Accessibility in Home Remote - Ideas and Improvements

Posted on
Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:45 pm
Gary_BBGames offline

Accessibility in Home Remote - Ideas and Improvements

I have had reports that Home Remote is less than usable for visually impaired users and want to do what I can to improve this. I do not know any visually impaired people that are tech savvy enough to use Home Remote, so if you fit that bill then please, can you help me understand your requirements.

I have discovered I can see if voice over is enabled in iOS. My plan is to offer a version of the app with the option buttons for each action visible, and a way of calling actions from within the app, as I'm under the impression voice over doesn't work in the Today Screen that well?

I will also try using the app myself with voice over enabled.

Any ideas or requests then please let me know.

Posted on
Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:56 am
Gary_BBGames offline

Re: Accessibility in Home Remote - Ideas and Improvements

So far I have now made the Add Action screen and the add Indigo device process accessible. You can navigation without the screen using voiceover and the gestures they provide.

You can select all options, but the options screen themselves (location, schedule, voice and today screen) still need modifying.

I already have a debug version of the today widget I use for testing (you can get to it by tapping and holding on Add Action... for a few seconds. I will make this a button option if the device has voice over enabled.

This should go some way to address issues that the visually impaired with Home Remote.

Posted on
Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:18 am
Gary_BBGames offline

Re: Accessibility in Home Remote - Ideas and Improvements

Version 3.0 of the app (still in development) is now fully accessible and can be used by those with vision impairments. Even when the screen is not visible it is still possible to add actions and activate them.

Page 1 of 1