Aeon Labs MultiSensor 6 ZW100-A

Posted on
Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:33 am
johnpolasek offline

Re: Aeon Labs MultiSensor 6 ZW100-A

adding another full-blown HA system to get new device support seems like the wrong path.

I was just saying that the Vera is already supported (and will almost certainly remain so due to the exorbitant price Vera and Kwikset want to charge to obtain the encryption keys to access Z-wave locks directly) it might be easier to just grab the Vera data and run rather than try to sort out all the dribble and goo that Aeon is apparently sending to the Z-stick.

Posted on
Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:53 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

No - the Vera bridge plugin is really just meant to help Vera users transition to Indigo (well, and to support locks). Putting any more effort into it at the moment would just extend the time it takes to get Indigo 7 out the door. Also, because of how slow the Vera API is/can be, adding sensor devices doesn't make a lot of sense because triggering off of them would seem very slow/unreliable.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:11 pm
Ulrik offline

+1

Posted on
Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:53 pm
dfsweden offline

+1 +several sensors.

The size is amazing on this device, really want to get it working asap.

Posted on
Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:36 pm
blueballsius offline

+1 :)

Posted on
Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:38 pm
johnpolasek offline

Unless the one I got was defective, this thing has got some serious teething problems; Since I have a Vera Lite to control a Z-wave deadbolt, I bought one and decided to hook it up to the Vera to at least play with it a bit... and found that it would link, but then drop off line after a couple of hours. Spent a week going back and forth with Aeon, unlinking and relinking, changing parameters because "Vera does not understand this is not a 4 in 1 sensor" before I finally determined by trial and error that the motion sensor ONLY works when the device is on USB power, not when it is on battery, the light, temperature, and humidity sensors ONLY update when the device is on USB power OR when the activation switch is pressed on battery power, the UV sensor ALWAYS sends exactly the same value as the light sensor irrespective of the lighting source, and the device can only be updated when the activation switch is pressed , not when the sensor sends data to the Vera. The tamper alert does alwaystransmit when the device is moved. I've got a ticket in to Aeon to confirm that "this behavior is by design", but at the moment, I'd say that unless all you want to use it for is a shake sensor, or you're willing to leave it tied to a USB power source permanently, you're a lot better off sticking with the 4 in 1 (which I also bought one of and is working perfectly) even if it is a bit bulkier.

Posted on
Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:04 pm
Bollar offline

johnpolasek wrote:
Unless the one I got was defective, this thing has got some serious teething problems; Since I have a Vera Lite to control a Z-wave deadbolt, I bought one and decided to hook it up to the Vera to at least play with it a bit... and found that it would link, but then drop off line after a couple of hours. Spent a week going back and forth with Aeon, unlinking and relinking, changing parameters because "Vera does not understand this is not a 4 in 1 sensor" before I finally determined by trial and error that the motion sensor ONLY works when the device is on USB power, not when it is on battery, the light, temperature, and humidity sensors ONLY update when the device is on USB power OR when the activation switch is pressed on battery power, the UV sensor ALWAYS sends exactly the same value as the light sensor irrespective of the lighting source, and the device can only be updated when the activation switch is pressed , not when the sensor sends data to the Vera. The tamper alert does alwaystransmit when the device is moved. I've got a ticket in to Aeon to confirm that "this behavior is by design", but at the moment, I'd say that unless all you want to use it for is a shake sensor, or you're willing to leave it tied to a USB power source permanently, you're a lot better off sticking with the 4 in 1 (which I also bought one of and is working perfectly) even if it is a bit bulkier.

I think it's just yours, or the way Vera understands it. In Indigo, I see this:
Code: Select all
  Z-Wave                          received "Living Room - Motion Sensor" status update is off
  Error                           device "Living Room - Motion Sensor" state key onOffState not defined (ignoring update request)
  Error                           device "Living Room - Motion Sensor" state key onOffState not defined (ignoring update request)

It is only powered by battery, but I haven't done much experimenting since Indigo doesn't support it.

Insteon / Z-Wave / Bryant Evolution Connex /Tesla / Roomba / Elk M1 / SiteSage / Enphase Enlighten / NOAA Alerts

Posted on
Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:15 pm
johnpolasek offline

Based on the way the Vera is acting and the (somewhat language challenged) emails I have been getting from Aeon, it almost sounds like the sensor is sending different information codes when it's USB powered than when it's battery powered. Which I could see as a possibility given that it's likely running through a different section of the program (receive and re transmit neighbor node information when on USB power, transmit and briefly listen for acknowledgment when on battery). But if the programmers goofed and didn't get the same data table in both spots, that's a oopski that they're going to have to resolve with a firmware update...

Posted on
Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:38 am
johnpolasek offline

johnpolasek wrote:
Based on the way the Vera is acting and the (somewhat language challenged) emails I have been getting from Aeon, it almost sounds like the sensor is sending different information codes when it's USB powered than when it's battery powered. Which I could see as a possibility given that it's likely running through a different section of the program (receive and re transmit neighbor node information when on USB power, transmit and briefly listen for acknowledgment when on battery). But if the programmers goofed and didn't get the same data table in both spots, that's a oopski that they're going to have to resolve with a firmware update...

An update: I got some more info from Aeon that sounds like this is what is happening. From their Tech Support:

If you have already included the Multisensor 6 on USB power then switched over the battery power, you may find issues since when switching supply power, the Multisensor 6 will need to be re-included in order to re-send its new information frame to the gateway.

---

The UV sensor and Vibration sensor are not functioning on Vera as indicated to me by their development team, the UV sensor will show the same value as the light sensor due to some issue with Vera's software at this current time.

The UV sensor and Vibration sensor are not yet usable in Vera until a further update to their system has fixed the issue.

Which sounds like they are deliberately making it as difficult as possible for anybody but them to do anything with this beast, first by making the control codes different from their 4 in 1 and not including a full manual describing the meaning of the parameter options, then by making the battery powered signal different than the USB powered signal without indicating anything about this while strongly recommending that users do their linking and configuration on USB power.

Posted on
Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:57 am
gsbrewer offline

Is this sensor supported in 6.1.5? It sure looks like it, but I'm still getting the " state key onOffState not defined (ignoring update request)" error. Do I need to delete and re-introduce the device into the system?

Posted on
Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:14 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

No, the new Multi Sensor 6 is not yet supported.

Posted on
Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:40 pm
wideglidejrp offline

I see in release notes for 6.1.5 a reference to two different Multi Sensor devices. The MS6 has been out nearly a year now and those of us who bought it have no more warranty. I realize that is not Indio's problem, but could you give us any clue? I presume there is something extra special about the 6 which is making it difficult to support. Should we give up and look for other Multi Sensors?

John R Patrick
Author of
Home Attitude

Posted on
Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:11 pm
Bollar offline

wideglidejrp wrote:
I see in release notes for 6.1.5 a reference to two different Multi Sensor devices. The MS6 has been out nearly a year now and those of us who bought it have no more warranty. I realize that is not Indio's problem, but could you give us any clue? I presume there is something extra special about the 6 which is making it difficult to support. Should we give up and look for other Multi Sensors?

Yes. If I didn't have a small pile of these already and if the Fibaro FGMS-001 supported Fahrenheit, I would have switched already. There aren't many good choices for motion sensors.

Insteon / Z-Wave / Bryant Evolution Connex /Tesla / Roomba / Elk M1 / SiteSage / Enphase Enlighten / NOAA Alerts

Posted on
Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:53 pm
haavarda offline

I am not sure if it is official, but I don't think we will see support for this before indigo 7. Mostly because it is a totally new device, and not just a definition update...

Håvard

Posted on
Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:21 am
Bollar offline

Well, I wound up buying some Fibaro sensors through Amazon same-day and I will be unloading the Aeons. Hoping a future version of Indigo supports F/C selection seems a better proposition than waiting for device support.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk