Can't automate iTunes Radio

Posted on
Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:34 pm
JGTracy offline

Can't automate iTunes Radio

I stream music throughout my house for 16 hours a day via Airfoil usually using the in-line input from a local radio station. Occasionally, but automatically, Indigo switches the source to an internet radio station. If I want to listen to a playlist, I can do that using the iTunes remote on my iPhone.
I have not been able to automate playing a streaming track from iTunes Radio. I have been able to get script to select the Radio as a source but not select the "station" either by name or URL. I can't even select the "iTunes Radio station" via the iTunes remote. If I could, it would be <grumble> ok. Does anyone have a script that will select and play an iTunes Radio station?

Posted on
Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:14 pm
bullsim offline

Re: Can't automate iTunes Radio

This is very dirty, but you can call an AppleScript and do this. (execute script)

Code: Select all
tell application "iTunes" to open location "http://open.live.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/5/select/mediaset/http-icy-mp3-a/vpid/bbc_radio_two/format/pls.pls"

this works!

Posted on
Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:49 pm
bkmar1192 offline

I think you are referring to iTunes Radio and not internet radio.

What I used to do (I stopped because I changed how I play stations and just haven't gone back to re-implement iTunes Radio) was if you play an iTunes station from your phone you can iMessage that station to another person. The URL will launch safari and then play that station in iTunes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:04 am
JGTracy offline

I'm giving up on iTunes Radio. Attempts to get a URL seem to only get the currently playing song. The "Internet Radio" section of iTunes can be easily automated. It lists 1,000s of internet radio stations. The work is in finding the few stations that I would like to listen to. Fortunately, those stations can be easily placed in a playlist and found easily for automating or just listening to in the future.

Page 1 of 1