Amazon IoT programmable button now on sale

Posted on
Fri May 13, 2016 7:22 am
Different Computers offline

Amazon IoT programmable button now on sale

Embracing those who tried to hack the "order now" buttons, they're now selling a button designed for what we want.

AWS IoT Button - Limited Release Programmable Dash Button

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Fri May 13, 2016 7:54 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Amazon IoT programmable button now on sale

That is terrific. Thanks for sharing.

Posted on
Fri May 13, 2016 9:27 am
DaveL17 offline

Just a note that you must be an Amazon Prime member to buy these.
Dave

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Fri May 13, 2016 9:37 am

If there's a dev who wants one of these who isn't a prime member, DM me. We'll work something out.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Sat May 14, 2016 5:28 pm
kw123 offline

I guess this is for the Amazon Alexa device. It likely Sends a command to the Amazon cloud. The cloud then send a command -to be designed on the cloud- to Alexa.
Feels like "if this then that"

If one could capture the package internally and send it to indigo. That would be cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sat May 14, 2016 5:59 pm
roussell offline

Wow they sold out fast! I was camping last night with no cell access. By the time I returned to civilization, they were gone... :-/

Posted on
Sun May 22, 2016 9:29 pm
spiv offline

These are back on sale again (as of 22-May-2016) on Amazon.com

It is listed as "limited release", for purchase by Prime members only, and delivery is August 16.

The price is $19.95 plus tax.

If you are interested, I suggest ordering ASAP as it is unclear if it will sell out quickly.

I have one on order - hoping someone is working on hacking it for Indigo.

Update: Anyone working on a plug-in?

As a reminder, the cool thing here is that the button works on Wifi, not Bluetooth so it is not limited by range or bridging through a mobile phone. Essentially, this is a one-button battery operated wireless remote control that is a lot cheaper than an Insteon or Z-Wave rf "button".

I could envision a simple plug-in that detects a button press, or a more advanced plug-in that can detect a "double press" (or more) to overlay more than one input from a single button.
For example, if used for lights, a single-press for toggling on or off, a double-press for activating a scene or increment dimming.

Posted on
Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:13 am

Once again in stock, and now they look like a regular for sale item, no longer a pilot program.

Posted on
Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:17 am
kw123 offline

you can use fingscan and unfiAP to trigger events in indigo with the regular buttons

Posted on
Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:12 am
spiv offline

I just received my Amazon IoT button today and got it working!

I configured the button using the sample Amazon Lamba service to "send an email" when the button is pressed.
I used the Indigo plug-in "Better Email" viewforum.php?f=177 to detect the incoming email and parse it.
I configured a trigger in Indigo that toggles a light.

It works, but there is a time delay as the Amazon button takes a few seconds to send the keypress to the AWS cloud, and then there is a delay while AWS fires up the Lambda task to send the email, then Indigo receives the email and finally the device is toggled.

This is primarily a "proof of concept" that the $20 Amazon button can control any Indigo device or action.

There is probably a more elegant solution using REST api's or other methods to avoid the slow-but-works email-to-mail via the cloud methodology, but as I had never used AWS, Lambda, node.js, or the Better Email plug-in before, I am happy to have done this in just a few hours time.

Some tips (in case you give it a try). Please note that this is not a full step-by-step, just highlights of some things to watch out for:

Order the Amazon IoT button/programming information: https://aws.amazon.com/iot/button/
Create an Amazon account (if you don't already have one)
Create an Amazon AWS account
Create a new email account (Gmail is fine) to only use for this (better than mingling with an existing account)
When configuring the AWS IoT/Lambda account be sure to change the default pull-down from "Custom IoT rule" to "IoT button" or it will not work. (Everywhere else, defaults will work fine)
When configuring Better Email plugin, enable debugging so you can see what is going on.
Use Better Email setting for IMAP and "regular expressions" to parse the subject line for "SINGLE", "DOUBLE", or "LONG" - (you don't need to write a fancy regex, but otherwise it won't parse the subject line properly.)

I had trouble with the AWS Lambda function. I initially used it with my own email address and when I tried to edit the function to use the new email account I created just for the button, I couldn't get it to work anymore. Since AWS uses encryption certificates, endpoints, and several other opaque configuration settings (at least for an AWS newbie like me), I ended up creating another AWS account to get a "clean start" and that worked fine.

NOTE: Save the keys/certificates that AWS generates (they are just text files). If you should need to change the IoT button WiFi settings (SSID and/or password), you'll want to be able to re-initialize it with the same keys/certificate files so you don't have to re-create the AWS/Lamda functions, etc.

I

Posted on
Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:24 am
kw123 offline

You can use fingscan to trigger an action. When you press the button fingscan should register it immediately
But a second press would need to wait until it expires.
It works well with the old buttons. There you need to set them up but stop just before the last step when you configure Amazon

Posted on
Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:03 am
spiv offline

As I understand it, the fingscan hack will not differentiate between single press, double press, or long press and requires configuring the dash buttons to not finish the ordering process on the Amazon account side of things.

Looking for a legitimate (Amazon sanctioned) implementation that is faster than mail-to-mail gateway and doesn't rely on sniffing lan traffic.

Posted on
Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:06 am
ckeyes888 offline

There's always this single button as an alternative: http://www.homecontrols.com/X10-Pro-Big ... ncy-Button

Have a couple and they work well.

Carl

Posted on
Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:12 am
kw123 offline

it is not "illegal" sniffing traffic. The dash button sends out "hello I am here" and anyone can pick it up. It is the same behavior any IP device does when it connects to the network.

and yes there any MANY solutions to this.

Karl

Page 1 of 1