Control pages and image format

Posted on
Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:49 pm
gregjsmith offline

Control pages and image format

I'm revisiting using webcams with my control pages and I vaguely remember having a problem before with image file formats. It looks like both evocam and security spy only output .jpg and Indigo will only display .png.

Has anyone figured out a way around this?

Posted on
Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:07 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Control pages and image format

I'm not sure it is going to be possible (especially to update the images periodically) in Indigo 4.x, at least not without some moderate modification to the python code and templates. We are doing some internal work to hopefully make this more plausible in Indigo 5.0.

Posted on
Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:36 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Workaround if you're not updating images that frequently - have Evocam or Security Spy save the image into a folder that has a folder action associated with it that would convert the image to PNG and move it to the right place...

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:10 am
gregjsmith offline

jay wrote:
Workaround if you're not updating images that frequently - have Evocam or Security Spy save the image into a folder that has a folder action associated with it that would convert the image to PNG and move it to the right place...

I remember now, I tried this before trying to get this to work with automator with no luck. I swear there was a thread on this already.

Any reason Indigo won't display jpgs?

Posted on
Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:44 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

gregjsmith wrote:
Any reason Indigo won't display jpgs?

It likely will in a future version. PNGs were supported first because they support the alpha transparency needed to render controls images well.

Posted on
Wed May 12, 2010 11:43 am
mikeL offline

support wrote:
I'm not sure it is going to be possible (especially to update the images periodically) in Indigo 4.x, at least not without some moderate modification to the python code and templates. We are doing some internal work to hopefully make this more plausible in Indigo 5.0.

So, there is no way currently to update control pages with images that change periodically. When will this be possible? Has anyone successfully modified the python code, as you suggested, to do this in the meantime?

I have security images from the iSight cameras on several Macs around my house feeding into a DropBox folder and then into the images directory of the Indigo web server, but there's no way to view these images dynamically on an Indigo control page. BTW, I'm using a free unix shell app called isightcapture to get the images--this can be called from AS using do shell script and takes arguments that specify the format of the output image, e.g., png, the horizontal and vertical dimensions in pixels and the destination file path. Works very well.
Code: Select all
--Capture image
do shell script "/Applications/isightcapture -t png -w 240 -h 180 " & (POSIX path of (imageFilePath as text))

Mike

Posted on
Wed May 12, 2010 12:02 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

mikeL wrote:
So, there is no way currently to update control pages with images that change periodically.

Correct, not without modifying the Python code. I cannot recall anyone having done this yet.
When will this be possible?

Most likely in Indigo 5.0, but we have not yet announced when it will be available. It is still pretty far out.

Page 1 of 1