INSTEON Switches (SwitchLinc and ToggleLinc)

Posted on
Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:32 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: INSTEON Switches (SwitchLinc and ToggleLinc)

I can't really see where all the wires go, but the behavior indicates it's wired wrong. You need the FanLinc to always be powered and you need to cap off the red (load) wire on the KeypadLinc.

I can tell you how mine are wired, but you may need a different setup based on building code in your location. I have a 2 gang jbox which contains a KeypadLinc and a simple non-automated manual decora switch:

KeypadLinc
  • Ground -> Ground
  • Neutral -> Neutral (white)
  • Line -> Line (black)
  • Load -> Capped off (red)

Load to Fan (i.e. FanLinc) is connected to the second switch

The load to the fan is connected to the FanLinc as it's documentation describes.

With this arrangement, I can cut power to the entire fan (including the FanLinc) with the switch. The switch stays on just about all the time. Then, the KeypadLinc controls the FanLinc based on the Insteon links created in the afore mentioned article.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:00 am
LeeButler offline

I have a problem with a replacement non-dimming Togglelinc switch (original one died after 5+ years of use. It works fine manually and is sitting right next to another Togglelinc switch that works flawlessly so I know it isn't a noise issue. Before I have it replaced I wanted to know if the log data below points to a hardware problem or a possible software issue.

Is this the new Togglelinc? Is my PowerLinc suddenly flakey?

Thanks,
Lee

I am running Indigo 6.1.7.

I rebooted and tried twice:
Connected to PowerLinc 2448A7 rev2 interface on port usbserial-A60336TU
PowerLinc address 31.17.65, firmware version 3.10
SQL Logger update complete

Mar 11, 2016, 9:42:26 PM
PowerLinc Linking - entered discovery linking mode (240 seconds)

Mar 11, 2016, 9:42:52 PM
PowerLinc Linking - copying all links from old address to new address
PowerLinc Linking - syncing PowerLinc links (address 31.17.65)
PowerLinc Linking - . . adding: INSTEON plc link to controller 3C.56.81, flags 03, group 01, data 00 00 FF
PowerLinc Linking - sync complete
PowerLinc Linking - PowerLinc links updated
PowerLinc Linking - sending engine version request to 3C.56.81
PowerLinc Linking - received engine version 02 from 3C.56.81
PowerLinc Linking - sending id request for device information to 3C.56.81
PowerLinc Linking - received id request response from 3C.56.81
PowerLinc Linking - initializing remote device "Garage:Lights" (address 3C.56.81, firmware version 41)
PowerLinc Linking - initialize complete
PowerLinc Linking - syncing remote device "Garage:Lights" (address 3C.56.81, firmware version 41)
PowerLinc Linking - syncing all links

Mar 11, 2016, 9:43:55 PM
Error failed to fetch data from remote module
Error Linking - syncing failed
Error linking failed

Mar 11, 2016, 9:44:32 PM
PowerLinc Linking - copying all links from old address to new address
PowerLinc Linking - syncing PowerLinc links (address 31.17.65)
PowerLinc Linking - . . adding: INSTEON plc link to controller 3C.56.81, flags 03, group 01, data 00 00 FF
PowerLinc Linking - sync complete
PowerLinc Linking - PowerLinc links updated
PowerLinc Linking - sending engine version request to 3C.56.81
PowerLinc Linking - received engine version 02 from 3C.56.81
PowerLinc Linking - sending id request for device information to 3C.56.81
PowerLinc Linking - received id request response from 3C.56.81
PowerLinc Linking - initializing remote device "Garage:Lights" (address 3C.56.81, firmware version 41)
PowerLinc Linking - initialize complete
PowerLinc Linking - syncing remote device "Garage:Lights" (address 3C.56.81, firmware version 41)
PowerLinc Linking - syncing all links

Mar 11, 2016, 9:45:38 PM
PowerLinc Linking - . . . read: INSTEON dev link to controller 31.17.65, flags A2, group FE, data FF 00 00

Mar 11, 2016, 9:46:33 PM
Error failed to fetch data from remote module
Error Linking - syncing failed
Error linking failed

Mar 11, 2016, 9:48:03 PM
PowerLinc Linking - exited linking mode

Posted on
Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:20 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Hi Lee,

Actually, this may be a noise issue. The syncing process requires the use of extended INSTEON commands and those are much more susceptible to noise and other signal problems. So try the trick of plugging the PowerLinc into other circuits/outlets using an extension cord to see if you can find one that allows the sync to complete.

Posted on
Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:46 pm
rbdubz3 offline

Question on an Insteon KeypadLinc.. I have some RGBW/Tunable white bulbs connected to a KeypadLinc Dimmer switch with 6 buttons.. These bulbs are supposed to be left with power on ALWAYS, such that ON/OFF and dimming is done by a remote app via a hub. However, I have found that they work ok with these dimmers with power at 100% and power turned on/off daily.

One Note.. I think I am probably better off if this KeypadLinc wasn't a dimmer, although Insteon tech support thought the power provided by the dimmer would be equivalent to an identical non-dimming keypadlinc

My question.. Can I use Indigo to essentially override the main button which is associated with the load ? The power would always be ON, and pressing the button would send an ON command to the hub for the RGBW/tunable My guess is NO.. and that I would actually need to rewire the keypadlinc such that it is always ON . Basically cap KeypadLinc load wire and connect load/line together for this circuit

Lemme know thoughts on this one.

I automate because I am lazy :D - My Plugins: https://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=309

Posted on
Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:47 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Just wire the KeypadLinc so that it's load wire is capped off (not directly controlling the load) and just wire the actual load so that it always has power. Then you can use Indigo triggers whenever it sees the KeypadLinc go on/off it sends the appropriate commands to the bulbs.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:05 pm
rbdubz3 offline

Cool.. thanks Jay.. Yeah I did this load cap for a separate Keypadlinc/fanlinc setup in my master bedroom, since the previous switch controlled the entire load to the fan.

So when a Keypadlinc (dimmer) is in this capped / load on state, do you know if all of the buttons on the keypadlinc can do dimming up/down functionality ? Guess I am checking if only the single main on/off button dims.. or all of them can dim

I automate because I am lazy :D - My Plugins: https://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=309

Posted on
Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:06 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

All non-load controlling KeypadLinc buttons brighten/dim when held.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:26 pm
mattyf offline

Keypadlink button not sending

I have an 8 key keypad and one of the buttons is not sending commands when its pressed. The LED light toggles on and off, but the little green light at the bottom of the keypad doesn't flash after this particular key is pressed. All the other keys work as expected.

Is there a way to reset this thing? Or have I inadvertently done something wrong? Is this even the right forum to post in?

Thanks!

Posted on
Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:42 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Try Re-Syncing that device in Indigo. It will re-write the INSTEON links for all the buttons into the KeypadLinc if any of them are missing.

Posted on
Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:04 pm
mattyf offline

Fix a switch if air gap reset doesn't work?

I have a dimmer switch in the wall. It stopped working... I tried prying out the airgap thing but the switch doesn't really work anymore. If I turn it on via the switch, the light comes on but very very slowly. Same with turning it off. Indigo is unable to control it at all. Is it basically dead and needs to be replaced?

Posted on
Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:43 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Fix a switch if air gap reset doesn't work?

mattyf wrote:
I have a dimmer switch in the wall. It stopped working... I tried prying out the airgap thing but the switch doesn't really work anymore. If I turn it on via the switch, the light comes on but very very slowly. Same with turning it off. Indigo is unable to control it at all. Is it basically dead and needs to be replaced?

You should try to do a factory reset on it first just to make sure it's just not in a bad state. Pull out the LED pipe (air gap it) for 15 seconds or more. Then, and this is crucial, push it all the way back in all the way (don't stop at the normal ungapped position) in one motion and continue to hold it for 15 seconds (I use a flat blade screwdriver to make sure I get it pressed in all the way). Then release it. Redo the sync in Indigo and see if that works.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:59 pm
Welshdog offline

I've got a KeypadLinc Relay (six button) that is misbehaving. For lack of a better term, it seems to be crashing. When it is triggered by the motion sensor it beeps, the button lights go out and then it comes back - but the command from the motion sensor is not processed. This behavior is random. It will exhibit the same behavior sometimes when I push a physical button as well. I have checked the wire terminations and everything seems fine. This switch has been installed for many years and nothing has changed in my system or programming. I've tried factory reset and no change in performance. Re-synced as well.

This switch gets triggered many, many times a day, as it is in the garage off the kitchen. We are in and out of there constantly, so this switch has a lot of mileage on it. I figure it may just be at end-of-life, but wanted to ask if anyone has seen this behavior before.

Thanks.

Posted on
Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:21 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

I'd definitely say it is malfunctioning given the factory resets don't help (or don't help for log).

Posted on
Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:12 pm
Welshdog offline

matt (support) wrote:
I'd definitely say it is malfunctioning given the factory resets don't help (or don't help for log).

Agreed. New one ordered.

Posted on
Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:28 am
farberm offline

I have an Insteon three way switch. It often reports that the light is on even though it is not on. When I click status request it updates correctly. Any explanation for this?

All three switches work correctly and turn the light on and off.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-01-05 at 9.22.56 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-01-05 at 9.22.56 AM.png (125.89 KiB) Viewed 5200 times