Multiple inputs played on specific speakers

Posted on
Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:51 am
jroach offline

Multiple inputs played on specific speakers

Might not be the appropriate area but was hoping to find somebody that has used Indigo to coordinate playback of multiple outputs to specific speakers.

Example:

Input 1 - Spotify, plays on speakers connected to amps (Denon, McIntosh, Yamaha). Two amps are using internal wifi and the Yamaha is using Apples AX
Input 2 - File on Mac mini that plays sound effect loop; birds, water, etc on wireless speakers (Sonos)

Posted on
Sat Apr 23, 2022 2:56 pm
jroach offline

Re: Multiple inputs played on specific speakers

I heard back from Airfoil; it is something people have asked about but doesn't exist in current versions.
Would need a second mac mini to pull it off.

Posted on
Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:51 am
ryanbuckner offline

jroach wrote:
I heard back from Airfoil; it is something people have asked about but doesn't exist in current versions.
Would need a second mac mini to pull it off.

I'm not an Airfoil user (anymore) but the Sonos plugin can help with your 2nd input.

Posted on
Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:54 am
jroach offline

Ryan, thanks. I love these forums for this reason...I get so focused on a solution and miss the obvious. I'll try that plugin and report back.

Posted on
Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:35 am
jroach offline

Ryan, I seem to be having a problem with the plugin itself (1.0.17). I must have added it a few years back but disabled it. When I try to enable I get an error that the developer can't be verified.
I've deleted and reinstalled with the same results. The link to the developer no longer works so I'm assuming Nick has retired. Am I using the wrong plug-in?

Posted on
Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:37 am
ryanbuckner offline

jroach wrote:
Ryan, I seem to be having a problem with the plugin itself (1.0.17). I must have added it a few years back but disabled it. When I try to enable I get an error that the developer can't be verified.
I've deleted and reinstalled with the same results. The link to the developer no longer works so I'm assuming Nick has retired. Am I using the wrong plug-in?

He's currently updating the plugin to work with Python3, so hopefully that will get you back and running.

Posted on
Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:48 am
jroach offline

Thanks

Posted on
Sun Apr 24, 2022 1:41 pm
jltnol offline

So not sure if this will help with your situation, but I've got multiple speakers connected via AirPlay, and my 2 main music sources are the Indigo Server, and my "workhorse" computer in the office. 95% of what I listen to starts with the office computer and is sent out via AirFoil to different combinations of speakers.

But I also have AirFoil installed on the Indigo Server, and could, in theory, stream completely different audio from it to any combo of speakers not in use by the office computer.

The other way to think of this would be to use Apple's Music App and its built-in Air Play to send music to the speakers you want, then use QT Player to stream your 2nd source, using AirFoil with QT as the source to send to other speakers. I can't think of any reason why this wouldn't wok on a single computer, but haven't actually tried it.

Posted on
Sun Apr 24, 2022 3:42 pm
jroach offline

jltnol, Brilliant suggestion!
I tested it and it works...I was able to play music from Spotify to the Airfoil Speakers while simultaneously playing sound effects to a sonos speaker using Apple's music on the same computer.
Next step is to figure out how to launch this from Indigo.
Any ideas...I'm all ears:)

Posted on
Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:35 am
jltnol offline

Assuming you are running all this from your Indigo Server computer, you should check out the "iTunes Local Control" plugin. It leverages AppleScript so shouldn't become obsolete anytime soon. That will take care of part of your issue. The other part may involve some degree of scripting... either Python or a Shell Script. the other option might be to try Apple's Automator, and then EPS Mac Commander Plugin to fire that Automator when necessary.

I'm not a python guy but have cobbled together some basic scripts so I might be able to help with that with a bit more information.

Posted on
Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:41 pm
jroach offline

jltnol, thanks..and very kind of you to offer.
Having a little difficulty with keeping both stream going. I'm thinking of hardwiring the Orbi satellite to eliminate a wireless element.
Back to you soon

Posted on
Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:07 pm
jltnol offline

Yep.

All of my entertainment gear is hard wired. Nothing is on WiFi.

Page 1 of 1