[ANSWERED]: SQL logging and weatherSnoop data collection

Posted on
Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:49 am
la3epfl offline

[ANSWERED]: SQL logging and weatherSnoop data collection

Hello,

I am using the data logger as well as the weatherSnoop plugin where I am collecting data from weatherUnderground stations.
It comes very handy and works beautifully, however I have a couple problems that I would like to solve.
First of all, for each weather agent device, the logs on the database contain the whole data of the weather agent rather than just the one it is configured to give (for example temperature or humidity). This means that for each weather parameter I want to see in the interface, the database logs 20+ data columns, and this n time if n is the number of parameter (in my case 5). Therefore, I end up with 5 copies of the same large tables in my database. I was wondering if there could be a fix for that. For example selective logging of some of the agents only.

Second, (and I think it is essentially the same problem as in http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewtopic.php?f=98&t=11715), in each of this databases, the data entries seem to update only one column at a time, which means that for a particular timestamp, I may have 15+ almost identical copies of the same line essentially.

As you can easily understand, I am a bit worried that having 5 times the copy of a large table which itself as 10 copies of each of its line (also considering that the logs are done at a relatively fast rate that I cannot seem to be able to control) might make the database blow up in size quite quickly, and the logging is quite important for me so I would like to limit the expansion of the database as much as possible.

Any advice ?

Thanks in advance

Posted on
Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:26 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: SQL logging and weatherSnoop data collection

Yes, this is a server limitation since there isn't currently an API that allows plugins to update multiple states at once. We need to add that, so it is on the feature request / ToDo list. We also have on the feature request list improved control over SQL Logging, so that you can select specific devices to log or skip.

Thanks for the feedback.

Page 1 of 1