Best way to send data to Indigo over the internet?

Posted on
Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:50 pm
six50joe offline

Best way to send data to Indigo over the internet?

I'm looking at hacking around a bit to accomplish a certain task. What I'm trying to do is have my iPhone send certain data over the internet, and have the data available to action scripts in Indigo.

Off the top of my head, the way I've thought of to do it is:

* Create an iPhone app that sends the data I'm interested in to the mac running Indigo server, via a TCP socket
* Create a program on the mac that runs in the background. It listens on a port and accepts incoming connections. When the iPhone app connects, it reads a packet, and based on the value in it, it writes a true/false status to a file.
* Create an Indigo action that does something conditional on the true/false status in the file.

Is there a simpler way to accomplish this task?

Thanks in advance,
Joe

Posted on
Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:31 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Best way to send data to Indigo over the internet?

Well, without knowing/understanding what the data is and how it's entered on your iPhone it's kinda hard to say. For instance, if you are entering the data manually, you could just manually enter it into an Indigo variable in Indigo Touch.

If you have to programmatically send it, then you could build an IWS plugin (which doesn't currently use the IOM but works great as a way to get data into Indigo) that would accept an HTTP GET/POST and insert data into an Indigo variable.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Page 1 of 1