iTunes vs Music

Posted on
Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:22 am
jltnol offline

iTunes vs Music

So just curious... from what I can tell, there is no way to use the old iOS iTunes Remote with the new Apple Desktop Music app. I'm guessing the Indigo iTunes plugin uses the same mechanism to control iTunes, which is now missing from Music... So, for the moment, no Indigo control of the new Music app, yes ?

Posted on
Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:39 pm
PME999 offline

Re: iTunes vs Music

Hello
I installed Catalina in one of my mac. After setting the sharing for multimedia, the remote apps works again with Music but my Indigo Plugin doesn't. I will continue to try but I suspect there something different that don't work with the plugin.
Some other informations ?
Thanks
Patrice

Posted on
Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:21 pm
jltnol offline

Well, I'll be! Glad you were able to get this part to work. I was positive Apple was just not going to implement this in the new Music.

I know getting Indigo to work with it is going to take more work... but at least this part works.

Thanks for the tip and heads up!

Posted on
Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:32 pm
jltnol offline

Oooops.

May have spoken too soon. While I can see the library in the iOS Remote app, and can see the songs and playlist.... I can't start, stop, pause, or select which songs to play. When I click on the Now Playing pane, it says. "Not Playing" even tho its really playing..

Posted on
Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:37 pm
LSpad offline

Are there any plans to update the iTunes plugin for Catalina/Music support? I must say this caught me off guard when updating and I'm left with a load of action groups and triggers that are no longer functional!

Posted on
Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:09 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

The iTunes plugin used a reverse-engineered library for communicating with iTunes. Since iTunes no longer exists (it was replaced by the Music app which Apple ported from iOS), this plugin can't work because there is no iTunes running on Catalina. Note that the plugin will continue to work talking to iTunes on other Macs running Mojave or earlier - but since iTunes doesn't exist on Catalina...

Apple has never officially published an API for controlling iTunes from other apps or devices, and it has not yet supplied an API for controlling the new Music app (and honestly we don't think they ever will). So, bottom line is that this plugin will likely never work again since iTunes is no more.

It's possible that the 3rd party iTunes Local Control plugin could be updated to work (since I believe it used AppleScript) but it would be up to that developer to implement that support.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:15 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Just an FYI, it's not just this plugin: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250716452

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Page 1 of 1