Do I need AirFoil if I want to output to AirPlay?

Posted on
Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:49 am
416to305 offline

Do I need AirFoil if I want to output to AirPlay?

I have iTunes on the Mac that has Indigo, and then I have 4 Airport Express stations in the house for streaming music. I realize that from the Mac I can select audio output to all or some of them, but can I do that from Indigo as well or does that require Airfoil? So wanted to use a KPL to cycle between active music zones etc. Just wanted to check if Airfoil is needed, as it's ONLY iTunes that I want to play or control, where as I've always thought of Airfoil as being more for when you want to stream Chrome or other apps over AirPlay which I don't want to do. I just didn't see any control in the iTunes plugin that says anything about change speakers etc so wanted to check before I buy Airfoil. Thanks!

Posted on
Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:22 am
OnnoH offline

Re: Do I need AirFoil if I want to output to AirPlay?

According to me you can Applescript your Airplay devices. But my experience is that it's painstakingly slow :cry:

Airfoil does a better job.

Posted on
Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:06 pm
416to305 offline

Great thanks! I'll get AirFoil, it's not that expensive I just always thought it was more for non iTunes audio when all I want is iTunes.

Posted on
Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:23 am
Richard offline

Late posting but may help someone else. If you only want to play from your iTunes library I used the remote app that you can download for ATV, you can link the app to your iTunes library not sure if it will work with Airport Express but does a great device in my cast having ATV thru out my house and also you can send the signal to all devices or whatever ATV device you want. What I enjoy is the simple process of volume control and selecting what playlist or songs to be heard.

Posted on
Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:28 pm
Marty offline

I am just starting out and have used the ATV remote app too - it does a pretty good job if all you want to do is pipe iTunes to AirPlay devices.

As soon as you want to stream other content (Spotify etc) you will need AirFoil. I also use it to pipe system sounds to my AirPlay devices for Announcing events etc which can be pretty fun. "Excuse me Marty, someone is approaching the front door". Not sure if I can still achieve that without AirFoil or not. Am still learning thanks to the fine folks on these forums. :)

Page 1 of 1