*only* control via pop up?

Posted on
Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:16 pm
anode offline

*only* control via pop up?

With th new b8 (figure 4.0 is the same) But on a CP, I have to use the pop up to turn on or off?

None of my CP's seem to work. Looking at the CP 'program' seems like it needs a client action, and just a plain toggle isn't there.

(please say no, otherwise I'll down grade to B6. a pop up, to me, seems like excessive step for a toggle of a light)

Posted on
Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:23 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: *only* control via pop up?

The Web based popup slider client action (with on/off buttons) has been deprecated. It didn't look good and only worked with on/off appliance modules and dimmable lights. If you use the client action Popup UI Controls, then in a Browser you get a new Browser window with the controls just for that device. It now works for all Device types (including thermostat and sprinkler). On Indigo Touch it works a bit nicer and give you the popup controls on top of the Control Page itself. Eventually we hope to avoid the new window on the Browser side as well, but that didn't make it into 4.0.

If you just want the click on a control to Toggle a device on and off, then don't use the client action at all. Use the server action popup below that, choose Control Light / Appliance and select the Toggle type.

Posted on
Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:32 pm
anode offline

support wrote:
If you just want the click on a control to Toggle a device on and off, then don't use the client action at all. Use the server action popup below that, choose Control Light / Appliance and select the Toggle type.

The client action was set to none and the server action was toggle, yet when clicking a button, nothing happens, and nothing in the event log.

a pop up for dim value is fine (though a slider would be a bit nicer, but a bit harder to keep in sync I'd think)

Quit update: Just upgraded to 4.0.0 and seems to work. Might have been a reboot fix. (got a little scared for a moment there)

Posted on
Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:04 pm
Cosmuk offline

(No subject)

Is there any chance in the foreseeable future that a device popup window could have some options such as:
A close window button (good for touch panels)
Choice font color or font itself
low res png files or a select set of png files
xy placement and size, relative to the graphic, when it pops up

A popup window could simulate a zoom-in on a device
in a given area.

01010100 01110010 01101001 01110101 01101101 01110000 01101000 <3
(translation: Triumph)
—Mars Phoenix lander

Posted on
Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:54 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

(No subject)

Cosmuk wrote:
Is there any chance in the foreseeable future that a device popup window could have some options such as:

Depends on what your definition of foreseeable is I suppose! ;)

I don't think we'll be making many changes in the 4.0 dot releases to the current web pages. As for 5.0, well, we just finished 4.0 so at this point who knows! :D

Keep in mind that just about everything thats done in the current pages is done with the RESTful APIs, so if you're a web developer, creating some seriously cool pages should be pretty easy now.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:40 pm
Cosmuk offline

(No subject)

Hi Jay,
I'm not sure I understand, could you explain or show an example of your RESTful API suggestion for the popup window?

Posted on
Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:49 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

(No subject)

Cosmuk wrote:
Hi Jay,
I'm not sure I understand, could you explain or show an example of your RESTful API suggestion for the popup window?

Web developers could create their own web site (i.e. web-based AJAX UI or something), and simply call the appropriate APIs on the Indigo server, thereby creating their own custom interface.

Explaining how to create AJAX-based web sites is a little beyond the scope of this forum, but if you're a web developer, the link to those APIs should be sufficient to get you started - if you know python, you could also dig through the IWS code for a lot of examples.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:33 am
Lalit offline

Hi,

support wrote:
The Web based popup slider client action (with on/off buttons) has been deprecated. It didn't look good and only worked with on/off appliance modules and dimmable lights.

I don't understand why it was deprecated ? For me, the popup window was one of the most beautiful feature of the control pages !

I agree that the popup window looks good via Indigo Touch.
I have Indigo Touch since Beta version for a few users and my conclusions are : I use 50 times more control pages via Safari from my laptop than Indigo Touch from my iPhone !!!
I have to unlock the iPhone, enter the code, open Indigo Touch and wait to download the control page.....

Do you understand why I regret the popup window in web browsers ?

I made a mistake today and I downloaded and install the last version of Indigo and I definetely lost the 4.0.0. beta 7. The oldest I keeped wad 4.0.0. beta 8.
Is there any link where I can found once again Beta 7 ? Or is there a way to activate those popup window ?

Thank you very much for your answer !

Lalit

Posted on
Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:14 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Hello Lalit,
Lalit wrote:
I don't understand why it was deprecated ? For me, the popup window was one of the most beautiful feature of the control pages !

There were difficult bugs to fix and it only support basic on/off/dimmable devices. To fix those bugs and add support for complex devices types (thermostat, sprinklers, multi i/o) would have been very difficult / time consuming. The goal is to eventually add the functionality back into (at least as an option) the main browser window (not popup), but it will be a time consuming feature and we haven't heard enough demand yet to warrant the work. Maybe others that want the functionality as well will chime in though and bump it up higher on our priority list.
Do you understand why I regret the popup window in web browsers ?

Can you detail what you dislike about the new technique which opens the controls in a new window?
Is there any link where I can found once again Beta 7 ?

I don't believe it is on the server anymore, but if you need it I can post it again for you.

Posted on
Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:26 am
Lalit offline

Hi,
support wrote:
There were difficult bugs to fix and it only support basic on/off/dimmable devices. To fix those bugs and add support for complex devices types (thermostat, sprinklers, multi i/o) would have been very difficult / time consuming.
I have a lot of respect for your work and I understand that was very complicated for complexes devices. Although I have 40 devices, these are almost on/off & dimmable.
Maybe you can keep the popup window in web browsers for the basic on/off/dimmable devices and open a new window for complexes devices ?

Can you detail what you dislike about the new technique which opens the controls in a new window?
My reasons are esthectics ! Let me explain : I've created a beautiful webpage including a 3D map of my home (view from upper like 2D), with customized icon devices, with buttons for macros and a screen for securityspy.
The popup window was so beautiful with my webpage : black fade in/fade out, slider. When I click on a device, imediatly the popup appears where I cliked and I only have to click on/off or slide. It's magic !
With the new techniques : no more fade in/out, no more sliders, I can't see no more my webpage because a new blank window is opened, I have to move the mouse, click the value, then I have to close the window to go back to my webpage ! The magic has dissapeared...

Please people, ask Matt to bring this feature back only for simple devices ! :shock:

Just for statistics, why don't you make a survey, that will let you know if people use :
- Indigo Touch only
- Indigo Touch and exceptionally web browser
- more Indigo Touch than web browser
- 50/50
- more web browser than Indigo Touch
- Web browser and exceptionally Indigo Touch
- Web browser only

It could be interesting for your development !

I don't believe it is on the server anymore, but if you need it I can post it again for you.
I tried to find beta 7 on Announcement but the link downloads the last version. If you can post it again it would be very nice ! Thank you Matt !

Lalit

Posted on
Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:28 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

I definitely understand where you are coming from. Sometimes we have to take a small step back as we take a big step forward. The ultimate goal is for the functionality available in Indigo Touch to match the functionality available from the Web UI. They currently aren't the same: Indigo Touch doesn't allow editing of Variable values at all but does have better popup UI functionality.

Hopefully in the next major revisions of Indigo Touch and the Indigo Server we can continue to get them more in parity.

In the mean time, I've re-posted the 4.0.0 beta 7 for you.

Page 1 of 1