Insteon Device Acknowledgement Failure

Posted on
Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:06 pm
mvignola29 offline

Insteon Device Acknowledgement Failure

Have a problem with an Insteon device, An Outdoor Appliance Linc that does not send an acknowledgement that it has turn off when using the schedule feature of Indigo Pro. The scheduled vent occur in that the outdoor light do actually shut off but their is an error in the acknowledgment and when you review the device list in Indigo it still looks that it is on even though it is not. I do have an access point that is on the same line inside the house. Not sure how I can resolve this issue. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Posted on
Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:25 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Insteon Device Acknowledgement Failure

"no ack" errors are pretty much always because of some signal noise between the device and the PowerLinc. You might try moving around your access point to see if you can get a better/clearer signal. Check out the signal troubleshooting page for more things to try.

It's highly unlikely that it has anything to do Indigo Schedules, though if that schedule is executing around the same time that other Insteon things are happening it could be that you've got some signal collisions that are causing problems.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:56 pm
mvignola29 offline

Does the Z-wave technologically offer better processing of signals then Insteon? I am still rather new in using Insteon which has worked better then the X10 device I had previously. I realize that the Indigo software does work with both of them

Thanks for reply and link to the troubleshooting of signals.

Posted on
Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:10 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Z-Wave doesn't have the same issues as Insteon with signal noise on the power line (since it's RF only), and it does have better speed and error recovery logic. However, Insteon has some benefits as well. We have a wiki article that discusses the two and our recommendations.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:59 am
mvignola29 offline

I did get a Z-wave outdoor module and I guess I need a controller for this model. I see on amazon a Aeon Labs DSA02203-ZWUS Z-Wave Z-Stick Series 2 USB Dongle, that indicates that it only work with Linux, Windows XP, Server 2003/2000, and Vista. I assume I will need something that works with MAC. Can you please recommend some that should work with Mac.
Any info is appreciated

Michael

Posted on
Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:52 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Hi Michael,

That Z-Stick (series 2) will actually work great with Indigo. They (Amazon) just doesn't know it, but we do.

Posted on
Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:06 pm
mvignola29 offline

Thanks for the info, will pick one up today

Michael

Page 1 of 1