contribution in the comments!

I've a few updates to the latest version that I'm going to include later this week. I'm also getting ready to test an iPhone app that will mean that the phone will push updates to iFindStuff when things change rather than iFindStuff having to keep checking.

Regards

Mike

Hi Mike,

Major contribution is a bit of a stretch - was a few lines in your thousands !

But thanks anyway, just glad to hear that you are safe, well and equally as importantly - back!

Glenn

Posted on
Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:15 am
Chameleon offline

Re: iFindStuff - multiple emails [FIXED Updated Version 1.02

GlennNZ wrote:
Chameleon wrote:
GlennNZ wrote:

Glenn

Regards

Mike

Hi Mike,

Major contribution is a bit of a stretch - was a few lines in your thousands !

But thanks anyway, just glad to hear that you are safe, well and equally as importantly - back!

Glenn

Trust me Glenn - many users found it a major contribution!

M

Page 1 of 1