"Communication with the plugin timed out." Running Big Sur

Posted on
Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:19 pm
bulldogarf offline

"Communication with the plugin timed out." Running Big Sur

I've gone through the other posts regarding this plugin but I'm seeing some conflicting situations and wondering more about this topic. Since upgrading to a new machine (Mac mini, M1) and upgraded Indigo to the latest release, I've not been able to get the plugin to work consistently. I instead get the "Communication with the plugin timed out." response every time.

I've looked into using the iTunes Local Control plugin, but since it relies upon the Perceptive Automation iTunes plugin, didn't expect it to work. Yet, I see a forum post where the iTunes Local Control plugin IS working on Catalina and Big Sur after an update. At this point, I don't know if there are any options within Indigo or any plugins to control the Music app.

I know that I can create another solution by sending simple Python scripts to Keyboard Maestro, which in turn can send control commands to Music. What it can't do, however, is read the track info, which the Indigo plugin was always able to do. I use that info in the mobile and web app and for other purposes.

Any thoughts or feedback from anyone regarding this entire topic?

Posted on
Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:59 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: "Communication with the plugin timed out." Running Big S

Unfortunately, it looks like the reverse-engineered solution upon which the plugin was built has been broken by Apple. I don't believe that this will ever get fixed unfortunately.

The iTunes Local Control plugin does not rely on the iTunes plugin, so you should check that out.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Page 1 of 1