[ANSWERED] Can the plugin rebuild the variable list?

Posted on
Thu May 29, 2014 2:34 am
HowmaNoid offline

[ANSWERED] Can the plugin rebuild the variable list?

I've been using the included NOAA Weather plugin for a while. For some stupid reason today I deleted the folder containing all the variables that the plugin updates. Now I cannot find any way to get those variables recreated. Does anyone have a solution?

Thanks

Howard

Posted on
Thu May 29, 2014 4:13 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Can the plugin rebuild the variable list?

Hi Howard,

The plugin actually doesn't update variables at all. The old NOAA AppleScript technique did, but for the new NOAA plugin all of the weather information is stored inside of device states -- not variable values.

You can mirror device states into variable values if you want, but you have to create a Device State Change trigger type for each one you want mirrored and then use the action type Variable Actions -> Insert Device State into Variable. That normally isn't needed though since device states can be inspected on Control Pages and used in conditionals (just like variable values).

Posted on
Thu May 29, 2014 5:08 pm
HowmaNoid offline

Re: [ANSWERED] Can the plugin rebuild the variable list?

Hey Matt

Thanks for explaining. I did play around with the old script so that must be where the variables came from. Maybe you can advise me on the best path to take here. I'm trying to get a spoken weather update for the day triggered by the motion detected after sun up. I was going to use AirFoil and the "pause and speak" feature in the iTunes plugin with variable substitution for temp, wind conditions, etc. With the new functionality of the NOAA plugin, what's the bet way to go about implementing something like that?

Thanks again!

H

Posted on
Thu May 29, 2014 6:45 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

The Pause Playback and Speak Text action will also let you do device state substitution. So once you know the device ID for your NOAA Weather device (right-click on it in the device table to copy its ID), you can do a substitutions like:

%%d:123456:temperatureF
%%d:123456:humidity
%%d:123456:windMPG
%%d:123456:windDirection
%%d:123456:currentCondition

where 123456 is the device ID for your NOAA device.

Posted on
Thu May 29, 2014 6:50 pm
HowmaNoid offline

Thanks again Matt. Much appreciate your help!

Best

H

Page 1 of 1