EZIO8SA, EZIO2X4, EZIO8T support in Indigo

Posted on
Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:05 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

EZIO8SA, EZIO2X4, EZIO8T support in Indigo

Indigo 2.0.5 now supports the new INSTEON EZIO8SA, EZIO2X4, and EZIO8T. These are general purpose input/output modules that include binary inputs, analog inputs, 1-wire sensor inputs, and outputs (triacs and relay). They can be used to control and monitor low voltage devices such as contact closures, landscape lights, relays, valves, alarm systems, etc.

Indigo supports turning the individual outputs on/off, as well as uploading the output auto-off delay durations.

Indigo also supports defining the alarm trigger points for the analog and 1-wire inputs. To create Indigo Trigger Actions based on binary inputs changes (or the alarm thresholds are passed on the analog or 1-wire inputs), use the Trigger Action type Device State Changed. From there, once you have selected an EZIOxx device, you'll be able to create Indigo Triggers whenever the binary input states change.

Note that trying to create Trigger Actions on the type INSTEON Command Received will not work because Indigo does not create links in the EZIOxx for the individual inputs. Instead, Indigo sets a flag in the EZIOxx which has it broadcast an INSTEON Status Changed Broadcast message to Indigo. Therefore, the only INSTEON command that will ever be received during an input change from an EZIOxx is the Status Changed Broadcast (ON commands for the individual inputs will not be sent to the PowerLinc). This is why you must use the Device State Changed trigger. It will let you create Triggers based on when specific input value states change versus just a global "something changed" trigger.

Also note there are some improvements to the Control Page editor which allow you to show the state of a specific EZIOxx input or output. These changes also let you show the on/off status of a specific sprinkler zone. Here is an example of a EZIOxx Control Page in action:

http://goprism.com:8000/controlpage?name=ezio8sa_example

Some older EZIOxx firmware versions aren't compatible with Indigo because they don't broadcast input status changes. Those units can be returned to SimpleHomeNet to be updated. I believe that change went into firmware version 1.4, but I'm not positive.

Hopefully, this will be enough to get folks started! As always, let me know if you find any bugs/issues.

Regards,
Matt

Last edited by matt (support) on Fri May 11, 2007 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:17 pm
Otis offline

(No subject)

Excellent! My EZIO8SA just came a couple of days ago. I'll try it tonight.

In the Prism control page example, Turning "All Off" seems to take a very long time — a couple of minutes or more (or maybe not at all).

Posted on
Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:16 pm
Cosmuk offline

(No subject)

Hello,
I have the EZIO8T and 2x4
I am not able to get either one synced. They come up
as dimmers.

EZIO8T
Linking - device address 08.9A.E6 already exists in PowerLinc's database
PowerLinc Linking - sending ping request for device information
PowerLinc Linking - received ping response from 08.9A.E6
PowerLinc Linking - retrieving firmware version
PowerLinc Linking - no match found for device type ID 1794 with firmware version 0.0
Error linking failed
PowerLinc Linking - entering linking mode (240 seconds)

Apr 26, 2007 6:10:19 PM
PowerLinc Linking - exiting linking mode

EZIO 2x4
Linking - device address 08.9C.59 already exists in PowerLinc's database
PowerLinc Linking - sending ping request for device information
PowerLinc Linking - received ping response from 08.9C.59
PowerLinc Linking - retrieving firmware version
PowerLinc Linking - no match found for device type ID 1795 with firmware version 0.0
Error linking failed
PowerLinc Linking - entering linking mode (240 seconds)
PowerLinc Linking - exiting linking mode

Posted on
Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:30 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

(No subject)

It doesn't look like you are running version 2.0.5 of the IndigoServer (check the about box). Try running the installer again and rebooting your Mac. If the installer doesn't say version 2.0.5, then re-download it from the website. Let me know if that doesn't work...

Matt

Posted on
Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:41 pm
Cosmuk offline

(No subject)

You was right, a second install did the trick! (':roll:')

Posted on
Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:03 pm
Cosmuk offline

(No subject)

This is great although I do have a request.
I am using this to sense voltage on the inputs
So when for instance the amp is on it sends out a 12v trigger
that I step down to a safe 5 v for the EZIO8T to see.
The issue is the variable, when it sees an active input the
dot (for instance) goes off and when it dosn't see voltage the
light goes on.

The text is reversed as well

Is there a way to reverse this? other that to modify the png names?

Posted on
Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:18 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

(No subject)

What version firmware does your EZIO8T show in the device dialog? It sounds like you may have < 1.4. From this thread it sounds like they reversed the input logic for version 1.4 and above.

The easiest solution would probably be to duplicate the images, prefix them with "ezio" (or something else of your choosing) and swap the +on postfix. But as you mentioned, that doesn't help the on/off textual description. You can always create Trigger Actions that map the reverse logic to a variable as well.

Regards,
Matt

Posted on
Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:44 pm
walstib offline

thanks!

Hey Matt, thanks for adding EZIO suppport. This just opened up about a zillion possibilities for things I can do. I think the garage door will be first. Then I have a bunch of magnetic contacts, so who knows which door will be next to trigger something!

Is the Dakota RF interface part of the EZIO supported stuff now, or does that come later. I picked up one of the Dakota interfaces from Simplehomenet, but I don't have any of the RF sender units yet, so I haven't messed with it yet.

Posted on
Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:39 pm
morps offline

(No subject)

Newbie/naive EZIOxxx post:

How does one go about using these devices to control low voltage landscape lighting? Is it nothing different than the EZRain?

Can one of these EZIOxxx devices be used to control multiple sets (e.g. front yard, backyard) lights or do I need one for each set?

Finally, if a single unit can be used for multiple sets, can I also use the same device to get status of my garage door?

Without too much pain, I can get all my leads into the same corner of my garage for all my landscape lighting and garage door, so if I can use a single device, that would be cool.

Thanks again everyone!

Posted on
Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:35 pm
Otis offline

(No subject)

Matt,

I haven't found any way yet to check the status of an EZIO8SA input (either binary or analog) without waiting for a trigger event. Am I missing it or is it not there yet?

I know I could set a variable every time a binary input changes, but it would take some work to assure it was always accurate with power failures, system restart, occasional glitches, etc.

There are several situations such as HVAC control and automatic pool refilling where I'd feel a lot safer checking inputs periodically, rather than relying on triggers to keep a variable in sync with the input.

For example, I'd like Indigo to tell me if the garage door is still open at 10 p.m. by directly checking the input in a time/date action.

Also, is there now a way to directly read an analog input?

It's great to finally have these devices supported! Thanks.

Posted on
Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:49 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

(No subject)

Hi Otis,

Otis wrote:
I haven't found any way yet to check the status of an EZIO8SA input (either binary or analog) without waiting for a trigger event. Am I missing it or is it not there yet?

You can select the device in the Main Window and press the Get Input/Output Status button, or from a Time/Date Action panel you can use the type Control Input/Output Device with the action Send Status Request.

Both of those will retrieve all of the input states (binary, analog, and 1-wire) and the current output states. You can then create Trigger Actions for when the Device State Changes (it will change as a result of the status request if the state has changed). You can also inspect the current values of the inputs and outputs on a web Control Page.

There isn't currently a way to use an input/output state as part of a variable Condition. If you need that functionality, then you'll need to create Trigger Actions that mirror the device's state into some Indigo Variables. The plan is to add an additional "If device state" conditional type, but first I have some higher priority features to finish up first. :-)

Regards,
Matt

Posted on
Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:55 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: thanks!

walstib wrote:
Is the Dakota RF interface part of the EZIO supported stuff now, or does that come later?

I added preliminary support for the EZSnsRF into build 2.0.5 as well. I don't have one yet, so I haven't been able to test it. It requires a bit of manual work to get the EZSnsRF linked to the PowerLinc.

Follow the instructions that came with the EZSnsRF to configure and link it back to the PowerLinc. When you get to this sentence:

- Linking Your EZSnsRF -
Press the pushbutton on the Insteon device to be controlled until its LED blinks, and the LED on the EZSnsRF turns off indicating a successful link.

Press and hold the set button on the PowerLinc for a few seconds (I think 5 will work, but maybe 10). This should establish a link back to the PowerLinc which will then be notified via ON/OFF commands whenever that motion detector is tripped.

In my post above I said to use "Device State Change" type for Trigger Actions. Well, that isn't true for the EZSnsRF. Indigo does not maintain any of the on/off state information from the EZSnsRF. Instead you'll need to use the INSTEON Command Received type (for ON and OFF). Unlike the EZIOxxs, the EZSnsRF maintains any on/off state information itself. It just acts as a gateway to translate those RF commands into INSTEON commands.

Let me know if that works!

Regards,
Matt
Last edited by matt (support) on Sat May 05, 2007 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:08 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

(No subject)

morps wrote:
How does one go about using these devices to control low voltage landscape lighting? Is it nothing different than the EZRain?

The EZRain UI in Indigo is a bit different and cannot be used with the EZIOxx modules. Instead there is new UI in the Action panels that lets you turn on individual outputs on the EZIOxxx modules. The EZIO2X4 and EZIO8SA both have relay outputs and are rated around 24VDC/120VAC @ 3As. The EZIO8T uses triacs, so will only work with AC transformers (up to 48VAC @ 0.4As).

Unlike the EZRain, you can control the outputs independently of each other so you might be able to just have a single module. And you should be able to use the input to get your garage door status on the same module.

Regards,
Matt

Posted on
Sat May 05, 2007 2:46 pm
ipfreely offline

Worked like a charm......

Now I just figure out the dip switch setting so I can use multiple Dakota Alert products.

My how fun flies when your doing time!

Posted on
Fri May 11, 2007 12:38 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

MacHomeStore.com has EZIO8SA, EZIO2X4, EZIO8T in stock

FYI, MacHomeStore.com now has the INSTEON EZIO8SA, EZIO2X4, and EZIO8T in stock.

Regards,
Matt