Anyone getting their forum password "hacked"?

Posted on
Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:04 pm
dstrickler offline

Anyone getting their forum password "hacked"?

Call me a newbie, but check out this warning from the forum. I've gotten it twice in the last 2 days. I've been using the forum for the last 2 months, and I've never seen it. And before you ask "have you forgotten your password", no, I haven't, and I've never gotten a "bad username/password combo, please try again" type of message - I log in perfectly each time. Except now I am getting this (screen shot attached).

This fix seems to be to click "I forgot my password", and let it reset your password. However, I get this error 24hrs later, and regardless of how I enter the Captcha, I can't get in until I give it a "I forgot my password".

Anyone else getting this?

Perceptive Automation - User Control Panel - Login.jpg
Perceptive Automation - User Control Panel - Login.jpg (17.29 KiB) Viewed 2264 times

Dave

Posted on
Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:40 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Anyone getting their forum password "hacked"?

I've actually gotten the message twice the last couple of days as well. Based on this forum thread we aren't the only ones experiencing this hack attempts.

Now would be a good time to make sure you have a solid hard-to-guess password. Example of a bad password:

Code: Select all
abc123

Example of a strong password:

Code: Select all
noOne84193shouldGuessThis8141aeiouAndSometimesY

:-)

I don't use it, but you can also use something like a random password card.

Posted on
Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:59 am
dstrickler offline

Re: Anyone getting their forum password "hacked"?

Yup, it looks like the hackers are trolling, but this one isn't about them guessing my password, it's about them trying to guess it.

As long as it's not just me, I'll just deal with it. If it's the patterns I have seen in the past, they will soon leave and move onto their next target.

And yes, my passwords are very secure. I used to run an email security company, so I'm a little anal about long, unique passwords. And I don't keep them in my wallet ;-)

Dave

Page 1 of 1