Running Indigo on a NetGear ReadyNAS Duo

Posted on
Sat May 09, 2009 11:34 am
FogCityNative offline

Running Indigo on a NetGear ReadyNAS Duo

Netgear has released a product that finally makes having a server at home almost practical. While it is primarily a NAS device, there is a published set of specs for developers to use to have their server apps run on the NetGear ReadyNAS.

Right now, there are third party community developed PHP add-ons, and things like Bit Torrent and Firefly run native on the NAS. But the Netgear interface has a method to easily load programs onto the NAS. It is really designed for non-programmers and non-hackers like me. Load the BIN file and launch the interface and it just works.

I have never tried to implement the Indigo Web Server because it needs a dedicated, always on Mac CPU to host the server and I use a laptop that may not always be in my house.

So, any plans from Indigo or the Indigo community to move the webserver to something like the NetGear ReadyNAS?? The ReadyNAS has like 4 USB ports, so it could then connect directly to a Insteon controller and be always on.

Posted on
Sat May 09, 2009 1:24 pm
bschollnick2 offline

Re: Running Indigo on a NetGear ReadyNAS Duo

FogCityNative wrote:
Netgear has released a product that finally makes having a server at home almost practical. While it is primarily a NAS device, there is a published set of specs for developers to use to have their server apps run on the NetGear ReadyNAS.

Right now, there are third party community developed PHP add-ons, and things like Bit Torrent and Firefly run native on the NAS. But the Netgear interface has a method to easily load programs onto the NAS. It is really designed for non-programmers and non-hackers like me. Load the BIN file and launch the interface and it just works.

So, any plans from Indigo or the Indigo community to move the webserver to something like the NetGear ReadyNAS?? The ReadyNAS has like 4 USB ports, so it could then connect directly to a Insteon controller and be always on.

I can't speak for Matt / Perceptive Automation... But there is a severe issue here...

The Web Server probably could run on something else... But the web server is just one portion of Indigo. The Indigo server, itself, probably can't run on something else without severe reduction in functionality....

The server needs to be able to communicate with the PLC, which I don't think a NAS box will allow... Sure you can run the web server on the NAS, but if you still have a Mac running the server, why not run both off the Mac?

I'm not sure that I see an advantage here....

Posted on
Sat May 09, 2009 1:58 pm
FogCityNative offline

bschollnick2 wrote:
FogCityNative wrote:

I can't speak for Matt / Perceptive Automation... But there is a severe issue here...

The Web Server probably could run on something else... But the web server is just one portion of Indigo. The Indigo server, itself, probably can't run on something else without severe reduction in functionality....

The server needs to be able to communicate with the PLC, which I don't think a NAS box will allow... Sure you can run the web server on the NAS, but if you still have a Mac running the server, why not run both off the Mac?

I'm not sure that I see an advantage here....

I have a small condo loft, not a big house. I get by just fine with the Indigo Lite . . . what I really would like to do is control my Indigo over the iPhone, so that I don't have to buy and program so many hand held Insteon controllers.

I have A Sonos Digital Music System and they came out with a iPhone controller, saving the need to buy their $300 thumbwheel controller.

So, maybe I don't need all the features of the web server, just a way to run scenes or control individual Insteon devices using my iPhone.

Sure, I could buy a Mac mini and bury it in a closet somehwere and use it for other things besides running an always on Indigo Server, such as SlingBox or a media server. But that seems like overkill.

Posted on
Sat May 09, 2009 3:25 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

FogCityNative wrote:
I have a small condo loft, not a big house. I get by just fine with the Indigo Lite . . . what I really would like to do is control my Indigo over the iPhone, so that I don't have to buy and program so many hand held Insteon controllers.

I have A Sonos Digital Music System and they came out with a iPhone controller, saving the need to buy their $300 thumbwheel controller.

So, maybe I don't need all the features of the web server, just a way to run scenes or control individual Insteon devices using my iPhone.

Sure, I could buy a Mac mini and bury it in a closet somehwere and use it for other things besides running an always on Indigo Server, such as SlingBox or a media server. But that seems like overkill.

Hi all, I'm (mostly) back from my week off. Fog, Benjamin's point is that to enable Web/iPhone control, not only does the web server need to be running, but also the IndigoServer, which is what talks to the PowerLinc which in turn talks to the INSTEON devices. We'd need to port the IndigoServer to the NAS (which is probably running Linux), which is much more difficult than porting the web stuff.

Having said that, this isn't the first request of that type, and we've had some very preliminary discussions about porting - but nothing to discuss at this point.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sat May 09, 2009 5:46 pm
FogCityNative offline

(No subject)

I'm waiting for the $399 Mac Mini <server> . . . but you are correct, the NetGear ReadyNAS runs Linux. Maybe the Insteon people will build an interface that would allow it to be controlled over Ethernet/WiFi (which is how the Sonos iPhone connection works) . . .

For me, I don't really need to log into my house from outside my house. I just want to use the iPhone like a remote.

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Posted on
Sat May 09, 2009 7:22 pm
jamus offline

(No subject)

FogCityNative wrote:
I'm waiting for the $399 Mac Mini <server> . . . but you are correct, the NetGear ReadyNAS runs Linux. Maybe the Insteon people will build an interface that would allow it to be controlled over Ethernet/WiFi (which is how the Sonos iPhone connection works) . . .

For me, I don't really need to log into my house from outside my house. I just want to use the iPhone like a remote.

Thanks for the prompt reply.

There's a few IP-based controllers:

http://www.smarthome.com/2412N/SmartLin ... ler/p.aspx

http://www.smarthome.com/12231P/ISY-99i ... PLM/p.aspx

http://www.smarthome.com/31279/EZSrve-I ... 10L/p.aspx

Problem is, these devices don't look like they provide the same level of functionality as Indigo.

Posted on
Sat May 09, 2009 7:46 pm
FogCityNative offline

(No subject)

That's the problem in a nutshell; I'd like to use my iPhone and press a single button and have a bunch of dimmers and lamp modules respond to set a scene or control some drapes, etc.

Indigo can do that eaisly, but these IP controllers seemingly can't or are hard to set up, or from the reviews problematic in operation.

Page 1 of 1