script on startup shuts down the server

Posted on
Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:11 am
pboshoff offline

script on startup shuts down the server

I created a script that is supposed to run every hour and reboot the IndigoServer, as it seems to cause my iMac to freeze up every few hours.

However, now it seems to be running this script immediately on startup and disconnects from the server. So I cannot get into Indigo to delete the script.

Is there some way I could use a script to launch Indigo and tell it not to run the scripts or to delete the offending script.

I cannot get to the scripts folder, as IndigoServer needs to be running to access it. I also can't seem to get at it using the Finder

PLEASE HELP SOMEONE!

Regards
Peter

Posted on
Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:35 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: script on startup shuts down the server

Hi Peter,
pboshoff wrote:
I created a script that is supposed to run every hour and reboot the IndigoServer, as it seems to cause my iMac to freeze up every few hours.

IndigoServer should definitely not be causing your iMac to freeze. If you think that is the case, then we need to troubleshoot some more into this to see what is going on. There are no open reports of Indigo causing any type of system global freeze. Normally when this occurs it ends up being a hardware problem (CPU or memory) or a corrupt system that needs to be in reinstalled. Rarely it turns out to be a hardware/PowerLinc issue. IndigoServer itself shouldn't be able to cause a global hang. An incorrectly written AppleScript might be able to chew up a bunch of memory and CPU cycles though.
pboshoff wrote:
However, now it seems to be running this script immediately on startup and disconnects from the server.

So when IndigoServer launches it causes a Trigger Action to fire that immediately quits IndigoServer? If this is the case and you cannot get that Trigger Action deleted before it fires, then email me (indigo-support AT perceptiveautomation.com) your database file and tell me what the Trigger Action name is. I'll delete it by hand and send it back to you.
pboshoff wrote:
I cannot get to the scripts folder, as IndigoServer needs to be running to access it. I also can't seem to get at it using the Finder

Why can you not get to it from the Finder? The scripts can live anywhere, but by default it might be in here:
Code: Select all
/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 4/Scripts/

Posted on
Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:10 pm
pboshoff offline

MAC still freezing

Been busy and away.

Back to this subject. I have removed all scripts and reinstalled Indigo.

It is definitely Indigo server that is causing the freeze. I stopped the Indigo server and left the machine running for 4 weeks while I was away on a trip. I constantly used LogMeIn to connect remotely and work on the MAC and it was fine. Returned last night and this morning started up Indigo again. Within about 5 hours - MAC froze.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Pieter

Posted on
Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:50 am
anode offline

(No subject)

I'm confused on the rebooting the indigo server every hour. Why?

Posted on
Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:59 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: MAC still freezing

Hello Pieter,
pboshoff wrote:
Within about 5 hours - MAC froze.

Define what you mean by frozen: could you switch to any other applicaitons? kernel panic? did the mouse freeze? etc.

Does Indigo's Event Log files show anything errors around the time of the freeze? Are there any crash log files?

Indigo Server is a user space application and should not be able to freeze your entire Mac. We have zero reports of this happening besides this one. Previous reports of system wide hangs have all turned out to be: bad memory, bad CPU, old hardware driver, bad USB to serial adapter, bad USB cable, bad power line interface, or corrupt OS.

What happens if you unplug your power line interface (CM11/PowerLinc) from the Mac and run Indigo Server? Does it freeze then?

Page 1 of 1