Using an Iphone to control Indigo pro using the internet

Posted on
Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:50 pm
rob offline

Using an Iphone to control Indigo pro using the internet

I am quite disappointed to find out that I can only use my Iphone to access the Indigo pro system at home when my apple computer is running the Indigo software. I realize I did read the information about the Indigo software well enough but leaving my MAC on all the time for this purpose is not a good idea either. Any software solutions available to connect the SMART LINC to the MAC ?

Thank you

Robert

Posted on
Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:56 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Using an Iphone to control Indigo pro using the internet

I don't believe any software can upload logic or timers to the SmartLinc -- you have to use its Web UI to do everything. SmartLabs has not released any type of protocol document that details how an application like Indigo could upload logic or timers; it may not be possible at all with the current SmartLincs, I'm not sure.

Indigo can upload very basic logic and timers to the 2414U for Mac-less operation, but of course that doesn't support Wi-Fi or Internet access.

Depending on what type of Mac you have, you might be surprised at how power efficient it is to leave it on and running. They can use quite a few watts when they are processing and the display is on, but the Mac Mini for example is pretty efficient when it is idle which would be the case 99% of the time if you were just running Indigo.

Edit: just saw you mentioned a Mac pro... I'm not sure how many watts those draw when idle.

Posted on
Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:03 pm
seanadams offline

(No subject)

Mac Mini is perfect for a home server as it's nearly silent and uses only 13 watts when idle. If you have a spare Macbook you could put to the task, it will also have similarly low power usage.

The Mac Pro on the other hand is a real hog - it uses TEN TIMES as much even when doing nothing!

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3468
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2836

One of these might be a good investment for you: http://www.p3international.com/products ... 00-CE.html

Posted on
Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:37 pm
anode offline

(No subject)

I have no issue with the iphone Indigo client being an indigo client.

The smartlinc option looks good on paper, but since Indigo can go well beyond the smartlinc's abilities........

Posted on
Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:41 am
Martijn Heeroma offline

(No subject)

That we can do Indigo on our IPhone is just great,
I waited more then 20 years for it ;)

Posted on
Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:14 pm
pletourneau offline

Indigo and iPhone work great

I love having my Mac Mini at home running Indigo. I have a dynamic hostname that I tap into using the iPhone client, so I have seamless control of everything both from inside the home and/or anywhere I have my iPhone with me.

Phil.

Page 1 of 1