NOAA Plugin failing

Posted on
Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:45 pm
greenhornet offline

NOAA Plugin failing

I'm getting the following error in the log when I enable the plugin and set up a new device with a station ID. Doesn't matter which station ID I use, it's always the same result.

NOAA Weather Error Error in plugin execution UiValidate:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "plugin.py", line 120, in validateDeviceConfigUi
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/urllib2.py", line 154, in urlopen
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/urllib2.py", line 437, in open
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/urllib2.py", line 550, in http_response
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/urllib2.py", line 469, in error
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/urllib2.py", line 409, in _call_chain
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/urllib2.py", line 656, in http_error_302
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/urllib2.py", line 431, in open
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/urllib2.py", line 449, in _open
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/urllib2.py", line 409, in _call_chain
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/urllib2.py", line 1240, in https_open
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/urllib2.py", line 1197, in do_open
URLError: <urlopen error [SSL: TLSV1_ALERT_PROTOCOL_VERSION] tlsv1 alert protocol version (_ssl.c:590)>
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-01-22 at 11.41.26 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-01-22 at 11.41.26 PM.png (285.77 KiB) Viewed 5782 times

Posted on
Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:48 am
FlyingDiver offline

Re: NOAA Plugin failing

Looks like you're on an old OS version. Looks like NOAA is now requiring a current version of TLS for the connection, so you'll need to be running High Sierra or later.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:08 am
greenhornet offline

UGH. The server is running on an older Mac mini. I've specifically seen mention from the devs in the past that they want to keep Indigo compatible with older hardware. Moving to High Sierra is going to require a new computer. Thanks for the info. Wish whomever put those requirements in the plugin would have kept those of us with older hardware in mind.

Posted on
Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:05 pm
FlyingDiver offline

greenhornet wrote:
UGH. The server is running on an older Mac mini. I've specifically seen mention from the devs in the past that they want to keep Indigo compatible with older hardware. Moving to High Sierra is going to require a new computer. Thanks for the info. Wish whomever put those requirements in the plugin would have kept those of us with older hardware in mind.

It's not the plugin developer's choice. The NOAA server is now requiring a more up to date SSL connection, which requires a more recent OS. Almost any plugin that connects to a cloud service is going to run into this sooner or later. NOAA is actually one of the last that I know of to do so.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:09 pm
DaveL17 offline

Your frustration is totally understandable, but it's a security requirement that flows from the data provider (NOAA) to the Mac's operating system. It's not a requirement of the plugin and--as far as I know--there's nothing that Matt & Jay can do about it. I think the only possible solution would be for Apple to update TLS support for older operating systems, which they are likely not going to do.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:18 pm
FlyingDiver offline

DaveL17 wrote:
Your frustration is totally understandable, but it's a security requirement that flows from the data provider (NOAA) to the Mac's operating system. It's not a requirement of the plugin and--as far as I know--there's nothing that Matt & Jay can do about it. I think the only possible solution would be for Apple to update TLS support for older operating systems, which they are likely not going to do.

Actually it's worse than that, they did update the old OSes, but they didn't update the included Python libraries to match. People have tried manually updating the libraries on the older systems, with some success, but it's difficult and prone to breaking things.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:10 pm
DaveL17 offline

Thanks for clarifying that. It's true that the core OS will probably still work (depending on how old it is).

Posted on
Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:41 am
kw123 offline

The plugin could be changed to use curl Instead of python requests
That has the proper tls version

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:25 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

We do attempt to support older Macs as much as possible. However, as has been pointed out, when the underlying Python and/or macOS version doesn't support a feature like updated TLS/SSL security, there's nothing we can do about it. This particular issue has been building as security on the internet has progressed but Apple's support for it in older OS versions has lagged. The only fix is to upgrade macOS to a version that supports it - High Sierra or later specifically.

The High Sierra system requirements are pretty liberal - basically any Mac made since 2010. We do want to support older hardware as much as we can, but there are limits.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:57 pm
greenhornet offline

I appreciate the responses here guys and I understand the reasons. but just think about the logic behind what we're talking about for a second. Internet security transmission requirements are being increased to be able to pull weather data.... Weather data. Publicly available weather data.

Posted on
Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:07 am
FlyingDiver offline

greenhornet wrote:
I appreciate the responses here guys and I understand the reasons. but just think about the logic behind what we're talking about for a second. Internet security transmission requirements are being increased to be able to pull weather data.... Weather data. Publicly available weather data.

It's not the weather data itself that's the issue, it's your data. The changes protect both ends of the link. Like who's requesting data for what location.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:20 am
scs offline

this plugin appears to be failing on my system as well . It's been bulletproof since I started using it with Indigo 6....I use it to turn on a heater to keep chicken water from freezing when the temp dips below 31 degrees.

this morning, it's 20 degrees in Raleigh, NC and the chick water is frozen.
The NOAA plugin temp showed 43

My system runs Mac OS Catalina and Indigo 2021.2

Here's the log entry when I restarted it
Jan 22, 2022 at 9:06:57 AM
Warning process (pid 2511) failed to quit after polite request -- forcing it to quit now
Stopped plugin "NOAA Weather 2021.1.0"
Starting plugin "NOAA Weather 2021.1.0" (pid 23113)
Started plugin "NOAA Weather 2021.1.0"
Trigger Chick water and palm heat on
Sent INSTEON "Chicken Coop ApplianceLinc" on

No entries in the log for the plugin other than when it started on Jan 7 as PID 2511 (that's when I upgraded to 2021.2) .
Any other place I should be looking ?

Indigo 2022.2 w/ Insteon and Z-Wave lights and outlets
Security integration.
Energy monitoring

Posted on
Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:01 am
scs offline

it looks like it's not updating . I used the "rt-click >print device details to event log " and the newest data is from 06:51 (it's 0955 here )

Jan 22, 2022 at 9:50:57 AM <- log entry time
Script address : KRDU
batteryLevel : None
buttonGroupCount : 0
configured : True
description : Virtual weather station
deviceTypeId : station
displayStateId : temperatureString
displayStateImageSel : TemperatureSensor
displayStateValRaw : 20.0 F (-6.7 C)
displayStateValUi : 20.0 F (-6.7 C)
enabled : True
energyAccumBaseTime : None
energyAccumTimeDelta : None
energyAccumTotal : None
energyCurLevel : None
errorState :
folderId : 0
globalProps : MetaProps : (dict)
com.perceptiveautomation.indigoplugin.NOAAWeather : (dict)
address : KRDU (string)
id : 1830850739
lastChanged : 2022-01-22 09:48:52
lastSuccessfulComm : 2022-01-22 09:48:52 <-------------------- Appears to be communicating according to this
model : Weather Station
name : NOAA Weather
ownerProps : com.perceptiveautomation.indigoplugin.NOAAWeather : (dict)
address : KRDU (string)
pluginId : com.perceptiveautomation.indigoplugin.NOAAWeather
pluginProps : emptyDict : (dict)
protocol : Plugin
remoteDisplay : True
sharedProps : com.indigodomo.indigoserver : (dict)
states : States : (dict)
currentCondition : Mostly Cloudy (string)
currentConditionIcon : nbkn (string)
dewPointC : -10.6 (string)
dewPointF : 12.9 (string)
dewPointString : 12.9 F (-10.6 C) (string)
heatIndexC : - data unavailable - (string)
heatIndexF : - data unavailable - (string)
heatIndexString : - data unavailable - (string)
humidity : 74 (string)
latitude : 35.89223 (string)
location : Raleigh / Durham, Raleigh-Durham International Airport, NC (string)
longitude : -78.78185 (string)
observationDate : Sat, 22 Jan 2022 06:51:00 -0500 (string) <------------------------
pressureInches : 30.36 (string)
pressureMillibars : 1028.6 (string)
temperatureC : -6.7 (string)
temperatureF : 20.0 (string)
temperatureString : 20.0 F (-6.7 C) (string)
visibility : 10.00 (string)
windDegrees : 20 (string)
windDirection : North (string)
windKnots : 5 (string)
windMPH : 5.8 (string)
windString : North at 5.8 MPH (5 KT) (string)
subModel :
subType :
supportsAllLightsOnOff : False
supportsAllOff : False
supportsStatusRequest : False
version : None

Maybe they have some sort of problem on their end???
what's the frequency that this plugin updates it's data ?

Indigo 2022.2 w/ Insteon and Z-Wave lights and outlets
Security integration.
Energy monitoring

Posted on
Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:32 am
DaveL17 offline

Based on a cursory look at the plugin code, it looks like each weather station is updated every 30 minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Posted on
Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:08 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

NOAA only updates the values once an hour. We update them every 30 minutes to at most the data is 30 minutes out of date.

I just got an update for my station. My guess is that your specified station isn't reporting updates to NOAA. That can happen if they have hardware failures, network failures, etc. They are pretty reliable but issues do happen.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn