sourcePlayStatus always "unavailable"

Posted on
Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:59 am
Different Computers offline

sourcePlayStatus always "unavailable"

I'm trying to insert sourcePlayStatus into a variable, and it always shows as "unavailable." thought I was doing something wrong, but I checked the Music device created by the plugin and even there the sourcePlayStatus is "unavailable".

Every other thing I try with the iTunes Local Control plugin works. Is this a limitation of the newer versions of Apple Music?

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:04 am
jltnol offline

Re: sourcePlayStatus always "unavailable"

So I assume you are talking about the AirFoil plugin? If so, I don't think it's worked for awhile. Apple has made so many changes between the long procession of iTunes up to the current version of Music.. so many changes that the original iTunes plugin doesn't even work anymore.

Originally, I was using Airfoil just to connect different speakers and control the volume, but with the demise of the iTunes Plugin, I've relied on it more to populate Title/Artist/Album info thru Indigo. Playing status would be nice to have. FYI, I've set up a Control Page and have leveraged controls from AirFoil to control Music(FF, RR, Play, Pause) but haven't figured out a way to indicate play status. My main music collection is not on the Indigo Server so I can't fully use the Local iTunes control for much.

Posted on
Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:18 pm

My apologies-- @jltnol is right. "Airfoil Instance" is right there, but I didn't notice it and thought it was part of the iTunes Local Control plugin.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Sat Sep 10, 2022 11:10 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

The Airfoil API does't provide play status. It got that through the iTunes plugin, which no longer works. It does get track information, etc. Never really understood that about their API, but in any event that's the deal.

[MODERATOR NOTE]: moved to the Airfoil Pro forum.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sat Sep 10, 2022 3:47 pm

Thanks Jay. I feared something like this was the answer.

Anyone got a workaround? I immediately start thinking of Automator actions....Edit: Looks more like AppleScript into a shell script.

Posted on
Tue Sep 13, 2022 2:31 pm
jltnol offline

So I'm SURE there would be an easier way to make this work... and I am by no means an expert at this... but one solution would be look at Homebridge. There is a Music app plugin, that I'm guessing can do a bunch of stuff, but does have a simple switch for "on" and "off", which appears to be on while playing, and off when not playing. The Music app can be open and nothing playing, and Homebridge switch will show as "off". Obviously, you'll need to link Homebridge to Apple's Home app.

From there, it should be pretty trivial to create a device in Indigo (I've been using X-10 switches for this purpose...on or off, and don't require a 'real' device to work), populate that X-10 device thru HomeKit LInk Siri app into Apple's Home app. Next, set up a simple automation in the Home app. When the Homebridge Music switch is ON, have the Home app turn on your ghost X10 switch, which in turn will send that info back into Indigo. And when the Homebridge switch is off, automate the Home app to turn off your X-10 device, which will send that info back into Indigo as well.

As I said, I'm sure there is an easier way to make this work, but this would give you info as to play status.

Posted on
Tue Sep 13, 2022 5:21 pm

Great idea! I've already done something similar with some Nanoleaf bulbs that aren't in Indigo.

Posted on
Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:30 am
jltnol offline

Like you, I've got a few devices that I can't control directly in Indigo, namely an LG TV.

I also have an action group to set the lights for movie watching, and another group for resetting the lights after the movie is over. The X-10 trick allows me to simply say "Hey Siri, turn the movie on".... and "Hey Siri, turn the movie off". On activates one Action Group, and Off activates another.

Page 1 of 1